Total Members
    Most Online
    BlueSkyGA
    Newest Member
    BlueSkyGA
2012 Winter Banter Thread #3

yoda

Oh the days of Eastern lol.

I fear that WxUSAF might be referring to me (maybe not though). I always try to interject only when I really have a strong opinion and even then I try to do it nicely. Unfortunately people misread sometimes.

Thanks for the words.

Been on the boards long enough to know this, because I've seen it, but if you nicely tell someone to please not do something and they throw a fitty, there will be some who will blame you for being the problem.

• Replies 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

kenny is tireless in his attempt to nicely get people to stop being stupid. he's generally unsuccessful. and he was weenie-tagged within a few weeks of his debut on this forum, so he's a good barometer to heed.

and no one is upset about someone new who comes in and posts a few nonsense posts, who quickly realizes he needs to read more and post less. the issue is almost always a long term member with a history of constantly posting nonsense.

fair enough...continue behaving consistent with the lowest common denominator.

Been on the boards long enough to know this, because I've seen it, but if you nicely tell someone to please not do something and they throw a fitty, there will be some who will blame you for being the problem.

Could not have said it better myself. In the past, I've PMed problem posters to give them a friendly nudge. Perhaps it might be time to revert to those techniques. Even then, though the effectiveness was questionable.

Oh the days of Eastern lol.

I fear that WxUSAF might be referring to me (maybe not though). I always try to interject only when I really have a strong opinion and even then I try to do it nicely. Unfortunately people misread sometimes.

Thanks for the words.

Other folks here have known you for longer but I think you should keep doing exactly what your doing and your posts here are appreciated.

I personally like your tactful approach with trying to minimize some of the incessant crap posts. I think that's really the issue at hand with some of the conflict in our subforum. Everybody posts some crap or bad analysis/info on here. I'm as guilty as the next guy. I think the root of the problem is when it's just plain endless from the same poster(s) day after day.

Could not have said it better myself. In the past, I've PMed problem posters to give them a friendly nudge. Perhaps it might be time to revert to those techniques. Even then, though the effectiveness was questionable.

My favorite when I was a staffer on Eastern was if I banned someone for posting bs, being rude, and not stopping when asking nicely, I'd get PM's saying how unfair I was.

Internet forums have taught me that there are, while not a majority, a fair amount of people who are out of their ****ing minds.

Other folks here have known you for longer but I think you should keep doing exactly what your doing and your posts here are appreciated.

I personally like your tactful approach with trying to minimize some of the incessant crap posts. I think that's really the issue at hand with some of the conflict in our subforum. Everybody posts some crap or bad analysis/info on here. I'm as guilty as the next guy. I think the root of the problem is when it's just plain endless from the same poster(s) day after day.

Eh, everyone is guilty of being a weenie at times. But the difference is in how often it happens with certain people and whether or not they at least attempt some scientific backing. Internet forums will come with this kind of conflict naturally...especially when people are not forced to speak face to face. I certainly had my share of really rude responses (to me, not from me) when I PMed people in the past. Can't say it's a great feeling to send a friendly nudge and get a bunch of swears sent your way but as I said it comes with the territory!

I'm sure even the bad posters are generally good people in person but their thoughts just don't translate well through text only mediums.

No, I'm not referring to you. More of a general sense, with a few names in particular that seem to be popping up.

We have 2 of the board founders in our sub-region moderating and I think they do a generally excellent job. I'm not sure why so many people have taken on the mantle of junior self-appointed moderator with the weenie smashing...except these people can't actually delete posts but instead just add more garbage posts to wade through.

Maybe my memory's not clicking, but I don't recall a time in the recent past (last few winters) where there was so much vitriol directed at people for posting e.g., the 120hr GGEM. You'd think people were hemming and hawing over 35F surface temps on a 384hr GFS blizzard.

Eh, everyone is guilty of being a weenie at times. But the difference is in how often it happens with certain people and whether or not they at least attempt some scientific backing. Internet forums will come with this kind of conflict naturally...especially when people are not forced to speak face to face. I certainly had my share of really rude responses (to me, not from me) when I PMed people in the past. Can't say it's a great feeling to send a friendly nudge and get a bunch of swears sent your way but as I said it comes with the territory!

I'm sure even the bad posters are generally good people in person but their thoughts just don't translate well through text only mediums.

Couldn't agree more with this entire post

No, I'm not referring to you. More of a general sense, with a few names in particular that seem to be popping up.

We have 2 of the board founders in our sub-region moderating and I think they do a generally excellent job. I'm not sure why so many people have taken on the mantle of junior self-appointed moderator with the weenie smashing...except these people can't actually delete posts but instead just add more garbage posts to wade through.

Maybe my memory's not clicking, but I don't recall a time in the recent past (last few winters) where there was so much vitriol directed at people for posting e.g., the 120hr GGEM. You'd think people were hemming and hawing over 35F surface temps on a 384hr GFS blizzard.

Thanks for the response.

I will say one thing - and please everyone read this -

FOLKS NEED TO LEARN TO USE THE REPORT BUTTON!!!

I have used it many times in various situations and it generally receives a very quick response from the admins and mods. People like to joke about the system but it works well and I've even received personal responses back from mods. If you see a post that doesn't belong - simply report it. I am guilty of not doing this at times but generally only when I think the person needs a friendly nudge and may not get it if their post is simply deleted.

This is an important point...if someone posts the GGEM, ask yourself, would I actually go up to him/her in person and scold them...of course you wouldn't, I don't think it's too much to ask that an online community consisting of human beings actually treat others as such.

My favorite when I was a staffer on Eastern was if I banned someone for posting bs, being rude, and not stopping when asking nicely, I'd get PM's saying how unfair I was.

Internet forums have taught me that there are, while not a majority, a fair amount of people who are out of their ****ing minds.

To be on this forum you have to be out of you ****ing mind, so that would make sense.

This is an important point...if someone posts the GGEM, ask yourself, would I actually go up to him/her in person and scold them...of course you wouldn't, I don't think it's too much to ask that an online community consisting of human beings actually treat others as such.

One more point and then I am done cluttering the thread -

I think there is also a mentality in some people of the following - higher post count translates to better and more enjoyable poster. Inf act, some of the best posters have under 100 posts in some cases.

Totally agreed 100%, and like a previous poster stated if we met in person i am sure 99% of us would get along great, it is just more difficult on a message board.

Thanks for the response.

I will say one thing - and please everyone read this -

FOLKS NEED TO LEARN TO USE THE REPORT BUTTON!!!

I have used it many times in various situations and it generally receives a very quick response from the admins and mods. People like to joke about the system but it works well and I've even received personal responses back from mods. If you see a post that doesn't belong - simply report it. I am guilty of not doing this at times but generally only when I think the person needs a friendly nudge and may not get it if their post is simply deleted.

The filter was a life saver over the weekend

Did he say it like this though?

"With the PNA already in a positive mode (albeit modestly), the emergence of the powerful Phase 7 MJO fits better with that than when the PNA averages positive while the Phase is over in that fun-kill Phase 4 region. These kind of uber strength western Pacific waves usually send a shock wave down stream that gets the roulette wheel spinning on R-wave spacing; as we know, statistically that usually results in a western ridge/eastern trough scenario. Now, put that on-top of an on-going +PNA, and you should wind up with static positive anomaly in amplitude (N S flow) over N/A.

But you, MidlothianWx, would not understand this because of the geopotential medium and decending latitude of your specific geographic location places you firmly in the grips of deep lower latitude uncertainty so go ahead and catch the latest re-run of The Dukes of Hazard and enjoy your Evan Williams and Skoal tea on ice."

Exactly :lmao:

DT's going all ALEET again:

*** ALERT *** ALERT ***12z EUROPEAN MODEL ENSEMBLE SHOW SIGNIFICANT SNOWFALL OVER ALL OF WESTERN and NORTH VA MD Northern DE .. and IMPLIES Moderate snow into PHILLY and southern and central NJ... IN short the 12z euro ensemble MEAN Low position is close to 12z GFS Ensemble Burt s and e of the 12 Z UKMET

Hey! I appreciate the compliment. I keep it real though. The prozacs the doc gives me are so big I have to eat them with a knife and fork.

But you're the good kind of crazy. Like wintrymix.

Again....and maybe this is because I was on staff for a time.....but there were no "good old days" for this community. It's always been rough.

I betcha in three years, people will say on here "you know, back even during the crap winter in 11/12, people didn't get this nasty."

The filter was a life saver over the weekend

That's a great idea that the staff came up with, along with this banter thread.

DT's going all ALEET again:

*** ALERT *** ALERT ***12z EUROPEAN MODEL ENSEMBLE SHOW SIGNIFICANT SNOWFALL OVER ALL OF WESTERN and NORTH VA MD Northern DE .. and IMPLIES Moderate snow into PHILLY and southern and central NJ... IN short the 12z euro ensemble MEAN Low position is close to 12z GFS Ensemble Burt s and e of the 12 Z UKMET

Anything that supports his forecastnotforecastfirstguessestimationprediction.

Again....and maybe this is because I was on staff for a time.....but there were no "good old days" for this community. It's always been rough.

I betcha in three years, people will say on here "you know, back even during the crap winter in 11/12, people didn't get this nasty."

Fair enough. I've only been back on the East Coast for 2 winters now (this is #3) and those were epic-snow and respectable-snow, so maybe it's just the lack of snow this year that's bringing out the haterz and hurtyhurtz. I didn't pay much attention in the bad winters before 09/10.

I can't believe how off the game we mid-atlantic weenies are. Having to go elsewhere for NAM pbp...

Everyone's gun-shy of the Weenie Smashers. People are posting pbp in the banter thread because they're afraid of getting their peepee schwacked in the model disco thread.

for wvclimo and the other I-81ers from Jason Samenow/CWG:

http://www.washingto...2G5FR_blog.html

Thank you Trix. The 12Z GFS, which I believe has been the warmest of the solutions to date, looked like rain to sleet to snow on Sunday for us. Long way to go on this one, but a track through eastern NC and across the mouth of the Chesapeake would be ideal for us, given the progged strength of the storm on most of the models.

Everyone's gun-shy of the Weenie Smashers. People are posting pbp in the banter thread because they're afraid of getting their peepee schwacked in the model disco thread.

This. It's gotten pretty bad.

That said, I see several great posters making the mistake of talking (and even - gasp - extrapolating) the NAM in the model thread, so I'm sure the thread police will be along shortly to lecture them.

Archived