• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Monty
    Newest Member
    Monty
Early April Winter Pattern Likely

CoastalWx

Oh yeah... but this is a "Early April Winter Pattern" thread and that's a winter set-up right there.

I'll still take a couple/few inches to pad the seasonal totals... plus with the ski resort closing, it'll be awesome for skinning/hiking and skiing untracked powder all day long.

Agreed. This would happen in 2012; a classic -NAO blocking pattern, just two months too late!

For you guys, it is a sweet deal for hiking and stuff..at least for the day it actually snows lol

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

snowing most of the day in stowe.....decided against sking today......conditions ...ehhh not so good .

looks like another lil lobe of moisture may touch of another period of snow for N greens right about now

Yeah mood flakes... only picked up a dusting at 1,500ft after 12 hours of light snow.

And good call on the skiing... like skiing down a highway rumble strip.

This is why the place is closing on April 1st because folks are here, and deciding not to ski. Can you say "lost interest"?

Agreed. This would happen in 2012; a classic -NAO blocking pattern, just two months too late!

For you guys, it is a sweet deal for hiking and stuff..at least for the day it actually snows lol

Well I'm all for it because I'd rather it snowing than just being 35F and windy.

It looks like the next two weeks will be pretty brutal with highs 35-45F and generally cloudy with light precip events... so if its going to be cold and raw, it might as well snow. Who cares if it melts in a day? It'll at least make that day more interesting.

Plenty of months coming up of warm weather... I'll take all the flakes in the air I can get right now.

Well I'm all for it because I'd rather it snowing than just being 35F and windy.

It looks like the next two weeks will be pretty brutal with highs 35-45F and generally cloudy with light precip events... so if its going to be cold and raw, it might as well snow. Who cares if it melts in a day? It'll at least make that day more interesting.

Plenty of months coming up of warm weather... I'll take all the flakes in the air I can get right now.

Lol typical mountain man :P but yeah I'm right there with you. This 32-35F and raw is boring as hell. Either snow or warm the eff up!

I think you guys need to create a subforum for mountain meteorology because the tone of these threads gets confused between those that live at or above 1,000 ft, who experience weather that at times has no comparison to everyone else. For the former, they are all giddy for the upcoming pattern and their posting is subjective around upslope this, or cut-off instability bursting that... Meanwhile, the latter finds this all repulsive because it's annoying cold but not enough for snow, and their post are subjected to THOSE attitudes...

I mean, seeing as no one is objective - haha

<p>

I think you guys need to create a subforum for mountain meteorology because the tone of these threads gets confused between those that live at or above 1,000 ft, who experience weather that at times has no comparison to everyone else.    For the former, they are all giddy for the upcoming pattern and their posting is subjective around upslope this, or cut-off instability bursting that...  Meanwhile, the latter finds this all repulsive because and their post are subjected to THOSE attitudes...

HUH?

I think you guys need to create a subforum for mountain meteorology because the tone of these threads gets confused between those that live at or above 1,000 ft, who experience weather that at times has no comparison to everyone else. For the former, they are all giddy for the upcoming pattern and their posting is subjective around upslope this, or cut-off instability bursting that... Meanwhile, the latter finds this all repulsive because it's annoying cold but not enough for snow, and their post are subjected to THOSE attitudes...

The tone gets confusing?

This is an Early April Winter Pattern thread, John, but maybe we should start a thread about those who are depressed about the cold ;)

We are talking about New England winter weather right? Is this about emotions and feelings or weather? lol.

Box likes interior SNE and south of pike for accumulating snow

SAT INTO SAT NIGHT...

NEARLY ZONAL FLOW WITH OPEN WAVE WILL LEAD TO LOW PRES PASSING S

OF THE REGION. GENERALLY FROM THE DELMARVA DUE E OUT TO SEA...AND

THEREFORE S OF THE 40/70 BENCHMARK. H85 DEFORMATION BANDING IS

CLOSER TO THE LOW CENTER...S OF THE S COAST AND THROUGH NYC METRO

AREA. HOWEVER...FURTHER ALOFT AT H7...INITIAL NE QUADRANT BAND

EXTENDS FROM SE MA THROUGH RI AND CT...FOLLOWED BY A SECONDARY NW

QUADRANT BAND AS THE LOW EXITS SAT EVENING OVER ERN COASTAL

LOCATIONS. GIVEN THE CONFLUENT ZONAL FLOW...THERE WILL LIKELY BE A

SHARP QPF GRADIENT SOMEWHERE OVER SRN NEW ENGLAND...BUT THIS IS

STILL UNCERTAIN DUE TO THE DIFFERENCE IN DYNAMICS BASED ON THE

STRENGTH OF THE WAVE. THE ECMWF/CMC BLEND USED AS A

BASELINE...HOWEVER...DOES SUGGEST AT LEAST SOME WETTING

PRECIPITATION INTO SRN NH AT THIS TIME.

THERMAL PROFILES ARE ALSO STILL SOMEWHAT IN QUESTION DUE TO

DIFFERENCE IN FINAL WAVE DEPTH. HOWEVER...AS STATED IN PREVIOUS

AFD...SOUNDINGS DUE FAVOR SFC TO H85 WETBULB ARE NEAR TO JUST

BELOW 0C ON ALL MODELS INTO THE MID MORNING SAT. THEREFORE...WHERE

PRECIP DOES FALL /PARTICULARLY SRN MA...CT...AND PORTIONS OF RI/

IT WILL LIKELY START AS A PERIOD OF LIGHT...BUT WET SNOW. THE

LIKELY CAVEAT WILL BE THE NEAR SHORE LOCATIONS OF THE S COAST AND

ERN COAST...WHERE A SLIGHT ONSHORE COMPONENT OF THE WIND /WITH E

TO SE FLOW EXPECTED/ WILL BRING IN MARITIME AIR WITH WATER TEMPS

NEAR +8C. THESE AREAS ARE LIKELY TO STAY RAIN. EXPECT THAT ALL

LOCATIONS WILL LIKELY SHIFT TO RAIN BY MID DAY AS THE SFC WARMS.

DUE TO THE DIFFERENCES AND UNCERTAINTY IN QPF CUTOFF...FINAL SNOW

TOTALS ARE LIKELY TO CHANGE IN UPCOMING FORECASTS. DRY CAA AND

HIGH PRES SHOULD ALLOW PRECIP TO COME TO AN END TOWARD SAT

EVENING.

Archived