• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    BlueSkyGA
    Newest Member
    BlueSkyGA
May 24-? Severe Thread

Hoosier

I'm uneasy about tomorrow.  Shortwave riding around the ridge into the area.  Warm front in the vicinity.  Strong CAPEs, decent hodos, respectable bulk shear.  00z EMC WRF makes for a very ugly evening tomorrow for nrn IL/IN.

Not sure it will get that bad, but definitely a bit uneasy.

LCL's look kinda high to me. Not really seeing much of a tornado threat at this point. Certainly can't discount other types of severe though.

• Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply

LCL's look kinda high to me.  Not really seeing much of a tornado threat at this point.  Certainly can't discount other types of severe though.

BTW I am basing that off of the NAM. GFS would be more favorable in that regard but not sure I trust its thermos.

I'm uneasy about tomorrow. Shortwave riding around the ridge into the area. Warm front in the vicinity. Strong CAPEs, decent hodos, respectable bulk shear. 00z EMC WRF makes for a very ugly evening tomorrow for nrn IL/IN.

http://www.emc.ncep....yle/spcprod/00/

Not sure it will get that bad, but definitely a bit uneasy.

I think this has the right idea just probably too far South and probably a touch too early in the day.

Severe thunderstorm warning just north of Davenport, IA. Heading your way Cyclone!

SEVERE WEATHER STATEMENT

NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE QUAD CITIES IA IL

1236 AM CDT SAT MAY 26 2012

IAC045-163-ILC161-195-260630-

/O.CON.KDVN.SV.W.0041.000000T0000Z-120526T0630Z/

SCOTT IA-CLINTON IA-ROCK ISLAND IL-WHITESIDE IL-

1236 AM CDT SAT MAY 26 2012

...A SEVERE THUNDERSTORM WARNING REMAINS IN EFFECT UNTIL 130 AM CDT

FOR SOUTHWESTERN WHITESIDE...NORTHEASTERN ROCK ISLAND...SOUTHERN

CLINTON AND NORTHERN SCOTT COUNTIES...

AT 1234 AM CDT...NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE DOPPLER RADAR CONTINUED TO

INDICATE A SEVERE THUNDERSTORM CAPABLE OF PRODUCING DAMAGING WINDS

AROUND 60 MPH...AND QUARTER SIZE HAIL. THIS STORM WAS LOCATED

APPROXIMATELY NEAR DONAHUE...OR 11 MILES NORTH OF DAVENPORT...MOVING

EAST AT 35 MPH.

OTHER LOCATIONS IN THE WARNING INCLUDE BUT ARE NOT LIMITED TO

ELDRIDGE...DAVENPORT MUNICIPAL AIRPORT...LONG GROVE...DEWITT...PARK

VIEW...SCOTT COUNTY PARK...MALONE...MCCAUSLAND...PRINCETON...LOW

MOOR...FOLLETTS...PRINCETON WILDLIFE AREA...CLINTON MUNICIPAL

AIRPORT...PORT BYRON...ROCK CREEK PARK...CORDOVA...CAMANCHE...

CLINTON...ALBANY...HILLSDALE...EAST CLINTON...GARDEN PLAIN AND NEWTON

CORNERS.

THIS INCLUDES INTERSTATE 80 IN IOWA BETWEEN MILE MARKERS 282 AND 283.

THIS INCLUDES INTERSTATE 88 BETWEEN MILE MARKERS 11 AND 17.

Yeah been watching it. Nice light show on the western horizon ATM. Cell is slowly dying off though from the looks of things.

Looks like a typical thunderstorm at this point. Lot more thunderstorm action further north.

Cells starting to pop in S WI now.

The desperation of no tornadoes in '12 is starting to get the best of me lol. Thinking of heading out to Nebraska or northern KS tomorrow. Setup is far from perfect but I'm fiending for tornadogenesis lol. My regular chase buddy is stuck in MO this weekend with his wife, so may have to make the trek alone. My other friends just aren't that into chasing unfortunately.

Cyclone already showing 86F...holy crap...100F?

87/66 now with full sun.

Chickened out on the chase at the last minute. Gotta be honest the 5% SPC tornado probs basically made my final decision lol. Probably be kicking myself later today, but oh well. Still like the area just east of Hill City later today. That's where I would have targeted.

Slight risk for tomorrow.

Somewhat interesting setup for eastern Iowa tomorrow. Frontal timing slowed a bit with the 12z guidance. As SPC mentioned with the latest update the shear is pretty marginal for tornadoes, but overall bulk shear and decent instability look nice for general severe. Still wouldn't be surprised to see an isolated tornado or two somewhere along that line. Some of the soundings show just enough turning in the lower few km to keep things a bit interesting. The NAM is probably overdoing the instability again (2500j/kg), but there should be a narrow axis of decent moisture just ahead of the CF late tomorrow. If we can get instability close to 2000j/kg over a narrow corridor I'll be happy.

EDIT: 4km NAM blows up a nice looking broken line of cells in eastern Iowa up into Wisconsin late tomorrow.

Nice tongue of theta-e feeding into eastern Iowa just off the surface late tomorrow.

NAM_221_2012052712_F36_THTE_925_MB.png

DVN threw a wet blanket on tomorrow's setup. Don't know if I 100% agree with this, but it certainly isn't a huge setup nonetheless. Think we may see a little more than what they're advertising here though...

AGAIN POOR SHEAR AND FORCING PROFILES ARE

SIMILAR TO LAST FRONT SUGGESTING SCATTERED STORMS ALONG FRONT. LOCAL

TOOLS AND TECHNIQUES SUGGEST SOME STRONG TO POSSIBLY ISOLATED SEVERE

STORMS ALONG FRONT LATE PM IF T/TD REACH 86/63 WITH SBCAPE AOA 1200

J/KG. MAX HAIL SIZE UP TO AROUND 1.25 INCHES AND GUSTY STRAIGHT LINE

WINDS UP TO 50-60 MPH IN THE STRONGEST STORMS. HENCE...A FEW SEVERE

STORMS ARE POSSIBLE UNTIL EARLY EVENING HOURS IF THINGS COME TOGETHER

PROPERLY...BUT THIS WOULD STILL BE MARGINAL...SPOTTY AND LOWER END

SEVERE STORM EVENT IF IT OCCURS.

As far as tomorrow goes... imo it screams late-night dying MCS for SEMI. I think to get anything severe we'll need some storms to initiate right over us in the evening...which a few models have shown happening and DTX mentions in their AFD

As far as tomorrow goes... imo it screams late-night dying MCS for SEMI. I think to get anything severe we'll need some storms to initiate right over us in the evening...which a few models have shown happening and DTX mentions in their AFD

There might be 2 waves tomorrow, 1 that forms on the prefrontal trough/land-lake interaction boundary across GRR's area and then the 2nd wave will be on the warm front. Also I don't expect the stuff to be dying as it comes in even at night, the CAPEs stay high and the LLJ kicks in around/after 00z. I think tomorrow is actually looking really good.

Looking at it again I guess I was under estimating how much instability there'd be late at night. Still, the NAM only shows around 30 kts of shear and the GFS only 750 j/kg of CAPE. LLJ will kick in at just around the right time though, so that's a plus.

To which part? Curious what you are thinking on this.

based on timing alone...the "we'll need storms to initiate right over us in the evening" line is way off. Frontal initiation will be in Iowa or far western Illinois and push into MI later in the evening.

based on timing alone...the "we'll need storms to initiate right over us in the evening" line is way off. Frontal initiation will be in Iowa or far western Illinois and push into MI later in the evening.

There will be stuff forming in Michigan along the prefrontal trough/land-lake interaction boundary also late in the afternoon. This is very typical to setups like this. SPC 4km WRF show this starting to occur at the very end of the run.

Both DTX and GRR made mention of this occurring in their AFDs also.

There will be stuff forming in Michigan along the prefrontal trough/land-lake interaction boundary also late in the afternoon. This is very typical to setups like this. SPC 4km WRF show this starting to occur at the very end of the run.

Both DTX and GRR made mention of this occurring in their AFDs also.

I wasn't paying attention to that play but I don't see overnight MCS activity putting a damp on those prospects either.

87/66 now with full sun.

Chickened out on the chase at the last minute. Gotta be honest the 5% SPC tornado probs basically made my final decision lol. Probably be kicking myself later today, but oh well. Still like the area just east of Hill City later today. That's where I would have targeted.

Looks like I would have busted. Really didn't think there would be as many tornadoes as there has been up in Nebraska.

I'll save today's real bust for tomorrow in Iowa lol.

I wasn't paying attention to that play but I don't see overnight MCS activity putting a damp on those prospects either.

I think hm8 is talking about a dying MCS moving in late Monday Night, not tonight. Which if this slows up any the cold front might not come through until well after midnight.

Archived