Monty
    Newest Member
    Monty
March, in May........SNE finally gets its XXX winter trough

Mr Torchey

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Lol tough to balance everything out when it comes to weenieing out and stuff...we all do it. It's just nice to be able to really get down to the MET when there's something interesting brewing, which there really wasn't been lately so its whatever.

Maybe next week is semi interesting with that low. Otherwise, nothing too exciting. However with the mean trough in the east it appears..could offer some rain chances and eventual entrainment of higher dews.

I wonder of BDL can clear out a bit. I took the under on 70 and it seems like clouds may be stubborn but cigs are rising. MAV MOS likely to bust too high it would appear. Actually MET too I guess.

Socked in down here, about as dreary as it gets. Sunday should be an ace day, after working 3 straight 18 hour shifts I will need it, beer fire pit, horseshoes Sunday FTW

i wonder if any of the swells from the ocean low (sinking now) to 40N 55W and basically sit and spin in area for a few days will reach E facing shores of SNE.

i have a bit of a swell fetish. looking for some E/ENE swell action ..got a 5/3 suit

I will check my surfer buddies site, BRB

i wonder if any of the swells from the ocean low (sinking now) to 40N 55W and basically sit and spin in area for a few days will reach E facing shores of SNE.

i have a bit of a swell fetish. looking for some E/ENE swell action ..got a 5/3 suit

Thursday thru Sunday - Thursday has high pressure just to our east and moving to the SE thru the day into Friday. This continues the onshore wind flow for most spots, meanwhile weak low pressure NE of Bermuda moves further east and provides a small spoke of small E swells for most shorelines. This continues into Friday. On Friday night low pressure moves off the southern New England coastline and intensifies slowly as it moves SE on Saturday. Local NE winds increase on Saturday with chop being the dominant wave action amidst onshore flow, while a small SW swell tries to sneak into southern shores amidst NE winds. The low pressure moves ESE away from the region and intensifies passing N of Bermuda on Sunday while high pressure to our NW controls our local weather with generally light N/NE winds amidst small E swells albeit slightly longer period.Monday thru Thursday - High pressure nearly over us on Monday with small E swells from the ocean gale center. Mid-latitude flow should have a frontal system approaching from our west on Tuesday with small E swells continuing along with tiny S chop developing late. Wednesday the front moves into our region with light S winds increasing and small S chop building along with continued E swells. Thursday the front washes out over the region with light S/SE/E winds and small S swells amidst small E swells from the ocean gale center. There may be a substantial uptick in the easterly swells for this time range next week but for now we just stay the course with the small range, the key factor will be finding those time periods where local winds allow for offshore winds for the easterly swells, less so major swells

Hey SNEers,

I'm off to OKC tomorrow morning for a tornado chase trip.

Unfortunately best parameters of the week look to be Sunday eastern KS (high CAPE and EHI, moderate shear, might produce despite suboptimal UL jet)... thereafter western ridge rebuilds itself with northern stream jet way into Canada. A weak cutoff low will be meandering in the southwest, but the most dominant feature will be this damn XXX trough that we haven't seen all winter. As my luck will have it, one of the statistically highest weeks for tornadoes in the Plains will be pretty quiet. But I'll post whatever I see, most likely in the Central/Western forum.

Wish me luck!

I will check my surfer buddies site, BRB

i follow this stuff pretty close ginx...esp when i was in florida ....i actually contribute a bit of swell forecasting to a surfing forecast site ...dade county weather.

i know S coastal mass is not in the swell window for this....but i'm thinking the elbow of the cape (esp. the southern half) is prolly in line for some...but i was wondering more if there was some wiggle room to get this swell toward like nantasket or nahant as well...for sunday

Hey SNEers,

I'm off to OKC tomorrow morning for a tornado chase trip.

Unfortunately best parameters of the week look to be Sunday eastern KS (high CAPE and EHI, moderate shear, might produce despite suboptimal UL jet)... thereafter western ridge rebuilds itself with northern stream jet way into Canada. A weak cutoff low will be meandering in the southwest, but the most dominant feature will be this damn XXX trough that we haven't seen all winter. As my luck will have it, one of the statistically highest weeks for tornadoes in the Plains will be pretty quiet. But I'll post whatever I see, most likely in the Central/Western forum.

Wish me luck!

Good luck, have a safe trip, ya never know when something could pop

i follow this stuff pretty close ginx...esp when i was in florida ....i actually contribute a bit of swell forecasting to a surfing forecast site ...dade county weather.

i know S coastal mass is not in the swell window for this....but i'm thinking the elbow of the cape (esp. the southern half) is prolly in line for some...but i was wondering more if there was some wiggle room to get this swell toward like nantasket or nahant as well...for sunday

check out my post

I've had some off and on sunny breaks here. Feels, quite warm and muggy compared to the past few days. I'm hoping to get some convective activity in these parts, but it'll take more clearing to do the trick. I was salivating over those 50Kers in W NY with golf balls last night. I noticed some 70-75 dBZ returns in those suckers as they were near Ithaca. W NY almost always trumps SNE in the severe wx department and yesterday was no exception.

My good friend Mike just left to head back from a senior Tour of Indonesia, great pics on FB, hit a Coral Reef though, got tagged pretty good and infected but the surf was sweet.

check out my post

Totally pumped for forecasting swells this summer...one of my many fetishes. It'll never surpass my sea breeze fetish though :whistle:

Totally pumped for forecasting swells this summer...one of my many fetishes. It'll never surpass my sea breeze fetish though :whistle:

Amazing how much variance you get from beach to beach depending on wind, swell direction and period. Point Judith RI has that ideal juxtaposition to maximize almost any swell direction or wind component. Couple other hidden spots in RI too.

Amazing how much variance you get from beach to beach depending on wind, swell direction and period. Point Judith RI has that ideal juxtaposition to maximize almost any swell direction or wind component. Couple other hidden spots in RI too.

Yes sir! Aunt Carrie's is an annual tradition for my family. Usually try to get into Narragansett Town Beach instead of Scarborough because it's cleaner and more south facing. They absolutely KILL you if you're out of state.

But the differences even along route 1 from Westerly to Charlestown are pretty extreme on occassion.

I've had some off and on sunny breaks here. Feels, quite warm and muggy compared to the past few days. I'm hoping to get some convective activity in these parts, but it'll take more clearing to do the trick. I was salivating over those 50Kers in W NY with golf balls last night. I noticed some 70-75 dBZ returns in those suckers as they were near Ithaca. W NY almost always trumps SNE in the severe wx department and yesterday was no exception.

Yes but very rare any good severe weather hits Ithaca, storms tend to split to the north and south of them due to local topographical influences. Looks like the hail core of that storm was just south of the city proper.

Archived