• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Monty
    Newest Member
    Monty
2012 March Banter Thread

CooL

I agree with Ray. It's already a commercial area, which assumes that air conditioning and heating have to be used there. These are mostly car garages we're talking about, right? Many of them use lots of machinery, which pump out lots of BTUs every day. It's not like we're talking about a state park being turned into an urban jungle. In a way, the residences may actually REDUCE the UHI there.

Big difference between a few dozen car garages and a new mini-city with 5,000+ residents and dozens of new businesses. A new city would be a 24 hour energy creating beast with thousands of new cars, mega watts of extra electricity and thousands of tons more cement and steel.

I am a big propenent of this project though as it would create thousands of jobs and a beautiful new mini-city in a disgusting area of Flushing.

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Big difference between a few dozen car garages and a new mini-city with 5,000+ residents and dozens of new businesses.

I am a big propenent of this project though as it would create thousands of jobs and a beautiful new mini-city in a disgusting area of Flushing.

Point is, it's already an industrial area. The net UHI effect is not going to change significantly based on this. If they leveled Central Park and built huge apartment complexes there, for example, that would be different.

Point is, it's already an industrial area. The net UHI effect is not going to change significantly based on this. If they leveled Central Park and built huge apartment complexes there, for example, that would be different.

Yes. Agreed. But this is just one example.

Thousands of acres of Marsh land and completely undeveloped areas of College Point, have been built into shopping malls and residential areas, in the past 15 years.

Yes. Agreed. But this is just one example.

Thousands of acres of Marsh land and completely undeveloped areas of College Point, have been built into shopping malls and residential areas, in the past 15 years.

Another thing to keep in mind, since we're talking about microclimates, UHI, and radiative nights is this: The UHI is not necessarily stagnant. In other words, if you can get a wind to blow off a more urban area, this could have an effect to "warm up" the areas downstream of this wind.

That area has been fought in court for years by the junk yards and the developers. The junk yards have lost and eminant domain has been placed on them.

The development has now begun. First is the plumbing, which has already started.

In the next 10 years, that area will look drastically different and will be a 5,000+ resident mini-city. But Ray says that wont create any Urban heat effect and wont affect LGA which is yards away.

We will go from this:

Willetspt.jpg

To this:

WilletsPhases.jpg

Is that first pic Haiti or Queens?? ha ha ha kidding. Wow should look nice!

Another thing to keep in mind, since we're talking about microclimates, UHI, and radiative nights is this: The UHI is not necessarily stagnant. In other words, if you can get a wind to blow off a more urban area, this could have an effect to "warm up" the areas downstream of this wind.

Thats exactly the point I am trying to make with LGA. When winds are blowing off major urban areas like Manhattan, it affects LGA as well.

As UHI increases in NYC, it does the same to areas like LGA, when winds are blowing off NYC.

Is that first pic Haiti or Queens?? ha ha ha kidding. Wow should look nice!

Looks like a 3rd world nation in that area. Completely disgusting.

I feel bad for the business owners who are losing their livelihood because of eminant domain, but the overall affects on the economy to that area of Flushing will be Incredible.

Looks like a 3rd world nation in that area. Completely disgusting.

I feel bad for the business owners who are losing their livelihood because of eminant domain, but the overall affects on the economy to that area of Flushing will be Incredible.

It's funny that when I think of car repair shops, I automatically think of bad areas. Don't rich people need their cars fixed?

It's funny that when I think of car repair shops, I automatically think of bad areas. Don't rich people need their cars fixed?

Land values and rent are high where rich people live...repair shops need a decent amount of space so it makes sense to go to lower priced areas.

And rich people have their own mechanics on call...

Land values and rent are high where rich people live...repair shops need a decent amount of space so it makes sense to go to lower priced areas.

And rich people have their own mechanics on call...

There are many upper middle class and rich areas that are within 1-2 miles of these junk yards in Queens. Malba is one one of them. One of the richest parts of NYC. North Flushing and Whitestone are within 1-2 miles as well.

Malba:

jls13.jpg

13339974.jpg

There are many upper middle class and rich areas that are within 1-2 miles of these junk yards in Queens. Malba is one one of them. One of the richest parts of NYC. North Flushing and Whitestone are within 1-2 miles as well.

Malba:

jls13.jpg

13339974.jpg

Damn, crazy that is in NYC.

I have seen at least 10 times over the past 10 years, where Bayside/Whitestone has 3"+ of snow on all streets and then you drive 2 miles west to populated areas like Corona, LGA, Jackson Heights and there is zero snow.

The winter of 2008-2009 was a classic example. Occured several times alone in that winter.

An extreme version of that was in March 2001. 5 inches of pasty snow on everything even in urbanized areas in western Queens but in Manhattan they could barely get a spotty inch to accumulate in spots. It was a stark contrast that day when I rode the 7 train into Manhattan and back.

Malba:

jls13.jpg

13339974.jpg

I know there are nice places in Queens dude, my family is from queens. my grandfather has a house in hollis hills and i went to law school at st johns, which is next to jamaica estates...

I know there are nice places in Queens dude, my family is from queens. my grandfather has a house in hollis hills and i went to law school at st johns, which is next to jamaica estates...

Just saying within 2 miles of those junk yards.

i dont like that northern queens look though. Its like everyone in that area wants that mediteranean look, but i think it looks cheap and tacky. Alot of houses have been remodeled in that same style.

Depends on the area. Douglaston Manor, Queens is landmarked and the mansions there are all old style colonials. Parts of North Flushing have the old look mansions as well.

Malba, I agree, is the new style tacky look.

Douglaston:

articleLarge.jpg

i dont like that northern queens look though. Its like everyone in that area wants that mediteranean look, but i think it looks cheap and tacky. Alot of houses have been remodeled in that same style.

There is a crapload of Greeks and Italians in NE Queens. No surprise that this is happening. Most look pretty damned good to me. I also love classic American styles as well as Tudors. The neighborhoods around here have a great mix and most of the time they look good together.

Depends on the area. Douglaston Manor, Queens is landmarked and the mansions there are all old style colonials. Parts of North Flushing have the old look mansions as well.

They go all out in Malba. Many Medi styled homes look very nice around here dude. Stucco for example can be used to make homes look very tasteful. It doesn't have to be over the top to get the style and still look great.

They go all out in Malba. Many Medi styled homes look very nice around here dude. Stucco for example can be used to make homes look very tasteful. It doesn't have to be over the top to get the style and still look great.

I like the old colonial style houses, personally. Like these in Douglaston:

articleLarge.jpg

f9.jpg

Douglaston is beautiful. Great little italian restaurant i frequent called Il Toscano, right off Douglaston Pkwy by the train station.

Douglaston is beautiful. Great little italian restaurant i frequent called Il Toscano, right off Douglaston Pkwy by the train station.

Do you remember the mini car race track on northern blvd around there? I loved going there when I was younger. It's gone now but it was good times.

Do you remember the mini car race track on northern blvd around there? I loved going there when I was younger. It's gone now but it was good times.

Sneaking behind those waterfront mansions when I was younger to fish in PRIME striped bass early season (March-April) areas was classic.

Archived