BlueSkyGA
    Newest Member
    BlueSkyGA
2012 Winter Banter Thread #3

yoda

• Replies 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

i'd almost sooner look at sref than nam at this range but mainly because i sorta want a mean right now till the models lock in a bit more. would have to see indiv members tho to at least know how the camps line up. given early stream interaction it seems like the sref would want to fall more in the gfs camp.

i'd say you're right..w/o see individual members the mean suggests many of them are going to have more northern stream involvement like the gfs...

i'd almost sooner look at sref than nam at this range but mainly because i sorta want a mean right now till the models lock in a bit more. would have to see indiv members tho to at least know how the camps line up. given early stream interaction it seems like the sref would want to fall more in the gfs camp.

The NAM and SREFs both end at the critical point when the low either gets shunted due east or keeps heading NE. Should be really interesting this time tomorrow. Tonight will still be chaos, I think.

i'd say you're right..w/o see individual members the mean suggests many of them are going to have more northern stream involvement like the gfs...

Mitch might be right on this run but it seems it should try being further NW based on where the waves meet up etc. I wish the Euro was about to come out...

Looking at the 500mb...although the mean seems to phase, at least partially (and looks close to a full phase), there's still a lot of height spread BEHIND the mean trough axis for the northern stream s/w. To me that implies that a number of members have the s/w's not phase. Not as much spread on the southern s/w...I think that one is going to be pretty well modeled going forward since it's already on-shore. The northern s/w is still up in northern Canada/Alaska I believe.

To expand on Ian's and Chris' dialogue, sometimes I think noobs get scared to ask and learn for fear of getting beat up a bit. I probably could have learned things alot faster if I stepped up and asked "stupid questions" more often. And I'm not saying stupid in the literal sense. Like the post last night where someone asked how to read the gfs 850 temp spaghetti map. Once you understand what your looking at it makes a huge difference learning other things.

I would like to have a running thread in the ma sub-forum where people can ask any weather model related question and get a real answer without fearing getting embarassed or made to look stupid for asking. I know the main forum has the met 101 thread but alot of us stay home so to speak because we're more comfortable here. Just a thought but I personally would like to be able to ask specific questions from time to time and I like helping and teaching others too. It's not like I have deep knowledge or anything but I know enough stuff to help new folks and there are some things I really want to understand better (like how to accurately read a sounding).

If enough people are interested, we should start a thread for general model or weather questions and see if it brings value to our subforum. If it doesn't work it can quietly dissappear into the dead threadyard.

I think your thread idea is a good one...and if Ian is alright with it, I wouldn't mind giving it a trial run tonight (i got some free time tonight (long weekend starts tonight) mainly a thread where newcomers and others can come and ask questions about the 0z guidance and available mets/others can address the questions? It's up to the leadership...if not tonight...it's something i wouldn't mind participating in or seeing occur in the future.

I think your thread idea is a good one...and if Ian is alright with it, I wouldn't mind giving it a trial run tonight (i got some free time tonight (long weekend starts tonight) mainly a thread where newcomers and others can come and ask questions about the 0z guidance and available mets/others can address the questions? It's up to the leadership...if not tonight...it's something i wouldn't mind participating in or seeing occur in the future.

Yeah. I had what seemed like a really dumb question about why a model was putting the storm east and OTS. A response to the post cleared this up but still I am not sure if I understood completely. So a thread something along the line of a learner's thread would be nice. I don't want to get in the way of a regular discussion.

I like the fact that the track guidance is so spread out....It is keeping us preoccupied so we can stave off the discussion about how even a perfect track will have precip type issues and may be mostly rain....

haha...it's like the day 5 hurricane track....as long as we're in the cone we aren't concerned with actual details.

I'm feelin an 0z gfs run that comes right in between the 18z gfs and 12z euro.

It's a realistic hunch too. 500 energy is more complicated than just about anything we've seen this year. People can say whatever they want about the gfs being awful or out to lunch. I think it's doing just fine. This puzzle won't be resolved until sometime on saturday. The swings will keep getting smaLler from here on out tho.

Sounds good. Also, I did graduate with a degree in Meteorology from PSU in 2001, but since then became an environmental consultant then a Fed (not NOAA). So, I don't have a red tag on these boards, and I don't feel I should. Meteorology has evolved quite a bit from when I graduated in 2001, and frankly I don't remember a fraction of what I learned in that 4 years, since I haven't been using it professionally. Sometimes, I think too much attention is paid to the red tags, some of which I believe are questionable red tags, and those without red tags are somehow looked down upon by some. Red tags seem to get a bye when they post "banter" in the model threads, while the non-redtags get scrutinized to no end, and I don't think that's fair. I've learned a ton from not only the red tags, but also some die hard hobbyists, who know more about forecasting than I would ever hope to know. If you read through the posts, and you are somewhat bright, you can quickly figure out who has a clue and who doesn't. I'm also the first to admit that I'm a snow weenie, as many of those here are. Even the Red Tags fall into that weenie blinder mode from time to time, and it's a fine line for a met - since we all like active interesting weather. All-in-all, I think creating a thread for those who want to learn and ask questions without the fear of weenie bashing is a great idea! I also think the banter thread should be used by all weenies (you all know who you are) to go ahead and vent frustrations and provide comic relief - we can all try to keep it professional in the storm threads. Myself included, but the banter thread is there for folks to have the side bar conversations, and I think most are using it the way I think a "banter" thread should be used.

May I also recommend a pinned thread for Wes to post his thoughts on storm threats. He's the most skilled forecaster here, IMHO, and I get frustrated searching through the threads for his take on new information. Any chance Wes could have a permanent pinned thread? I think we all could benefit from his vast knowledge and experience.

Thanks

Sounds good. Also, I did graduate with a degree in Meteorology from PSU in 2001, but since then became an environmental consultant then a Fed (not NOAA). So, I don't have a red tag on these boards, and I don't feel I should. Meteorology has evolved quite a bit from when I graduated in 2001, and frankly I don't remember a fraction of what I learned in that 4 years, since I haven't been using it professionally. Sometimes, I think too much attention is paid to the red tags, some of which I believe are questionable red tags, and those without red tags are somehow looked down upon by some. Red tags seem to get a bye when they post "banter" in the model threads, while the non-redtags get scrutinized to no end, and I don't think that's fair. I've learned a ton from not only the red tags, but also some die hard hobbyists, who know more about forecasting than I would ever hope to know. If you read through the posts, and you are somewhat bright, you can quickly figure out who has a clue and who doesn't. I'm also the first to admit that I'm a snow weenie, as many of those here are. Even the Red Tags fall into that weenie blinder mode from time to time, and it's a fine line for a met - since we all like active interesting weather. All-in-all, I think creating a thread for those who want to learn and ask questions without the fear of weenie bashing is a great idea! I also think the banter thread should be used by all weenies (you all know who you are) to go ahead and vent frustrations and provide comic relief - we can all try to keep it professional in the storm threads. Myself included, but the banter thread is there for folks to have the side bar conversations, and I think most are using it the way I think a "banter" thread should be used.

May I also recommend a pinned thread for Wes to post his thoughts on storm threats. He's the most skilled forecaster here, IMHO, and I get frustrated searching through the threads for his take on new information. Any chance Wes could have a permanent pinned thread? I think we all could benefit from his vast knowledge and experience.

Thanks

Chris's idea is super. I think it's a great idea. Not only does it teach it also has potential to help during big events.

One thing I do when I want to find certain people's thoughts - do a forum search on name, then click find content. Do it on "posts only" and you'll get them.

Archived