Monty
    Newest Member
    Monty
2012 March Banter Thread

CooL

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Days like tomorrow and Thursday are going to be beautiful and I wish they could stay around at least through the middle of June before the true heat really kicks in. Can't enjoy the warmth because of work but it will feel refreshing the next two days stepping out every now and then and enjoying the very mild weather.

I was there with my family in late July/early August when I was younger. My dad had a conference there for like a week. We did DC, Williamsburg and George Washington's house in Mt. Vernon. It was especially unbearable in the latter two places as none of those sites in those places had A/C. I wanted to kill myself. Walking over the Potomac in DC, I vividly recall wanting to throw myself off whatever bridge I was walking on at the time. Luckily we got a day in for Water Country USA which remains today the best water amusement park I have ever been to.

F that no A/C in extreme summer heat, especially at night when i try to sleep is unbearable. when im inside no matter how hot outside i want....need A/C.

I was there with my family in late July/early August when I was younger. My dad had a conference there for like a week. We did DC, Williamsburg and George Washington's house in Mt. Vernon. It was especially unbearable in the latter two places as none of those sites in those places had A/C. I wanted to kill myself. Walking over the Potomac in DC, I vividly recall wanting to throw myself off whatever bridge I was walking on at the time. Luckily we got a day in for Water Country USA which remains today the best water amusement park I have ever been to.

Oh yea, southside/tidewater (Williamsburg etc) is just brutal those months unless you are literally right along the beach in VA Beach. Even on the Outer Banks on down it is routinely 85+ with dewpoints over 80, as the water temps at that point are in the upper 70s/lower 80s.

F that no A/C in extreme summer heat, especially at night when i try to sleep is unbearable. when im inside no matter how hot outside i want....need A/C.

This will be my third summer in NYC with no A/C, we'll see if I can deal. If I can live through Summer 2010 I can live through anything.

The sites at Williamsburg and George Washington's house are historical sites from hundreds of years ago so yup no A/C when you visit those places. We did stay in a hotel that did have A/C so I could at least sleep each night comfortably. The heat really was way worse than anything I have ever experienced here in NYC or even in Vegas during late spring as well as an August weekend. I was in Vegas for 3 days in mid-May and a weekend in August on two separate occasions and the DC trip I took with my family was still more unbearable than the 100+ Vegas desert heat I've experienced.

Yeah but 90-95 in CT is like 111 in the city and like 120 if you are one of the unlucky subway riders.

You're right about that. Actually I don't really care about the weather during the week when I'm inside working as long as the weekend is nice. Last summer it seemed all the good hot days were during the week and the weekends were meh.

You're right about that. Actually I don't really care about the weather during the week when I'm inside working as long as the weekend is nice. Last summer it seemed all the good hot days were during the week and the weekends were meh.

Especially in August. I feel like it rained every freaking weekend that month.

The sites at Williamsburg and George Washington's house are historical sites from hundreds of years ago so yup no A/C when you visit those places. We did stay in a hotel that did have A/C so I could at least sleep each night comfortably. The heat really was way worse than anything I have ever experienced here in NYC or even in Vegas during late spring as well as an August weekend. I was in Vegas for 3 days in mid-May and a weekend in August on two separate occasions and the DC trip I took with my family was still more unbearable than the 100+ Vegas desert heat I've experienced.

,ive experienced the southwesr heat and it is noticably more comfortable than the heat we get up here. when it gets hot in the northeast/midatlantic the humidity and high dewpoints are with it and it just is nasty

Anything past +4 is extremely hard in NYC for June, July and August. Even during last years torch of a summer NYC was only:

+1.1 for June

+3.7 for July

+ .1 for August

LGA was similar:

+1.2 for June

+3.3 for July

- .3 for August

But the true measurement, IMO, is the number of 90+ degree days and in 2010 and 2011, the number was much higher then average.

last summer torched? Do you mean 2010? There were 20 90+ days (vs like 39 in 2010) from June-Aug and that all really occured in a 3 weeks span

last summer torched? Do you mean 2010? There were 20 90+ days (vs like 39 in 2010) from June-Aug and that all really occured in a 3 weeks span

Last summer had around 20-25 days above 90+. NYC averages 16 a year. So yes, last summer torched. Not to mention the record heat of 105+.

August was not a torch but July was.

Agree, last summer was not a torch. NYC had 20 90F days, I recorded 18 90F days IMBY, with these temp departures:

June: -0.2

July: +1.4

August: -1.3

Versus 2010, 38 90F days IMBY with these temp departures:

June: +2.6

July: +2.4

August: +0.3

Unlike winter months, it's very difficult to get monthly temp departures any higher than +3 in the summer. It's even more difficult to get big positive temp departures down south, where average highs are already in the low 90s.

,ive experienced the southwesr heat and it is noticably more comfortable than the heat we get up here. when it gets hot in the northeast/midatlantic the humidity and high dewpoints are with it and it just is nasty

I'll call BS on that, at least from my experience. Went to Phoenix one June, it was 110-114F with low humidity - felt like I was walking into an oven, difficult to breathe, absolutely oppressive, and much worse than anything I've experienced in NJ. Even at night when we cooled down to a refreshing 97F at midnight, it was still hot as hell, far from comfortable. I maintain that any temperature over your body temp, about 97-98F+, doesn't make a difference if the humidity is low, it's still unbearable.

I hope it's 95 every day too. I would like to see a lot of severe weather events too. That would make things more exciting. It's not that I find the heat particularly thrilling, but I am more comfortable in it.. especially during night-time.. I would like it to be at least 70-75 for an overnight low.

Same here, my ideal summer would be 90-95 by day, 70-75 by night. I love those nights where we're sitting at 80F around midnight, great for swimming. Unfortunately, in my area, we radiate too well to have many lows 70F+ (usually lucky to get 2-4 70+ lows per summer).

My preferrence for T-storms is night time convection, much more fun to watch.

Re: summer, I invite all of you to spend a summer in Washington, DC. I love the heat, and in NYC it rarely bothers me, but DC summers can push you to the edge. I think at one point last summer they were like at 91/81.

I never really noticed a difference between NYC & DC, I used to live right outside of DC.

Same here, my ideal summer would be 90-95 by day, 70-75 by night. I love those nights where we're sitting at 80F around midnight, great for swimming. Unfortunately, in my area, we radiate too well to have many lows 70F+ (usually lucky to get 2-4 70+ lows per summer).

My preferrence for T-storms is night time convection, much more fun to watch.

This.

But sleeping with no AC is hell, I went through 2010 & 2011 with no AC so I know how it feels to have to sleep through low 90's.

Pretty major difference, 38 90F days on avg in DCA vs 18 in NYC.

I know but in a way that's like saying 90 is noticeably hotter than 89. There is a difference between NYC & DCA but it's pretty negligible (to me).

I find it crazy how Baltimore manages to average 91F in July though.

I'll call BS on that, at least from my experience. Went to Phoenix one June, it was 110-114F with low humidity - felt like I was walking into an oven, difficult to breathe, absolutely oppressive, and much worse than anything I've experienced in NJ. Even at night when we cooled down to a refreshing 97F at midnight, it was still hot as hell, far from comfortable. I maintain that any temperature over your body temp, about 97-98F+, doesn't make a difference if the humidity is low, it's still unbearable.

i dunno i didnt find it that bad and it was 104 that day i mean it was hot and comfortable probably wasnt the best term. what i meant was besides the hear the humidity here during our heat is absolutely disgusting as far as how dense the air feels. your right though over 100 F doesnt matter its still hot and uncomfortable

I know but in a way that's like saying 90 is noticeably hotter than 89. There is a difference between NYC & DCA but it's pretty negligible (to me).

I find it crazy how Baltimore manages to average 91F in July though.

You want to see inferno, look at KDMH (Maryland Science Center), which is right in the middle of downtown B'more. OBVIOUSLY the data here is affected by that, but they were crazy hot last summer, especially at night. On July 22 they had a day where it was 108 with a low of 88. The monthly average was 96/78.

you should man nothing like being in a cool area at night while its 80F at night. god bless you for sleeping in that kind of heat with no air conditioning that must be uncomfortable but then again your probably used to it by now lol

I got so used to it in 2010 that last year wasn't so bad.

I've experienced Sacramento once when it was 105-106F, I agree it was extremely hot but I'd argue last summer's heat in NYC when we were pushing over 100 was worse. The humidity made those days in July absolutely unbearable. It was a disgusting, stagnant sauna all through Manhattan. I've also been in L.A. when it was around 100 and it wasn't terrible for me.

I got so used to it in 2010 that last year wasn't so bad.

You probably spend more money on drinks in one hour on a Friday night than it costs to buy a decent room air conditioner. There has to be more to this story dude.

Archived