• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    BlueSkyGA
    Newest Member
    BlueSkyGA
Henry Margusity Blames Record Heat on Japanese Tsunami Debris

So this debris absorbed more solar radiation and therefore the ocean fluxed more heat energy into the atmosphere? Thus, a persistent displacement of the polar and arctic jets occurred? Well, where were the continuous large-scale regions of deep convection? So strong that a powerful northerly energy transfer occurred while the debris was embedded in mid-lat westeries? I don't seem to recall those highly unusual storms.

I guess you can say whatever you want to cover your ass anymore.

So this debris absorbed more solar radiation and therefore the ocean fluxed more heat energy into the atmosphere? Thus, a persistent displacement of the polar and arctic jets occurred? Well, where were the continuous large-scale regions of deep convection? So strong that a powerful northerly energy transfer occurred while the debris was embedded in mid-lat westeries? I don't seem to recall those highly unusual storms.

You are thinking way to much. :whistle:

Wow..lol

Seems a few got a little exposed to too much heat on the brain. I am 99.9% certain both are gonna be wrong with the summer call of above normal temps. Nina to nino ( seems to be the direction we are headed ) does not favor it in the least bit for starters.

Never ceases to amaze me how people like to jump on a bandwagon when we see some extreme with temps. If it is cold then people go with the cold/below normal is just gonna keep on rolling and same thing when it is warmth/above normal. Remember the calls following the warm winter of 05-06? Then they went the cold route after 09-10/10-11 etc. Some day a few people in this field will learn.

I blame the frenzied action of March madness. This has excited the molecular structure of the tropopause and shifted the jet stream well north of Kentucky.

I blame it on Bush's failed economic policies, and the Yankees' failure to earn a pennant.

You are thinking way to much. :whistle:

Lol. Not really, just basic met dyno.

The other thing I "thought" about was the water vapor transfer. If HM believes the heat of the ocean is increased by all this debris, then it's either from insolation absorption or from the ocean not being able to vent...ie: not being able to adequately evaporate and cool at the surface. Similar to what was observed in the GOM with the oil spill. If the latter is true, which I believe would be the case, then the normal amount of water vapor transfer to the atmos would be significantly decreased. Thus in turn, the magnitude of available latent heat energy would also be below normal. If that's the case, would that not lead to no significant poleward displacement of the nrn jet streams?

Any way you cut it, his theory just doesn't make sense. Of course, it doesn't have to since AW doesn't have to explain anything as usual. I'm just having fun at his expense. Afterall, he is the one that put this nonsense out there for all of us to see.

Unbelievable...I couldn't help not to chuckle when I saw this. Talk about coming up with total junk science. Gotta at least give him some credit for originality and creativity. :whistle:

The sad thing is that there are probably some good mets working behind the scenes at AccuWx. It's a shame that one has to tarnish the image of the whole company and everyone else who works there.

Unbelievable...I couldn't help not to chuckle when I saw this. Talk about coming up with total junk science. Gotta at least give him some credit for originality and creativity. :whistle:

The sad thing is that there are probably some good mets working behind the scenes at AccuWx. It's a shame that one has to tarnish the image of the whole company and everyone else who works there.

It's not just one mouthpiece. It was JB before and it will continue to be someone else in the future as we can see. All in all...it's Meyers who is to blame for creating a company with such a non-science based and profit grabbing culture.

Lol. Not really, just basic met dyno.

The other thing I "thought" about was the water vapor transfer. If HM believes the heat of the ocean is increased by all this debris, then it's either from insolation absorption or from the ocean not being able to vent...ie: not being able to adequately evaporate and cool at the surface. Similar to what was observed in the GOM with the oil spill. If the latter is true, which I believe would be the case, then the normal amount of water vapor transfer to the atmos would be significantly decreased. Thus in turn, the magnitude of available latent heat energy would also be below normal. If that's the case, would that not lead to no significant poleward displacement of the nrn jet streams?

Any way you cut it, his theory just doesn't make sense. Of course, it doesn't have to since AW doesn't have to explain anything as usual. I'm just having fun at his expense. Afterall, he is the one that put this nonsense out there for all of us to see.

I posted a link on another thread from a study that indicating a direct relationship between ocean debris and SSTs in the effected areas. This was pre-tsunami and dealing with the areas of trash that were already loose in the oceans.

It stands to reason if there are miles and miles of trash piled up in some areas, those areas would potentially heat better than others. Does it make any difference in terms of weather who knows.

I posted a link on another thread from a study that indicating a direct relationship between ocean debris and SSTs in the effected areas. This was pre-tsunami and dealing with the areas of trash that were already loose in the oceans.

It stands to reason if there are miles and miles of trash piled up in some areas, those areas would potentially heat better than others. Does it make any difference in terms of weather who knows.

I'm not doubting the debris can cause the ocean to warm as I already stated. I have a problem with the relationship given to suggest a large scale dynamical effect on the atmos occurred without any data. Especially when the likely atmos reaction, according to established physical theories, would have no or the opposite effect.

Henry's hypothesis is the cart pushing the horse. If you turn it around you get something that might make sense: that the atmospheric/oceanic circulations that pushed the tsunami debris where they did could also be responsible in part for our warmer winter. Next step of course is to show supporting data.

Archived