BlondeLonghorn
    Newest Member
    BlondeLonghorn
NNE Spring 2012

ctsnowstorm628

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There wasn't much of a chance of snow but I bet the higher summits are pretty iced up today. Mansfield spent all night at 30-32F with an inch of rain.

SLK in the Adirondacks reported Freezing Rain most of last night.

It was too warm aloft for any snow but there was a cold layer up there between 2-4K feet.

There wasn't much of a chance of snow but I bet the higher summits are pretty iced up today. Mansfield spent all night at 30-32F with an inch of rain.

SLK in the Adirondacks reported Freezing Rain most of last night.

It was too warm aloft for any snow but there was a cold layer up there between 2-4K feet.

webcam from whiteface showed 3-5 inches of snow before the changeover to zr.

1.80" Sunday AM and this morning we had another 1.15", not to shabby!!

Wow 1.80" Sunday AM. I am like 35 miles SE of you and I got .22". Anyhow 2"rain last night and more rain right now so Im happy. Winds really blew last night up here, gusts to 37mph on my station. Temp during the rain fell to 34.9F. I have not really paid much attention to temp today we have been inching through the 40's. Just looked to see lots of 50's low 60's around so Im in the usual Plymouth NH low level cold air zone.

By the way picture below is from 1 year ago today. I looked back on my daily webcam capture and the trees last year did not achieve the same amount of leaf out as today until May 12, 2011 so we are running 3 weeks earlier than last year.

post-268-0-88150600-1335211351.jpg

That was today?! I had no idea. Wow.

I found it just now on their FB page... holy crap. Should post that in the main thread.

Yeah crazy stuff. Wicked surprised there wasn't anything like that at Stowe at 3.5k. I'm thinking about how that could have happened...like with WAA coming in from the NE with this system, you'd expect Mansfield to have a better shot at starting off as snow, but apparently not. Maybe Ryan, Scooter, or Dendrite can comment on this.

Yeah crazy stuff. Wicked surprised there wasn't anything like that at Stowe at 3.5k. I'm thinking about how that could have happened...like with WAA coming in from the NE with this system, you'd expect Mansfield to have a better shot at starting off as snow, but apparently not. Maybe Ryan, Scooter, or Dendrite can comment on this.

Yeah not even remotely close. Looked like around a quarter inch of ZR on the pines up in the 3,000-3,500ft range but it was a fairly narrow area that had ice that I could see. Also with winds gusting to 80mph all the ice was found on one side of the trees and not the other, lol. Absolutely no indication of anything frozen or freezing below 3,000ft on Mansfield.

Stuck this in the drought thread and will post here as well, Some hefty totals

NOUS41 KGYX 232310

PNSGYX

MEZ007>009-012>014-018>028-NHZ001>010-013-014-180235--241110-

PUBLIC INFORMATION STATEMENT

SPOTTER REPORTS

NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE GRAY ME

710 PM EDT MON APR 23 2012

THE FOLLOWING ARE UNOFFICIAL OBSERVATIONS TAKEN DURING THE PAST 24

HOURS FOR THE STORM THAT HAS BEEN AFFECTING OUR REGION. APPRECIATION

IS EXTENDED TO HIGHWAY DEPARTMENTS...COOPERATIVE OBSERVERS...SKYWARN

SPOTTERS AND MEDIA FOR THESE REPORTS. THIS SUMMARY IS ALSO AVAILABLE

ON OUR HOME PAGE AT WEATHER.GOV/GRAY

********************STORM TOTAL RAINFALL********************

LOCATION STORM TOTAL TIME/DATE COMMENTS

RAINFALL OF

/INCHES/ MEASUREMENT

MAINE

...ANDROSCOGGIN COUNTY...

1 ENE LISBON FALLS 4.30 432 PM 4/23

2 E LEWISTON 3.65 414 PM 4/23

DURHAM 3.51 445 PM 4/23

LIVERMORE FALLS 2.72 709 PM 4/23

...CUMBERLAND COUNTY...

PORTLAND - RIVERTON 4.14 524 PM 4/23

1 ESE WESTBROOK 4.02 644 PM 4/23

GRAY NWS OFFICE 3.98 206 PM 4/23 SINCE 7 PM 4 22

1 ENE SOUTH WINDHAM 2.37 859 AM 4/23

GORHAM 2.15 705 AM 4/23

PORTLAND - N DEERING 2.09 632 AM 4/23

3 WNW PORTLAND 1.18 1252 AM 4/23

...FRANKLIN COUNTY...

2 S WILTON 2.51 538 PM 4/23

1 NNW TEMPLE 2.51 312 PM 4/23

EUSTIS 1.80 652 AM 4/23 TEMP 32F

...KENNEBEC COUNTY...

2 SW WATERVILLE 3.51 136 PM 4/23

...KNOX COUNTY...

1 SSW CAMDEN 2.50 911 AM 4/23

...OXFORD COUNTY...

1 W OTISFIELD 2.32 457 PM 4/23

...YORK COUNTY...

1 NW FERRY BEACH STA 4.10 1121 AM 4/23

2 NE KENNEBUNK 2.49 652 PM 4/23

3 SE SOUTH BERWICK 1.76 503 AM 4/23

Cloudy earlier here, then mostly sunny 10-11A, now m.cloudy with wind gusts in the 30s.

Farmington Coop obs - 4.75" on latest numbers from GYX - seems out of line compared to nearby stations. Looking at 3 days of cocorahs, thus including the Sat-Sun CF (not sure if that 4.75" includes it), I find amounts 2.74"-3.51". Most proximate were Temple, 3.20" and 4 miles WNW of that Coop, and mine, 2.74" and 6.5 miles east of it. That was a nice bright narrow ribbon early yest aft, but it's hard to believe it dumped an extra 1.5-2" between two stations barely 10 miles apart.

If we can get some upslope late week and into next week with below normal temps we could be looking at some decent skiing through the next torch above 3k

Yeah, a refresher would be nice; the snowpack at the Mt. Mansfield Stake is almost back down to the depth it was at before the last big storm. Looking at the SkiVT-L Mt. Mansfield Snow Depth Graph, one can see how that storm and the more seasonable weather have been helpful though. At the start of the month the snowpack was at just 35% of average, but it spiked to 71% of average thanks to the storm. It’s fallen back to 45% of average now, but that’s still substantially ahead of where it was, so there have been gains this April. I’ve added my updated snowpack graph below; the Mt. Mansfield data set certainly has some dramatic spikes:

1112snowpack.jpg

Was on the mountain for a few hours this afternoon/evening... occasional snow showers and squalls were rolling through above 2,500ft while it was mixed rain/snow/pellets below that level. Very distinct visibility change at the elevation that it went to all fat flakes.

IMG_4966_edited-2.jpg

A snow shower working the Sterling Ridge above the golf course.

IMG_4991_edited-2.jpg

Snow showers over the Worcester Range, too... with snowline about 1,500ft above the Stowe village valley floor.

IMG_5002_edited-2.jpg

I was just listening to Roger Hill’s broadcast, and he said to watch out for snow tomorrow night; he’s expecting some accumulation in the higher elevations, with flakes reaching the valleys as well.

BTV mentions 2-5" above 2000ft from upslope late tomorrow night and Friday. I'll be on Mansfield all Friday afternoon to verify that ;)

Warm frontal stratiform precipitation in the form of rain will overspread the region Thursday afternoon and transition to upslope rain/snow showers across the higher terrain Thursday night Post cold frontal passage. Ample low level moisture on northwest flow will likely continue upslope precipitation across the western slopes of the Adirondacks and Green Mountains through much of Friday as well with snow accumulations above 2000 feet in the 2-5 inch range possible by Friday night. Little to no snow is expected at the valley floor. &&

We had some light snow at 37F earlier this morning but now have been seeing a light rain for the last hour at 40F below 1000ft.

Definitely snowing not too high up on the mountain, maybe 2000ft, as the visibility changes to a wall of white around there. Can see it falling in sheets between here and the mountain.

Archived