BlueSkyGA
    Newest Member
    BlueSkyGA
Early May (1st-7th) Severe Chances

Stebo

• Replies 707
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Pretty complicated and uncertain forecast for today. Right now I'm liking I-69 and north to get clipped.

Unfortunately it may be another day where a lack of any good forcing in SEMI causes some real good parameters to go to waste.

Pesky E-W oriented outflow boundary keeping the clouds hanging in around here. Convection could trigger on it later on this afternoon but it seems to be capped at the moment. It is up to 80 degrees with a 66 dewpoint even without full sun and there's more sunshine and a cumulus field to the south.

I guess you folks in WI are hoping things start lighting up before the forcing pushes farther SE.

Pesky E-W oriented outflow boundary keeping the clouds hanging in around here. Convection could trigger on it later on this afternoon but it seems to be capped at the moment. It is up to 80 degrees with a 66 dewpoint even without full sun and there's more sunshine and a cumulus field to the south.

I guess you folks in WI are hoping things start lighting up before the forcing pushes farther SE.

that weak front really isn't moving all that fast

AREA FORECAST DISCUSSION

NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE CHICAGO/ROMEOVILLE IL

1124 AM CDT THU MAY 3 2012

DISCUSSION

1025 AM CDT

A SHORT WAVE/MCV TRACKING NORTHEAST ACROSS WI THIS MORNING WITHIN STRONG SOUTHWEST FLOW ALOFT HAS BEEN THE FOCUS FOR CONVECTION TO OUR NORTH. A SECONDARY AND LIKELY ASSOCIATED CIRCULATION IS SEEN IN THE RADAR MOSAIC/VISIBLE IMAGERY JUST NORTH OF DUBUQUE. AHEAD OF THIS...AGITATED CU AND ISOLATED SHOWERS HAVE DEVELOPED IN SOUTHERN WI AND FAR NORTHERN IL. THE AIR MASS AHEAD OF THIS ACROSS OUR AREA IS CHARACTERIZED BY TEMPERATURES WARMING THROUGH THE 70S AND DEW POINTS HAVING INCREASED INTO THE MID 60S...WITH EVEN SOME PATCHY UPPER 60S. STEEP LAPSE RATES ALOFT SEEN ON AREA ROABS HAS FURTHER AIDED IN THE DEVELOPMENT OF 1500 TO 2000 J/KG OF MLCAPE ACROSS THE FORECAST AREA AS ANALYZED BY THE SPC MESOANALYSIS.

EXPECT THAT AS THE MID-LEVEL CIRCULATIONS IN WI TRACK NORTHEAST...SCATTERED CONVECTION WILL BE FAVORED ON THEIR PERIPHERY ACROSS SOUTHERN WI...POTENTIALLY INTO NORTHERN IL THROUGH THE NEXT THREE TO FOUR HOURS. THOUGH THE LOW-LEVEL JET IS DIMINISHING...ITS 35 KT NOSE POINTS INTO NORTHWEST AND NORTHERN IL...ALLOWING FOR A CONTINUED MOIST FEED UNDERNEATH THE ELEVATED MIXED LAYER. THE CIRRUS SHIELD IS FAIRLY THIN FROM THE OVERNIGHT CONVECTION...SO LOW-LEVEL DESTABILIZATION SHOULD CONTINUE. ITS CHALLENGING TO SAY IF THERE WILL BE SOME SUPPRESSION IN THE WAKE OF THESE MORNING AND EARLY AFTERNOON VORT MAXES...BECAUSE THE MOIST SOUTHWEST FLOW IS SO UNSETTLED. WITH POSSIBLE CONVECTIVE OUTFLOWS/BOUNDARIES ROOTED ALOFT AS WELL...THESE COULD OFFER A FOCUS FOR REDEVELOPING CONVECTION INTO THE AFTERNOON ACROSS MAINLY THE ILLINOIS FORECAST AREA. THE SHORT WAVE SEEN IN SOUTHERN KS ON WATER VAPOR AND PROFILER ANALYSIS TRACKING NORTHEAST TOWARD THE AREA...IN TANDEM WITH A RE- INCREASING LOW- LEVEL JET...STILL LOOKS TO PROMOTE THE MOST WIDESPREAD CHANCES FOR THUNDERSTORMS DURING TONIGHT.

MTF

Clouds don't seem like a huge issue to me maybe unless a thick deck suddenly sets in. I notice temps are struggling some out around Moline but much of northern IL is around or in the 80's with high dews, which combined with the steep mid-level lapse rates means that good instability is already in place.

Clouds don't seem like a huge issue to me maybe unless a thick deck suddenly sets in. I notice temps are struggling some out around Moline but much of northern IL is around or in the 80's with high dews, which combined with the steep mid-level lapse rates means that good instability is already in place.

yeah we finally realized some quality instability at a reasonable hour.

Mixed layer CAPE already close to 2500 over south central lower MI.

The question is, will there be anything to trigger storms late this afternoon, or will things have to wait until this evening when the front slowly sinks into the area. I tend to feel that the severe threat would be diminished if the latter scenario happens, although I do feel there will be fairly widespread convection in either scenario.

just looking out the window, the CU area getting close...still will be a brief show if anything with better forcing a ways off

Totally socked in with cumulus here.

Yes, I thought initiation might start in SC Wisconsin. Maybe more cells to follow.

Looks like this cell is heading more east than northeast.

Just heavy rain here, not even a gust of wind.

I guess the storm is strong enough for a SWS:

Down towards Stoughton looks more intense.

...STRONG THUNDERSTORM MOVING INTO CENTRAL DANE COUNTY...

AT 1238 PM CDT...NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE DOPPLER RADAR INDICATED A

STRONG THUNDERSTORM 4 MILES SOUTH OF VERONA...MOVING NORTHEAST AT 30

MPH.

PENNY SIZE HAIL...WINDS GREATER THAN 30 MPH...OCCASIONAL CLOUD TO

GROUND LIGHTNING...BRIEF HEAVY DOWNPOURS...ARE POSSIBLE WITH THIS

STORM.

* THE THUNDERSTORM WILL BE NEAR...

FITCHBURG AND OREGON BY 1250 PM CDT...

MONONA BY 100 PM CDT...

MCFARLAND BY 105 PM CDT...

COTTAGE GROVE BY 115 PM CDT...

GUSTY WINDS MAY CAUSE SMALL OBJECTS SUCH AS TRASH BINS TO BLOW

AROUND. STAY AWAY FROM HIGH OBJECTS OUTDOORS SUCH AS TREES. SEEK

SHELTER IN A STURDY STRUCTURE UNTIL THIS STORM HAS PASSED.

Dane County cell went severe!

BULLETIN - IMMEDIATE BROADCAST REQUESTED

SEVERE THUNDERSTORM WARNING

NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE MILWAUKEE/SULLIVAN WI

1254 PM CDT THU MAY 3 2012

THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN SULLIVAN HAS ISSUED A

* SEVERE THUNDERSTORM WARNING FOR...

EAST CENTRAL DANE COUNTY IN SOUTH CENTRAL WISCONSIN...

WEST CENTRAL JEFFERSON COUNTY IN SOUTHEAST WISCONSIN...

* UNTIL 145 PM CDT

* AT 1252 PM CDT...NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE DOPPLER RADAR INDICATED A

SEVERE THUNDERSTORM CAPABLE OF PRODUCING QUARTER SIZE HAIL. THIS

STORM WAS LOCATED NEAR OREGON...AND MOVING EAST AT 30 MPH.

* LOCATIONS IMPACTED INCLUDE...

MONONA...MCFARLAND...STOUGHTON...COTTAGE GROVE...DEERFIELD...

CAMBRIDGE...LAKE RIPLEY...UTICA AND ROCKDALE.

PRECAUTIONARY/PREPAREDNESS ACTIONS...

SEVERE THUNDERSTORMS PRODUCE DAMAGING WIND IN EXCESS OF 60 MILES PER

HOUR...DESTRUCTIVE HAIL...DEADLY LIGHTNING...AND VERY HEAVY RAIN. FOR

YOUR PROTECTION MOVE TO AN INTERIOR ROOM ON THE LOWEST FLOOR OF YOUR

HOME OR BUSINESS. HEAVY RAINS FLOOD ROADS QUICKLY SO DO NOT DRIVE

INTO AREAS WHERE WATER COVERS THE ROAD.

Archived