• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    BlueSkyGA
    Newest Member
    BlueSkyGA
Highest percentage above normal seasonal snowfall excluding winter of 95-96

codfishsnowman

As it seems the new york metro area has had quite an unbelievable run of luck over the past several years with blockbuster snow events, I am curious to see how totals compared to average for those who take careful measurements in their own back yards each season have stacked up.

I know some areas in Upton's forecast area had to be two to three hundred percent of average whether it was last winter (southern ct for example) or the year before perhaps although i guess that borders on territory more likely in the philly metro area but if anyone down there cares to chime in, please do.

I know what the offical metro sites (central park, jfk, lga,bdr) recorded but I suspect at times measurement issues either over or under with all those "official sites". Where ever I have lived for the past twenty seven winters I have taken detailed measurements for the whole season and I suspect I am not alone.

Any posts would be greatly appreciated.

Well i feel like a weather wall flower :(

I still think someone in southern or southern ct was two to three hundered percent of normal last season...but i could be wrong.

I am fascinated by the run of storms in this area over the past fifteen plus years, I live in a part of sne that is almost always certain to never see a two foot snowfall.

Well i feel like a weather wall flower :(

I still think someone in southern or southern ct was two to three hundered percent of normal last season...but i could be wrong.

I am fascinated by the run of storms in this area over the past fifteen plus years, I live in a part of sne that is almost always certain to never see a two foot snowfall.

Last year was my best year besides 95/96, although I enjoyed last year and 93/94 more than 95/96 anyway.

My average is 30" and last year had a conservative 60 or 61, so about 200 percent of normal last year and that was gotten In a one month period!

Unbelievable run to say the least. I can't really complain about this season's non winter.

My totals in interior Monmouth County (average 29"):

2010-11: 57.5" (about 200% of average)

2009-10: 72" (slightly over 250% of average)!

Total of 129.5" in those two consecutive winters. I recorded 46" in February 2010, and 55" in the 1 month period Dec 26 - Jan 27 2011. The past two winters has featured the most snow I've ever seen. Additionally, the 25" Boxing day blizzard in my backyard was the best event for me since 1996.

The 2000s decade averaged 34.1" IMBY, significantly higher than the previous decades, thus bringing our average up. Snowiest decade since the 60s, which was also about 34".

Unbelievable run to say the least. I can't really complain about this season's non winter.

My totals in interior Monmouth County (average 29"):

2010-11: 57.5" (about 200% of average)

2009-10: 72" (slightly over 250% of average)!

Total of 129.5" in those two consecutive winters. I recorded 46" in February 2010, and 55" in the 1 month period Dec 26 - Jan 27 2011. The past two winters has featured the most snow I've ever seen. Additionally, the 25" Boxing day blizzard in my backyard was the best event for me since 1996.

The 2000s decade averaged 34.1" IMBY, significantly higher than the previous decades, thus bringing our average up. Snowiest decade since the 60s, which was also about 34".

Thanks for the feedback! I would gladly go a couple winters without run of the mill two to six inch snow events for one true monster that leaves a solid two feet on the ground or close to it. The best I have ever seen in the Springfield area is 18-19 inches and to get well over a foot here is a really tough feat no matter what.

Two winters ago I bet some parts of dc/baltimore (suburbs) were at least three hundred percent with the three monster snowfalls down there that winter, maybe four hundred percent?!

Archived