• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Monty
    Newest Member
    Monty
April 14th, 2012 Plains High Risk

You are completely and utterly wrong if you think a 170 kt couplet at <1000 feet wasn't reaching the ground.

There was also a debris ball, albeit not classic.

Where did I say it wasn't reaching the ground? That's obvious. My only point was that it doesn't *appear* by either radar or early reports that this was a high-end violent tornado in the immediate Wichita metro...that's all.

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That couplet was 170 kts at 500 feet AGL. Major damage has been done, and the reports are just starting to come out. Multiple building collapses with people trapped on the S and E side of Wichita and the city is calling for numerous mutual aid. To say a disaster was averted well before daylight even shows what happened, is a little premature.

Radar images from that moment are spectacular/horrifying.

post-645-0-35632900-1334464266.png

post-645-0-73512100-1334464290.png

The radar image 5 minutes later is much different, debris must be involved.

post-645-0-33724900-1334464480.png

If you're a chaser talking on TV, don't talk about how many viewers you had on your live stream. If there is damage & injuries in the area, it comes off incredibly self-centered.

First off - i apologize, was still shook up and trying to fill time. Second off - I didn't know when I as on air and when I wasn't as several times I thought I was just talking to the anchors off the air.

north side of lincoln NE under the gun

BULLETIN - EAS ACTIVATION REQUESTED

TORNADO WARNING

NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE OMAHA/VALLEY NEBRASKA

1131 PM CDT SAT APR 14 2012

THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN OMAHA HAS ISSUED A

* TORNADO WARNING FOR...

EAST CENTRAL SEWARD COUNTY IN SOUTHEASTERN NEBRASKA...

LANCASTER COUNTY IN SOUTHEASTERN NEBRASKA...

* UNTIL 1200 AM CDT

* AT 1129 PM CDT...DOPPLER RADAR INDICATED A SEVERE THUNDERSTORM

CAPABLE OF PRODUCING A TORNADO. THIS DANGEROUS STORM WAS LOCATED

NEAR PLEASANT DALE...OR 13 MILES WEST OF LINCOLN...AND MOVING EAST

AT 55 MPH.

* LOCATIONS IMPACTED INCLUDE...

WAVERLY...MALCOLM...RAYMOND...NORTHERN LINCOLN AND DAVEY.

Radar images from that moment are spectacular/horrifying.

post-645-0-35632900-1334464266.png

post-645-0-73512100-1334464290.png

The radar image 5 minutes later is much different, debris must be involved.

post-645-0-33724900-1334464480.png

If you're trying to say that one pixel area of 60dbz was debris...you're wrong. Circulation wasn't even there and there was no CC lowering. The real tornado and attendant dp TDS was to the NW, but no enhanced reflectivity signature was apparent and CC didn't go deep into the non-met zone...which both happened earlier in the tornado's life cycle. That was my only point in the original post...

Lanny Dean

Chad Berryhill and I in search and rescue Haysville and south Wichita...filmed large violent wedge tornado from OK all the way to Wichita...please keep these folks in your prayers...

Haysville is where the mobile home park was destroyed. I'm afraid

we may find some fatalities here. 41 of 57 in tornadoes this year

where in mobile homes. Prayers indeed for these people.

Here is the latest STP. Notice how the cap is holding in the SE part of the highlighted region and the W part is linear. 95% of the area isn't getting significant tornadoes. Now can we all agree to stop posting these maps?

post-673-0-21666300-1334464285.jpg

What's your point? I for one like the maps, of course it's not 100% correct but what map is? Let alone the STP map. It's good to get and idea where the parameters are located, but of course it doesn't mean you will always get tornadoes.

Just seems kind of silly to pick a map and say not to use it because it's not 100% accurate.

If you're trying to say that one pixel area of 60dbz was debris...you're wrong. Circulation wasn't even there and there was no CC lowering. The real tornado and attendant dp TDS was to the NW, but no enhanced reflectivity signature was apparent and CC didn't go deep into the non-met zone...which both happened earlier in the tornado's life cycle. That was my only point in the original post...

You seriously need to stop posting nonsense in this thread and derailing important conversation. Read and learn more about meteorology and remote tornado observation techniques before you post your "analysis" again. Thanks.

Haysville is where the mobile home park was destroyed. I'm afraid

we may find some fatalities here. 41 of 57 in tornadoes this year

where in mobile homes. Prayers indeed for these people.

Needless to say if the early reports about the mobile home park are true it doesn't matter what strength the tornado was...and that's the biggest thing at the end of the day. My apologies if my posts about the radar structure of the storm seemed to overly downplay what...again...was clearly a significant and damaging event in Wichita. Obviously my point was misinterpreted.

You seriously need to stop posting nonsense in this thread and derailing important conversation. Read and learn more about meteorology and remote tornado observation techniques before you post your "analysis" again. Thanks.

My radar observations were accurate (and other mets can and actually earlier already backed me up on this)...but this is completely irrelevant now.

Who's to say that the 60dbz pixel wasn't debris from what was hit earlier being suspended in the air by the RFD? Really is no way to prove either way what it was.

Who's to say that the 60dbz pixel wasn't debris from what was hit earlier being suspended in the air by the RFD? Really is no way to prove either way what it was.

Oh...it could have been RFD related...I won't doubt that I guess. But I'm just speaking in terms of the tornado.

Clearly I've offended some folks on this and again I apologize. Dropping it now...

Uh, from earlier today... saw this in the SPC storm reports?

2235 THURMAN FREMONT IA 4082 9575 75 PERCENT OF THE TOWN OF THURMAN WAS DESTROYED. THE TOWN HAS BEEN EVACUATED WITH AN EMERGENCY SHELTER IN A NEARBY TOWN. NO POWER IN THE TOWN. NO MAJOR INJURIES. (OAX)

Great sign that there were no major injuries with that much of the town getting hit.

Report of 70-80 "victims" at Pinaire Mobile Home park in SE Wichita. Unknown extent of injuries. impassable due to debris.

mobile home park near 52nd Street South and Clifton was heavily damaged by a tornado that swept through Wichita tonight.

There also was a fire burning in the middle of the Pinaire Mobile Home Park, apparently caused by a ruptured natural gas line. There were no immediate reports of how many people might have been injured.

Emergency vehicles were having trouble getting to the park because of extensive damage to trees and power lines in the area. Many emergency responders were arriving on foot to the park.

http://www.kansas.com/2012/04/14/2296843/tornado-heavily-damages-south.html

Archived