BlueSkyGA
    Newest Member
    BlueSkyGA
2012 Winter Banter Thread #3

yoda

• Replies 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

imo this is kinda weenie. i know it's a common sentiment but why even discuss precip outside of 72 hours then either?

I was a total green and probably annoying weenie at eastern but I did read the manual and followed the path to become a semi-successful weenie.

People can save themselves alot of troubly by follow this simple analysis roadmap during marginal events:

precip > 850 temps > 2m temps > accum snow

Don't talk about or analyze anything on a model without having the first or previous step on the table. Right now we have no precip. ALL focus should be on precip. Once we have that then we can move to the next step.

The latest gfs is super easy using this roadmap:

lots of precip > too warm > way too warm > not a chance in hell

This. The weenie-smasher brigade has gotten way more annoying than the weenies in the past 7-10 days, IMO. Suddenly, unless a weenie posts some sort of preemptive mea culpa about how terrible model X is (NAM, GFS, GEFS, DGEX, UKMET, GGEM, etc...), the weenie-smashers have to spend 3 threads of banter attacking said weenie with ad nauseum repitition until futility is reached.

I'm all for keeping the signal to noise ratio fairly high in the model discussion threads, but since they are MODEL discussion threads, people should be allowed to post MODELs without fear of retribution.

That's a good name. Weenie Smasher BrigadeTM

The NE subforum is terrible. Tip basically told me I live in the deep south.

Did he say it like this though?

"With the PNA already in a positive mode (albeit modestly), the emergence of the powerful Phase 7 MJO fits better with that than when the PNA averages positive while the Phase is over in that fun-kill Phase 4 region. These kind of uber strength western Pacific waves usually send a shock wave down stream that gets the roulette wheel spinning on R-wave spacing; as we know, statistically that usually results in a western ridge/eastern trough scenario. Now, put that on-top of an on-going +PNA, and you should wind up with static positive anomaly in amplitude (N S flow) over N/A.

But you, MidlothianWx, would not understand this because of the geopotential medium and decending latitude of your specific geographic location places you firmly in the grips of deep lower latitude uncertainty so go ahead and catch the latest re-run of The Dukes of Hazard and enjoy your Evan Williams and Skoal tea on ice."

that's never been the pattern in cases like that.

very true it won't work with everyone...but a little patience with certain people may go a long way...or maybe engaging someone like you would a human being?

or i suggest a weenie-basher-in-charge who is tasked with making other weenies feel stupid whenever they post something against the code of ethics...it'd at least be an improvement over five people bashing someone for the same thing

Yeah, you backed off in the last few days. But plenty of others have risen to the occasion.

Maybe people are just pissy from the lack of winter, but there's to much damn drama on here.

Cool

Good grief!!1!!... :P

Hey! I'm just making sure people notice I listen :P

Did he say it like this though?

"With the PNA already in a positive mode (albeit modestly), the emergence of the powerful Phase 7 MJO fits better with that than when the PNA averages positive while the Phase is over in that fun-kill Phase 4 region. These kind of uber strength western Pacific waves usually send a shock wave down stream that gets the roulette wheel spinning on R-wave spacing; as we know, statistically that usually results in a western ridge/eastern trough scenario. Now, put that on-top of an on-going +PNA, and you should wind up with static positive anomaly in amplitude (N S flow) over N/A.

But you, MidlothianWx, would not understand this because of the geopotential medium and decending latitude of your specific geographic location places you firmly in the grips of deep lower latitude uncertainty so go ahead and catch the latest re-run of The Dukes of Hazard and enjoy your Evan Williams and Skoal tea on ice."

omg :lmao:

one issue is just that there are posters who refuse to look at any negatives.. it's a constant stream of how things can go right bolstered by references to individual members of the gfs. most of these folks are very easy to identify if you read the board more than 3 times a week. it's fine and dandy but a lot of it is totally useless.

There are some posters like that, but I think there are relatively few. Again, IMO, models should be open to discussion in the model thread. Every post shouldn't need to be caveated with "of course this will never happen" or "model X is a sh!t model". Similarly, each post of model X needn't be responded to by the weenie-smashers with "model X is a sh!t model". I think that talk is pretty useless as well because most of the posters, in our subregion at least, are pretty familiar with Mid-Atlantic climo and the general strengths and weaknesses of the commonly referenced models.

kenny is tireless in his attempt to nicely get people to stop being stupid. he's generally unsuccessful. and he was weenie-tagged within a few weeks of his debut on this forum, so he's a good barometer to heed.

and no one is upset about someone new who comes in and posts a few nonsense posts, who quickly realizes he needs to read more and post less. the issue is almost always a long term member with a history of constantly posting nonsense.

Oh the days of Eastern lol.

I fear that WxUSAF might be referring to me (maybe not though). I always try to interject only when I really have a strong opinion and even then I try to do it nicely. Unfortunately people misread sometimes.

Thanks for the words.

I found it hilarious growing up in Raleigh on a lake when the northern transplants would come down and build a house and plop a palm tree in there yard and be astonished that it died during winter

Depends on the palm tree. Chinese windmill palms, wooly jelly palms and some others are cold hardy down to 5 degrees. Two reasons why people don't grow them in Virginia: don't realize there are varieties that will grow, and they look lousy in winter when the fronds die back.

Archived