• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Monty
    Newest Member
    Monty
May weather discussion

Mr Torchey

Just socked in with hvy fog here. I swear it's foggier here than any other place in the state. It's some kind of weird phenomenon. Nowhere else in town is it foggy tonight..as I was out and about earlie, but as soon as you see my hill it's shrouded in fog...Never quite understood why it happens here so often

South winds do not downslope where you are. That moist wind comes off LI sound and does nothing but lift 980'. Sure there are hills where it may descend a bit, but that phenomenon makes sense to me.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You taught a good lesson on that. Learned something new today.

As the trough digs you get a response of the thermal gradient tightening on the east side. You'll also have moisture return trying to come in off the Atlantic. It may not be a due east wind to maximize the response, but a SSE wind is all you need.

Loop the composite reflectivity for the NE at 20z. Look how the area blossoms and even pivots a bit. Maybe this model is aggressive, but it's likely correct on the idea of all this.

http://rapidrefresh.noaa.gov/hrrrconus/jsloop.cgi?dsKeys=hrrr:&runTime=2012050920&plotName=cref_t3sfc&fcstInc=60&numFcsts=16&model=hrrr&ptitle=HRRR%20Model%20Fields%20-%20Experimental&maxFcstLen=15&fcstStrLen=-1&resizePlot=1&domain=t3&wjet=1

South winds do not downslope where you are. That moist wind comes off LI sound and does nothing but lift 980'. Sure there are hills where it may descend a bit, but that phenomenon makes sense to me.

But here at 1,000 feet it gets foggy after a summer t-storm, before and after snowstorms...NE winds/back doors..it just is always foggy in allkinds of scenarios when other places aren't

But here at 1,000 feet it gets foggy after a summer t-storm, before and after snowstorms...NE winds/back doors..it just is always foggy in allkinds of scenarios when other places aren't

Well you are on a hill which will always get fog. Weird mesoscale things happen even with just a few hundred feet of elevation.

Golfed on the west side of the crest tonight and the sun broke out for a very pleasant round. As soon as I got to the east side of the crest we were still locked in fog and mist.

Archived