• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    BlueSkyGA
    Newest Member
    BlueSkyGA
Accu Weathers Summer Forecast

Why don't they just stamp CLIMO on the map? LOL.

Cool on the CA coast.

Warm in the Southeast.

Showers and Tstms over Florida.

Drier than winter and spring over TX and LA.

Mid-late season tstms over AZ and NM.

That's worse than climo, that's the definition of summer! The only departure is there $-whoring plug for active severe from Chicago to State College to the 95 corridor.

So, I love a good AccuWeather bashing as much as the next person... but maybe we shouldn't bash their forecast until we see if it verifies.

Speaking of, maybe we need to save a screenshot (because we know that they are prone to change their forecasts to make them more accurate) and then compare at the end of the summer. It's also worth checking back with them throughout the summer to see how many times they tweak the forecast to make it more accurate...

Also, do they make more in-depth reasoning of their forecast thinking available anywhere? Is that something that the Pro site gets? I'd be really intrigued to hear what goes into their forecasts, aside from ENSO and climo and a dartboard.

So, I love a good AccuWeather bashing as much as the next person... but maybe we shouldn't bash their forecast until we see if it verifies.

Speaking of, maybe we need to save a screenshot (because we know that they are prone to change their forecasts to make them more accurate) and then compare at the end of the summer. It's also worth checking back with them throughout the summer to see how many times they tweak the forecast to make it more accurate...

Also, do they make more in-depth reasoning of their forecast thinking available anywhere? Is that something that the Pro site gets? I'd be really intrigued to hear what goes into their forecasts, aside from ENSO and climo and a dartboard.

I hear they incorporate tsunami debris (TD) and it's given a lot of weight in their seasonal predictions. In fact, TD basically drove this past winter's record CONUS warmth.

It seems what they're predicting is a heat ridge to dominate over the Plains/Rockies and for it to be more troughy over the Northeast.

This was my interpretation of it. I assume "lack of prolonged heat" in the northeast means cooler than normal, but of course they don't actually say cooler than normal so a slightly above normal can still verify their forecast. Also, the active severe weather near the base of a northeast trough makes some sense, but also does not allow for one to ever quantitatively verify it.

LaNina/LaNada summers tend to damp heat up in the NE so there is some precedence there for their gradient idea - the active severe weather business is simply demarcating that boundary.

On another take, NCEP's write up calls for warm departures for the OV and NE and MA regions.

One thing i have personally noted over the last decade is that whenever so much as a modestly warm pattern appeals to any given period of time what tends to verify in the books are outright positive departures - for me that trend is tough to discount.

I don't know if I agree with them this time.

They do have traditional maps for their summer forecast... it's just a bit hard to find:

Thank you for the find! I'm not quite sure why they think the ridge will be that strong during the summer... would be nice to see the discussion, too, if it's available.

Archived