pl0k00n111
    Newest Member
    pl0k00n111
Leap into the Dark Side - Feb 29/March 1 Obs/Discussion/Totals

HoarfrostHubb

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Looks like Radar is breaking up to the West of me and its needle like snow here now. There's a nice slew of radar way West but my fear is that as it moves East it drys up. Mets, what are your thoughts? Are we done or is there a third installment to this storm late afternoon?

I think you'll tack on another 2-4 inches. The atmosphere is primed and the fact that you are getting snow under a clear radar is a good sign for the next batch. Same for most ares north of the pike.

There is a modest UL vort that will swing through this afternoon but the lift is not all that impressive (certainly less than I expected) ... the UL deals can be hit or miss but fortunately there is continued onshore flow from the surface 2ndary... that may keep today's snowfall a bit more uniform than it would be with a typical plodding ULL.

What a flat out boring storm so far up here. I missed the brunt of part 1 which featured the most consistent heavy rates. It's basically been all light snow with periods of grains and then some moderate to heavy showers. The lulls between the accumulating snows have been 1-2 hours. If we somehow pull off 10" it'll be one of the biggest snoozefest double digit events I can remember. I'll also add that I find the wind annoying. It's just strong enough to be a pain in the rear for measuring but it doesn't add any ferocity to the storm.

Same here. Not that impressed...snow for almost 12 hours and we've probably only gotten about 6 or so inches.

LOL- Dave spelled Hubbardston wrong last night so they kept his last night total in the PNS :lol:

BOYLSTON 7.5 731 AM 3/01 NONE

HUBBARDSTON 7.2 950 AM 3/01 GENERAL PUBLIC

TEMPLETON 7.0 819 AM 3/01 NONE

WORCESTER 6.5 700 AM 3/01 WORCESTER AIRPORT

CLINTON 6.5 706 AM 3/01 HAM RADIO

ASHBURNHAM 6.5 700 AM 3/01 CO-OP

MILLBURY 6.3 814 AM 3/01 GENERAL PUBLIC

LEOMINSTER 6.0 710 AM 3/01 TRAINED SPOTTER

MILFORD 5.6 512 AM 3/01 GENERAL PUBLIC

PHILLIPSTON 5.5 945 AM 3/01 TRAINED SPOTTER

WESTBOROUGH 5.1 802 AM 3/01 NWS EMPLOYEE

SHREWSBURY 5.0 750 AM 3/01 HAM RADIO

SOUTHBRIDGE 5.0 634 AM 3/01 NONE

DUDLEY 4.8 813 PM 2/29 HAM RADIO

NORTH BROOKFIELD 4.5 647 AM 3/01 TRAINED SPOTTER

GRAFTON 4.5 733 AM 3/01 NONE

NORTHBRIDGE 4.0 700 AM 3/01 CO-OP

LEICESTER 4.0 1100 PM 2/29 TRAINED SPOTTER

SPENCER 3.5 708 AM 3/01 HAM RADIO

HUBBARSTON 3.2 724 PM 2/29 HAM RADIO

PAXTON 2.0 459 PM 2/29 HAM RADIO

nah it was pretty good if you took into account that it's resolution wouldn't handle the low-level CAD well. but it handled the mid-levels better than any piece of guidance.

it gave CT a good front end thump which is exactly what happened. it was the only model that really suggested it could get warm enough for rain up into the lower elevations of N CT and up into parts of MA near the pike.

it consistently pushed the mid-level warmth to the pike. the euro and nam didn't catch this idea until very very late in the game. the fact that ice warrior had sleet last night - the euro about 2 days ago wouldn't have got sleet to LL.

remember your ridiculous post to Joe to ride the euro for snow to sleet to snow and 3 to 5"?

Part of this may have been not necessarily all thermal profile related but the dry punch above 600mb that eliminated a lot of ice crystals from the clouds making snow growth a challenge. Particularly challenging was the omega max around 750mb which virtually assured -RA given the thermal profile.

Either way using the gfs and some common sense lead to some great forecasts.

I had 2.5 in Hartford and 4 at BDL and there was 2.7 and 4.4, respectively. Not bad... especially considering the Euro and NAM argued for double or triple that.

What a flat out boring storm so far up here. I missed the brunt of part 1 which featured the most consistent heavy rates. It's basically been all light snow with periods of grains and then some moderate to heavy showers. The lulls between the accumulating snows have been 1-2 hours. If we somehow pull off 10" it'll be one of the biggest snoozefest double digit events I can remember. I'll also add that I find the wind annoying. It's just strong enough to be a pain in the rear for measuring but it doesn't add any ferocity to the storm.

Yeah, not too interesting. Agreed on all points, especially the wind. I may have to extrapolate, interpolate and other -olates to come up with a number. Gonna take the kids out sledding probably after lunch ... maybe that'll lend some excitement.

My biggest storm was 3.9". What else is there to say. Good bye and good riddance. Messenger will still argue that I didn't have bad luck.

Yeah you guys have just been in a terrible rut. You'll make up for it soon.

CT has been OK we had a decent thump last week, decent thump late January (nearly a foot south) and the miraculous october storm that was the most memorable storm of many of our lives back here.

Part of this may have been not necessarily all thermal profile related but the dry punch above 600mb that eliminated a lot of ice crystals from the clouds making snow growth a challenge. Particularly challenging was the omega max around 750mb which virtually assured -RA given the thermal profile.

I had 2.5 in Hartford and 4 at BDL and there was 2.7 and 4.4, respectively. Not bad... especially considering the Euro and NAM argued for double or triple that.

this is where it would be nice to have access to the full euro data set. so that all aspects of it could be evaluated too.

this is where it would be nice to have access to the full euro data set. so that all aspects of it could be evaluated too.

The euro had that drier air in the mid levels. I usually find models are just way too aggressive with developing precip (esp snow) when there is no RH in the mid levels. I mean how often are you going to get .5" QPF in 6hrs from lift in the 850-700mb layer. You just aren't, unless it's mesoscale.

The euro had that drier air in the mid levels. I usually find models are just way too aggressive with developing precip (esp snow) when there is no RH in the mid levels. I mean how often are you going to get .5" QPF in 6hrs from lift in the 850-700mb layer. You just aren't, unless it's mesoscale.

Yeah that's why the NAM was such a joke yesterday

I did as well...just blending all the guidance in. I used the GFS as the what can go wrong card and threw it in. I thought maybe my lower end was too low, but turns out it may be too high...lol. Luckily I was at home so didn't have to really forecast, but I would have went 3-5" figuring we could grab an inch or two in the front end and at least get 2" today. I thought adding all the bits and pieces up would get to that amount easily. Wrong.

Yeah that's why the NAM was such a joke yesterday

15" for BOS..lol. Ok.

I also find the opposite is true with mid level RH. Usually when it's saturated with some omega, models are not bullish enough. I try to look for good mid level RH and lift. That's usually where the weenie bands end up. Worked for Philly in Feb 2010, western mass last Jan 2011, and the October blitz this year.

15" for BOS..lol. Ok.

I also find the opposite is true with mid level RH. Usually when it's saturated with some omega, models are not bullish enough. I try to look for good mid level RH and lift. That's usually where the weenie bands end up. Worked for Philly in Feb 2010, western mass last Jan 2011, and the October blitz this year.

Yeah agreed. Sometimes looking at the model soundings you really get a good feeling about a given setup. This one was just sort of blah. That's why I really wanted the front thump to overperform because I thought that had potential.

The forecast was tough northeast of here but I didn't look too closely at the forecast up in Massachusetts like I did back here.

15" for BOS..lol. Ok.

All three ku's last winter did that

Yeah agreed. Sometimes looking at the model soundings you really get a good feeling about a given setup. This one was just sort of blah. That's why I really wanted the front thump to overperform because I thought that had potential.

The forecast was tough northeast of here but I didn't look too closely at the forecast up in Massachusetts like I did back here.

Yeah nothing was easy, although I think the ORH area was the easier setup because they were cold all along...jsut a question of how much QPF. At least you guys had the good thump in the aftn. I knew that would crap out a bit, but even the GFS argued a few inches today. Even on the euro there were some flags when you looked at the QPF distribution. Of course hindsight is 20/20.

Same here. Not that impressed...snow for almost 12 hours and we've probably only gotten about 6 or so inches.

Yeah, not too interesting. Agreed on all points, especially the wind. I may have to extrapolate, interpolate and other -olates to come up with a number. Gonna take the kids out sledding probably after lunch ... maybe that'll lend some excitement.

6" of depression, What this winter has done to folks, Any snow is good snow boring or not

Archived