• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Monty
    Newest Member
    Monty
2012 March Banter Thread

CooL

I wouldn't say it's unprecedented but it's very rare. High Risks are rare to begin with. I believe there was a high risk on March 12 2006 but don't hold me to it. I know it was somewhere around that time in 2006.

High Risk events are a special breed...prayers to everybody involved or in the risk area. Just glancing at the forecast guidance it looks like there could be several discrete supercells within an area of strong instability with scary-supportive shear...it could get pretty ugly. I think SPC has it pinned down pretty well..but the high risk could extend a little south of where they have it if you ask me. I guess the moderate risk 15/45/45 probabilities with hatching will cover it.

yeah, it's gonna get bad. new PDS watch up.

ww0057_radar.gif

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Those sleetstorms were pretty cool actually, never had a 6"+ all sleet storm before.

I had 19 hours of sleet with temps in the lower to mid 20's in the Valentines Day storm. I received 4 inches of sleet after a little snow at the start of the event. Temps started off in the teens with the storm. 2 days before this event, the weathermen on t.v were forecasting a blizzard for the area.

021418.png

I know all of us as weather enthusiasts love tracking severe weather events but like a few of you said death toll has to be of concern with an outbreak like this. Just gotta hope and pray that another joplin or tuscaloosa disaster doesnt occur again. Gonna be a scary day for those in that high risk area

Wasn't the Feb 14, 2007 storm supposed to change over to heavy rain at one point? It was interesting to observe a plain sleet storm, but it was a nighmare to shovel.

The track of the storm wasn't good for the area. I think the low level cold was really impressive. It never got out of the 20's. It was a pain in the ass to shovel. It took me 2-3 hours to shovel around my ass. The good thing is that it stayed on the ground for a while.

Wasn't the Feb 14, 2007 storm supposed to change over to heavy rain at one point? It was interesting to observe a plain sleet storm, but it was a nighmare to shovel.

The south shore had heavy freezing rain for a time. I was at PSU at the time (where we had about a foot of cementlike glop), but in Long Beach there was a heavy glazing from what I was told.

that storm was horrible...the primary tracked into the tennessee valley. the low level cold was incredible but the mid level warmth couldn't be stopped.

it was 20 F with heavy sleet .. I hope to g-d I never see anything like that again.

Are there any soundings from that storm? That must've been interesting to see, mid level warmth while sleeting with temperatures in the 10s.

that storm was horrible...the primary tracked into the tennessee valley. the low level cold was incredible but the mid level warmth couldn't be stopped.

it was 20 F with heavy sleet .. I hope to g-d I never see anything like that again.

We had ice storm warnings for the storm. I think the forecasts had higher low level temperatures than what we saw so they forecast more freezing rain than sleet. Thank god it was sleet instead of freezing rain or it could have been a disastrous storm.

The St Patricks day storm that winter was also a sleet storm for the area. It also took a bad track for the area. I think the pattern changed at the end of January that winter.

031706.png

whenever i see heights pointed straight up the coast like that into canada, i look away. There are exceptions but usually with a setup like that with no blocking, we get screwed.

It was 13-17F in State College with the same heavy sleet. When the snow started it was 10-12F. There were campus wide snowball fights among different dorm groups (East vs. Pollock I remember) among hundreds of students. It definitely made some fun out of my huge disappointment at the sleet line making it about 100 miles north of where it was supposed to a day or 2 earlier. We were supposed to get up to 20"+ of snow like much of southern/central NY had. Sleet made it all the way to Albany.

whenever i see heights pointed straight up the coast like that into canada, i look away. There are exceptions but usually with a setup like that with no blocking, we get screwed.

Storms that take this track are rain for the area. This storm was an exception though.

Yea, I saw some earlier while running this morning. Last gasp?

Nah....we'll get a storm in late march that kills all the budding trees and plants, melts in 2 days, just so mother nature can kick us in the teeth one more time this winter.

Archived