Monty
    Newest Member
    Monty
2012 March Banter Thread

CooL

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

March 13th has seen its share of historic weather...Today was a half of a degree from having the warmest mean temperature for the date...A record high minimum was set today...It was 85 degrees on this date in 1990...The 85 was a record for so early in the season by two weeks...The blizzard of 1888 ended on this date with a temperature of 6 degrees...The super storm of 1993 was still raging on this date...The big blow down in 2010...many significant storms on this date...

it is surreal walking outside at this time at night and it still being in the upper 60's. It feels and smells like a mid-summer evening... and then you look around at the trees and they're still bare and it is just really, really weird!

They won't be bare for too long at this rate, especially after next week.

I don't think we will see any leaves until the first week of April, at the earliest.

Perhaps but with temps in the 60s and 70s for the rest of this week and 70s and 80s for next week with lows in the 50s, you'd be surprised at how quickly things will blossom. This is definitely going to be the earliest growing season on record.

Perhaps but with temps in the 60s and 70s for the rest of this week and 70s and 80s for next week with lows in the 50s, you'd be surprised at how quickly things will blossom. This is definitely going to be the earliest growing season on record.

When did it start in 2010?

That was another early spring bloom.

All trees will be in full leaf out by this time next week except areas right on ocean.

If that happens I think we really might be nearing the end of the world. The earliest I've seen most trees in full leaf is mid April. Generally its early May, with some trees leafing mid May.

We already have leaves coming out in the city.

If that happens I think we really might be nearing the end of the world. The earliest I've seen most trees in full leaf is mid April. Generally its early May, with some trees leafing mid May.

...i agree with isotherm on this..trees out here on ELI don't leaf out till mid-late april..

personally i think trees and the 'leafing out' process is more related to the "length of day"..

the increase in daylight is more pertinent than temperature..

...i agree with isotherm on this..trees out here on ELI don't leaf out till mid-late april..

personally i think trees and the 'leafing out' process is more related to the "length of day"..

i agree, but temp and sunlight also has something to do with it.

As you can see from the other posts, that the leaving process has already begun in NYC and NJ, at the same latitude as you, with the same change in daylight, this post is 100% false. IF this post were true, the leafing out process would be exactly the same day every year.

Archived