Total Members
    Most Online
    Monty
    Newest Member
    Monty
2012 March Banter Thread

CooL

i wouldn't eat any life form within 200 miles of this area

Even locally grown beef/poultry/vegetables? I'd rather eat that than for example oranges from Brazil that have fungicide in the orange juice. Local food FTW.

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

are you serious?

isnt hempstead harbor the filthhiest harbor on the island?

It hasn't been as clean as it is now in almost 50 years. Tests have shown water quality to exceed those that are required to allow shellfishing.

It hasn't been as clean as it is now in almost 50 years. Tests have shown water quality to exceed those that are required to allow shellfishing.

I still won't eat anything that comes out of the western half of the sound. The eastern half is fine. But if you eat anything from the western half you will have a green radioactive glow to your body.

are you serious?

isnt hempstead harbor the filthhiest harbor on the island?

The harbor itself is not open for clamming.

It's the mouth of the harbor that opens up and the water depths drop to 40' and more.

And even the harbor itself is much cleaner then 20 years ago.

i wouldn't eat any life form within 200 miles of this area

Lol! Then don't order seafood from a restaurant or from a fish market.

Tuna, porgies, swordfish, lobster, striped bass, flounder, fluke, sea bass and almost every other fish you eat come from our area.

There really isn't much that doesn't except for the foreign fish like Chilean sea bass which has some of the highest mercury levels of all fish.

People are worried about eating food from a region that has strict safety regulations and yet they'll be more than happy to gobble up food shipped in from the third world lol.

It's hilarious. The condition of fish from 3rd world nations is disgusting.

When looking for fish ALWAYS get fish that is locally caught. Anything else is old and much unhealthier.

It's hilarious. The condition of fish from 3rd world nations is disgusting.

When looking for fish ALWAYS get fish that is locally caught. Anything else is old and much unhealthier.

Not only that but land based foods like meat, dairy, fruits and vegetables are far better when they are from our local area. The ignorance about our surrounding environment is kind of depressing.

Not only that but land based foods like meat, dairy, fruits and vegetables are far better when they are from our local area. The ignorance about our surrounding environment is kind of depressing.

People have no clue. The Atlantic ocean is one of the cleanest bodies of water in the WORLD.

The bigger the body, the cleaner. The Pacific is the cleanest.

i grew up in bayonne and watched droves of immigrants catch blue crabs from newark bay... lololol

That I agree is disgusting. But thats a big difference then the ocean waters or the deep areas of the LI sound.

Those enclosed, shallow bays are definitely dirty and all shellfishing is prohibited from there, including recommendations to not eat the crabs.

western sound is constantly bombarded by water polution control dumps that exceed safety standards and go unreported . Even with it being cleaner now, it was abused for decades and that stuff just doesnt "disappear". Its in the ecosystem and will never be cleansed.

As AG3 says, eastern sound closer to the atlantic and out into the atlantic is as good as you can do give what humans have done to this planet.

Lastly, the stipers and bluefish, no matter where you catch them, are poison IMHO. They absord mercury and pcb's faster than you can say BUST. Alex eats about 20 of them a year, and I guarantee you he glows in the dark.

Ag3 - are the eastern parts of the sound pretty clean? with depths of 50-100 feet out there, it must be nicer no- like from Sunken Meadow Park - North and East? Random question, but have you ever seen shark in Long Island Sound?

Yes the eastern part of the sound is much cleaner then the western parts. The sound opens up wider and wider as you head east and the cleaner ocean water is able to enter the more east you go.

In the Orient Point area the visibility is so good, that you can see the bottom and the fish biting your line in water as deep as 15'.

There are a few sharks in the sound, but usually straggler Makos or brown sharks. Nothing sustained like the ocean areas.

Dolphins are very common in the sound though.

Yes the eastern part of the sound is much cleaner then the western parts. The sound opens up wider and wider as you head east and the cleaner ocean water is able to enter the more east you go.

In the Orient Point area the visibility is so good, that you can see the bottom and the fish biting your line in water as deep as 15'.

There are a few sharks in the sound, but usually straggler Makos or brown sharks. Nothing sustained like the ocean areas.

with the water temperatures rising along with salinity changes as a result of global warming, man made or otherwise, expect to see an increase in large and predatory sharks in the sound. Soon great white sightings will be common place like cape cod.

It really is beautiful out there huh.. I think i may take a trip ou to the north fork later in June.. I haven't been out there in quite some time..

Archived