• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Monty
    Newest Member
    Monty
2012 March Banter Thread

CooL

Mid/upper 60s at this hour in the city. Absolutely insane.

2am EDT select obs

KNYC 65

KLGA 63

KJAX 61

KORL 64

KMIA 71

KATL 61

KMOB 64

wow.

You left out jfk! Its pretty warm here too considering in the low 50's. I went up to Planting Fields Arboretum today in Oyster Bay and it was solidly in the high 60's. I love that place, if you haven't been go it has to be the most gorgeous place on LI with hundreds of acres of specimen trees. Some of the cherry were already in full bloom!

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If that happens I think we really might be nearing the end of the world. The earliest I've seen most trees in full leaf is mid April. Generally its early May, with some trees leafing mid May.

I didn't say full grown leaves I said leaves out. But I have never seen any tree wait till mid may to pop leaves.

Why would anyone want warm temps in March? It's still winter for crying out loud. Bring on more snow and cold.

looking at the long range GFS and the longer range Euro week 3 and 4 there is some evidence that colder air from canada will be coming into the northeast for brief periods - 2 or 3 day periods - still not out of the question that we can see snowfall - just hope it doesn't happen because the growing season is going to be way ahead of schedule this year - and what happened in October with downed trees and other shrubery and other plants would have a good chance of happening again.......

I didn't say full grown leaves I said leaves out. But I have never seen any tree wait till mid may to pop leaves.

I'm pretty sure it's the locusts I've seen wait until May 10th at least to pop leaves. For most species, at least in my area, even popping leaves before April 10th would be historic.

Anybody that thinks we are still going to see cold and snow in this type pattern is just plain delusional. You have to take the year into account. This season we have seen practically no snow and no extended periods of below normal temperatures. Now as we move into Spring (one week away) there is no reason to think that that magically things are going to flip.

From Mt. Holly AFD this morning

LONGER RANGE...IT IS A BROKEN RECORD, THE NORTH ATLANTIC

OSCILLATION IS OUTLOOKED TO REMAIN POSITIVE IN THE LONG TERM, THE

NAEFS WEEK TWO TEMPERATURE PROGS STRONGLY FAVOR WARMER THAN NORMAL

WEATHER AND THE MADDEN JULIAN OSCILLATION IS ENTERING THE WARMER

PHASES FOR THE EASTERN CONUS. WE SEE NO END TO THE UNSEASONABLY

MILD WEATHER IN THE LONG TERM AND EVEN IN THE ENSUING WEEK. THE

CPC WEEK 2 OUTLOOK HAS US WARMER THAN NORMAL.

Anybody that thinks we are still going to see cold and snow in this type pattern is just plain delusional. You have to take the year into account. This season we have seen practically no snow and no extended periods of below normal temperatures. Now as we move into Spring (one week away) there is no reason to think that that magically things are going to flip.

Already all the long range globals are backing off the NAO change. Euro weeklies bust coming.

I should have a summer's worth of golf in by mid-may, since I played 4 times in December, twice in January, once in Feb and its weekly if not more from here on out!!!

The only thing is that the pattern will be in transition from a La Nina to an El Nino so there will be changes for sure. There's a good chance summer ends up average to somewhat below average and once again the warmth now does not correlate to how summer will end up or even how April and May will end up. For all we know, April could end up colder than this March.

Already all the long range globals are backing off the NAO change. Euro weeklies bust coming.

I should have a summer's worth of golf in by mid-may, since I played 4 times in December, twice in January, once in Feb and its weekly if not more from here on out!!!

All the courses in the area are already open around here. About a month early. Some didn't even close at all.

Birds are singing, flowers and trees are budding, my lawn is starting to grow, baseball is almost here. The sun is warm and Spring is in the air, best time of year by far as nature comes back to life. If you don't like this weather you are just a miserable person.

We will probably see a return to near normal temps in April, but even then we are talking 50's and 60's for highs. I think it's pretty safe to assume we have seen our last sub-freezing day until next winter. I could see the NW burbs getting into the 20's for lows but that's about it.

All the courses in the area are already open around here. About a month early. Some didn't even close at all.

Birds are singing, flowers and trees are budding, my lawn is starting to grow, baseball is almost here. The sun is warm and Spring is in the air, best time of year by far as nature comes back to life. If you don't like this weather you are just a miserable person.

We will probably see a return to near normal temps in April, but even then we are talking 50's and 60's for highs. I think it's pretty safe to assume we have seen our last sub-freezing day until next winter. I could see the NW burbs getting into the 20's for lows but that's about it.

That's a bold statement to make right now. Despite how warm it will be this week and next, it doesn't mean we won't see a day or two of subfreezing temps at the end of March or early April.

einstein's definition of insanity

That's a bold statement to make right now. Despite how warm it will be this week and next, it doesn't mean we won't see a day or two of subfreezing temps at the end of March or early April.

No it's not, not this year. I will never say never but it's highly unlikely given the pattern. One could argue that the sun angle alone would make it difficult for us to have a sub-freezing day. Keep in mind I don't mean that we don't get below freezing for a low. I mean that we don't have any days where we don't get above freezing, and that is probably being conservative. Keep in mind that the normal for this date is around 47 degrees for a high. I will not rule it out though in a year which has so far featured record flooding, an earthquake and a Hurricane. Maybe we can have a snow storm on Memorial Day? Would that make you happy Metfan?

No it's not, not this year. I will never say never but it's highly unlikely given the pattern. One could argue that the sun angle alone would make it difficult for us to have a sub-freezing day. Keep in mind I don't mean that we don't get below freezing for a low. I mean that we don't have any days where we don't get above freezing, and that is probably being conservative. Keep in mind that the normal for this date is around 47 degrees for a high. I will not rule it out though in a year which has so far featured record flooding, an earthquake and a Hurricane. Maybe we can have a snow storm on Memorial Day? Would that make you happy Metfan?

Yes

It should be illegal to work on days like this.. Low 70's in mid march with a off shore wind.. That's hard to accomplish in early May some years, let alone mid march! What a winter.. Remember, it's still winter! 19 years ago 10-40" of snow fell from the deep south into the Northeast.. Superstorm 1993..

A miserable person? What about those of us who have severe allergies like myself? I take Zyrtec and it does the trick for the most part but for some that may not always be the case so they may hate spring. I have had allergies since I was a child and with every ounce of my soul I have hated the spring since the allergies kicked in for me so that makes me a miserable person? Whatever. Zyrtec has helped ease the hatred but I imagine if I spent more time outdoors in the spring then I do, the Zyrtec would not do squat for me and I'd continue to hate spring. Cold and rainy spring works for me.

It should be illegal to work on days like this.. Low 70's in mid march with a off shore wind.. That's hard to accomplish in early May some years, let alone mid march! What a winter.. Remember, it's still winter! 19 years ago 10-40" of snow fell from the deep south into the Northeast.. Superstorm 1993..

Agreed. That's why I'm lounging poolside in ft Lauderdale. Best thing is that I board a plane later and find pretty much the same weather, shave 10 degrees...starting work Monday will be rough. :-(

A miserable person? What about those of us who have severe allergies like myself? I take Zyrtec and it does the trick for the most part but for some that may not always be the case so they may hate spring. I have had allergies since I was a child and with every ounce of my soul I have hated the spring since the allergies kicked in for me so that makes me a miserable person? Whatever. Zyrtec has helped ease the hatred but I imagine if I spent more time outdoors in the spring then I do, the Zyrtec would not do squat for me and I'd continue to hate spring.

All kidding aside, If you have a legit medical reason of course not...

this was mostly aimed at Metfan and a few other delusional snow weenies that still believe it's going to snow this year in a pattern with record highs and that has produced virtually no snow all season.

A miserable person? What about those of us who have severe allergies like myself? I take Zyrtec and it does the trick for the most part but for some that may not always be the case so they may hate spring. I have had allergies since I was a child and with every ounce of my soul I have hated the spring since the allergies kicked in for me so that makes me a miserable person? Whatever. Zyrtec has helped ease the hatred but I imagine if I spent more time outdoors in the spring then I do, the Zyrtec would not do squat for me and I'd continue to hate spring. Cold and rainy spring works for me.

You ever try allergy shots? I get them and they help alot. Also flonase.

Archived