• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    BlueSkyGA
    Newest Member
    BlueSkyGA
2012 Winter Banter Thread #3

yoda

Assuming you live slightly west of me, your average is about 25-26" according to this map. Leesburg apparently gets 23.

md-snow-avg.gif

I am in that circle that the guy in Pikesville circled the other day so i am a bit southwest of you. So i still get more than Leesburg, that is nice to know. Now i do not have to resent Ji anymore.

• Replies 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

lol..i remember that storm. Was 50 degrees at noon...snow fell at night and in the morning when i woke up...i was shocked

It was so warm out here that day, I remember playing pick-up b-ball outdoors that afternoon (Sunday) and into the late evening. We only stopped once it got too dusk. Someone mentioned a forecast of snow that night, and the rest of us thought they were crazy. Incredibly, the snow started only a couple hours after the cloulds moved in, and it snowed HARD. It was right up there w/ the heaviest snow I've ever seen. We ended up with 14 inches, and most of it was gone by that afternoon; it must've been near 50 that day. At least we got one day off school.

As exciting as last night's model runs were, I am hoping that most folks have their expectations set somewhere along the lines of what zwyts has been advocating for awhile now. If we can eek out an area-wide 3 - 5 inch snowfall in this winter, that's a win.

Agreed - Id like to see the models today hold before even getting remotely excited for any snow at all.

Agreed - Id like to see the models today hold before even getting remotely excited for any snow at all.

Yup.

I should have mentioned Wes too. He has been pretty clear for awhile now about how hard it is to get even 4" snowfalls into our region in winters like this.

If we can get this one to that level and get me outside with my kids for snowball fights on Sunday, that would be awesome.

Thanks to the red taggers and learned amatuers for the good discussion related to the model runs last night. That was interesting reading this morning.

I like getting up a few minutes early in the morning and reading through those discussions. We are lucky that Matt stays up and initiates that stuff. It's always a fun read.

CoastalWX is mostly a daytime poster, but I enjoy when he drops into our forums too. Hopeully we see a lot of these guys over the next couple of days.

As exciting as last night's model runs were, I am hoping that most folks have their expectations set somewhere along the lines of what zwyts has been advocating for awhile now. If we can eek out an area-wide 3 - 5 inch snowfall in this winter, that's a win.

Yup. Not seeing any further shifts N today and overnight would be huge confidence wise. Keeping expectations around 2" would be the best way to look at it and not get swayed by thoughts of higher numbers.

Yup.

I should have mentioned Wes too. He has been pretty clear for awhile now about how hard it is to get even 4" snowfalls into our region in winters like this.

If we can get this one to that level and get me outside with my kids for snowball fights on Sunday, that would be awesome.

Forecast high for my area day before is mid 50's like it has been. Any snow fall would be melting from the bottom up. Quite possible to have melt water running underneath the snow.

Archived