• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Monty
    Newest Member
    Monty
May 4th - 16th Severe Weather Thread

andyhb

Well my C/W fellow posters, some interesting news. I have accepted a position as a general met in Anchorage, AK. I will be leaving NE in 1.5 months. I don't plan on leaving the forums or quitting as mod though, at least that is the plan. I am sure most of you would much rather see me leave ;)

But it is quite a day for me. Severe weather is something I am still delving into...I will fully admit my knowledge is noobish compared to some of the elite posters here, but winter weather has always been my love. Anchorage should fit me nicely.

Wow, congrats! That would be a very cool place to live. Should be pretty interesting up there.

• Replies 627
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wow, congrats! That would be a very cool place to live. Should be pretty interesting up there.

I see what you did there.

Also, for me, I forgot to mention this, but I have moved up to Vancouver for awhile to work on an assignment. Will also be looking into attending the University of B.C. for a bit.

Well my C/W fellow posters, some interesting news. I have accepted a position as a general met in Anchorage, AK. I will be leaving NE in 1.5 months. I don't plan on leaving the forums or quitting as mod though, at least that is the plan. I am sure most of you would much rather see me leave ;)

But it is quite a day for me. Severe weather is something I am still delving into...I will fully admit my knowledge is noobish compared to some of the elite posters here, but winter weather has always been my love. Anchorage should fit me nicely.

Congrats! Alaska is quite the move. Enjoy! :)

Have I ever mentioned I think another radar site near Laredo might be a good thing. I think I have mentioned something between FWD, SHV and POE for East Texas before.

PRELIMINARY LOCAL STORM REPORT

NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE BROWNSVILLE TX

316 PM CDT TUE MAY 08 2012

..TIME... ...EVENT... ...CITY LOCATION... ...LAT.LON...

..DATE... ....MAG.... ..COUNTY LOCATION..ST.. ...SOURCE....

..REMARKS..

1238 PM TSTM WND DMG 15 NW ZAPATA 27.05N 99.43W

05/08/2012 ZAPATA TX EMERGENCY MNGR

THREE TO FOUR HOMES WITH ROOF DAMAGE IN SAN YGNACIO AS

WELL AS ONE MOBILE HOME DESTROYED.

&&

EVENT NUMBER BRO1200090

$$

CASTILLO

Have I ever mentioned I think another radar site near Laredo might be a good thing. I think I have mentioned something between FWD, SHV and POE for East Texas before.

[/size]

how many people live out there?

[/size]

Yeah the Arklatex radar hole is a bad one, parts of GA as well, one in N Georgia, W Minnesota, W North Dakota (although one could raise questions about population), near Greenville, MS, etc. would also be a good idea. Actually, for the Greenville one, I thought I heard awhile ago that they were going to put one in Monroe, LA, which would address that nicely.

:thumbsup:

Hey, no need to leave or step down, either. I mean, maybe most of us would like to see it, but AK does still qualify as western U.S. ;)

In all seriousness, congratulations on what's become an increasingly-impressive accomplishment (advancement in the NWS). Can't wait for the pics you'll be able to get up there, both snow-related and otherwise.

Congrats!!! NWS? I assume so... ;)

how many people live out there?

I even posted on my FB at lunch. That cell looked so juicy as it crossed from Tamaulipas.

San Ygnacio is a census-designated place (CDP) in Zapata County, Texas, in the United States. As of the 2010 census, the CDP population was 667. It is named for the prominent Spanish saint, Ignatius of Loyola. The portion of the community between the Rio Grande and U.S. Highway 83 is listed on the National Register of Historic Places as San Ygnacio Historic District.

I even posted on my FB at lunch. That cell looked so juicy as it crossed from Tamaulipas.

the cell south of the border looks pretty solid. maybe we'll end up in mexico this yr. i'll make sure my automatic weapon is in working order.

Thanks to everyone for the nice words. Right now we have a relatively small subforum, but it is a great group in my opinion. I know I will remain an active poster here...the lower 48 undoubtedly has some of the most amazing weather in the world...especially the plains. I don't think I can ever remove myself from this weather regime.

@brettjrob

You are right on...it is becomingly increasingly difficult to move anywhere these days in the NWS. Lack of retirements and increasing intern positions as the NWS phases out the HMT is making general met positions much more sought after. Most offices are actually only promoting from within...making it even more difficult to move around. I feel pretty darn lucky...especially as I doubt I am top candidate material. My skillset in program areas such as fire weather, aviation, marine, etc. is limited compared to many others. I am excited for the challenges ANC will provide....because they are going to be extensive.

Congrats, Baro on the new position. Guess the number of tors this season at North Platte was getting to you. lol Will continue to learn from and enjoy your input here.

Oh gosh...severe ops....don't get me started. I dread severe season, and a repeat of last summer would have messed with my psyche, lol. I wish non NWS weather enthusiasts could see how severe ops work at a WFO...it really gets incredibly crazy during the bigger events.

the cell south of the border looks pretty solid. maybe we'll end up in mexico this yr. i'll make sure my automatic weapon is in working order.

It does, and it has zero severe reports. Lack of humanity FTL. Reminds me of pretty much 3/4ths of our CWA...especially much of Cherry County. Trying to get any severe reports is almost impossible.

Yeah to be fair, as Baro mentioned, March 2nd was one of the worst early March tornado events the country has seen, and the OH Valley really hasn't seen anything like it in quite awhile. If you discount the 4/27 and 5/22 events last year, it is the deadliest outbreak since Super Tuesday 2008...

Leap Day in own right was quite significant, there hadn't been an EF4 in IL in a long time and the same with IN with the New Pekin/Henryville tornado on 3/2.

4/14 was one of the more impressive early season Plains outbreaks in quite awhile, and the Woodward tornado was the deadliest in Western OK in a long time (Piedmont/El Reno last year was more Central OK).

I absolutely agree. Late January through early April saw lots of intense tornadic activity and was in no way a flop. I meant to say the rest of spring, as in from now on. Even then, I wouldn't bet on that. June can put out some decent outbreaks. We usually see one every year, even 2009. As for summer, you can see some impressive Upper Plains activity once in a while, along with an occasional Ohio Valley or Eastern US outbreak.

I can't imagine what the HUN and BMX offices were going through on 4/27 last year...

Likewise, I can't imagine what ICT went through on 4/14 (Although 4/27 was significantly bigger)... Having to issue a Tier 3 Tornado Emergency for themselves/ Wichita, for having a "Violent, Large, and Extremely Dangerous" Tornado headed their way... But thankfully it ended up being a Moderately Strong Tornado...

Be sure to give a shout out to former Wichita NWS Met Mary-Beth Schreck. She is an incredible winter weather forecaster. Congratulations on the new gig.

Oh gosh...severe ops....don't get me started. I dread severe season, and a repeat of last summer would have messed with my psyche, lol. I wish non NWS weather enthusiasts could see how severe ops work at a WFO...it really gets incredibly crazy during the bigger events.

Baro, first of all congrats!!! and I look forward to reading your future post's, please don't be a stranger. 2nd of all regarding the quote above. As someone who has toured their local WFO (MPX), I can understand how chaotic it could be during a major severe weather outbreak. One person to man the Ham radio station, another to man the phone lines, several mets watching the radar scans, another one on the phones to the local emergency managers. Let alone one or two hydrologist on staff that may be there watching for large scale flooding. Now lets toss in the fact that there is limited stations that can be used to draw polygons for warnings that go out the local media mets that they can show on TV or describe on radio. Then there is question of priority, do you have any large "targets"..ie.. a major league baseball game, or a large outdoor concert with several thousands of people in attendance, the list goes on and on. I can just imagine what was going on at the WFO's that support MN during the June 17th 2010 outbreak, they did a amazing job. I would like to point them out, Duluth, Grand Forks, Aberdeen, Sioux Falls, Lacrosse and Minneapolis, they did a incredible job.

Please, If you haven't toured your local WFO please call them and ask if you can do so, it's well worth a weather weenies time.

I can't imagine what the HUN and BMX offices were going through on 4/27 last year...

Or when a WFO has to deal with several consecutive days of severe/tornadic weather. Like OUN from 5/8-9/03, DDC from 5/4-5/07, or DDC/GLD from 5/22-23/08. Gotta utilize all personnel when both surveying and warning tasks need to be completed. Also couldn't imagine how hectic WFO MEG was last year with dealing with both 4/27 and the historic floods afterwards.

Baro, first of all congrats!!! and I look forward to reading your future post's, please don't be a stranger. 2nd of all regarding the quote above. As someone who has toured their local WFO (MPX), I can understand how chaotic it could be during a major severe weather outbreak. One person to man the Ham radio station, another to man the phone lines, several mets watching the radar scans, another one on the phones to the local emergency managers. Let alone one or two hydrologist on staff that may be there watching for large scale flooding.

Please, If you haven't toured your local WFO please call them and ask if you can do so, it's well worth a weather weenies time.

I have also had a tour of a WFO - One i went to was in Hastings, NE . I spent the better part of 2-3 hours there on a "slight risk" day -I was there early in the day to avoid being there if something did happen. Ended up being a bust day. I was pretty awesome there, I was even allowed to do some "fake" warnings on their training program thing -making polygons and everything. With only 4-5 people working there during an outbreak, i can see how its gets crazy, taking phone calls, putting out the warnings on multiple cells, looking over radar, ect.

Anyways, congrats B/I im sure you will love it there with all the winter storms.

I have also had a tour of a WFO - One i went to was in Hastings, NE . I spent the better part of 2-3 hours there on a "slight risk" day -I was there early in the day to avoid being there if something did happen. Ended up being a bust day. I was pretty awesome there, I was even allowed to do some "fake" warnings on their training program thing -making polygons and everything. With only 4-5 people working there during an outbreak, i can see how its gets crazy, taking phone calls, putting out the warnings on multiple cells, looking over radar, ect.

Anyways, congrats B/I im sure you will love it there with all the winter storms.

I have created synoptic scenarios for potential tornado events on my spare time, with convective outlooks, watches, maps, etc.

One of them that I created back last year for a period actually looked quite similar to the March 2nd trough during some of its earlier model runs.

Archived