BlueSkyGA
    Newest Member
    BlueSkyGA
2012 Winter Banter Thread #3

yoda

• Replies 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The weatherman on DC's Channel 4 this morning said something to the effect that winter weather lovers are now curled up in the fetal position and crying.

Warministas RULE! :sun:

oops, shouldn't have said that, one of the GFS 300-hour fantasies might actually come true...

Blizzard coming repeal seatbelt laws

It's funny. I look at the 84 hr NAm which we probably shouldn't be talking about anyway and see a pattern that looks like it would keep the low suppressed to the south. I go in and read the model thread and see someone say how good it looks. The giant vortex over eastern canada says no not that the NAM's depiction of it will be right. I think I'm getting jaded.

And what is this system capable of doing exactly?

Given my baseline for this ****ty winter is that snow/ice fest of 1.5" a few weeks back, I am kinda hoping it can give me enough actual snow to cover the grass for the first time this year. It may be capable of that. Or, you know, more likely flakes in the air that don't accumulate. Or rain.

There was an actual conversation about extrapolating the NAM in the real discussion thread? Wow.

No there was not. There was one person asking a question about a hypothetical look to a 500 map and trying to learn something about forecasting off of a 500 map. Not one time did anyone imply that there was any belief in it being correct.

But, hey, what the heck. It's almost impossible to believe some members of the Mid Atlantic sub thread acting like ***holes. Whowouldathunkit?

It's funny. I look at the 84 hr NAm which we probably shouldn't be talking about anyway and see a pattern that looks like it would keep the low suppressed to the south. I go in and read the model thread and see someone say how good it looks. The giant vortex over eastern canada says no not that the NAM's depiction of it will be right. I think I'm getting jaded.

i still like you. your opinion of the lolNAM at 84 hr is better than any other opinion. :wub:

No there was not. There was one person asking a question about a hypothetical look to a 500 map and trying to learn something about forecasting off of a 500 map. Not one time did anyone imply that there was any belief in it being correct.

But, hey, what the heck. It's almost impossible to believe some members of the Mid Atlantic sub thread acting like ***holes. Whowouldathunkit?

You're getting too riled up lol. Calm yourself! - You are seemingly matching the man in your avatar.

i still like you. your opinion of the lolNAM at 84 hr is better than any other opinion. :wub:

Thanks. But no opinion of the nam at that time range is worth much. Today is another golf day. I do think I'm getting jaded as I'm having a harder time getting interested in the threads but that might just be because this winter has been so bad.

I'll send snow pics from Texas...;)

Thank you.

I have been mostly lurking for years now, and love this board. I have more respect for Wes than for any other forecaster on here. His point about the strength of the vortex in Eastern Canada is well-taken.

That's one of the reasons why I posed my post in the form of a question (and why I explicitly explained as a caveat that I KNOW that we can't take the 84h NAM seriously) - to get model/feature analysis from people like Wes who are professionals.

Thanks. But no opinion of the nam at that time range is worth much. Today is another golf day. I do think I'm getting jaded as I'm having a harder time getting interested in the threads but that might just be because this winter has been so bad.

:hug:

it will be spring (or really spring) soon

It's funny because you were the one who started the discussion...

Speaking of the nam, how would that play out? Isn't that look getting close to the look of two weeks ago? It almost looks like it would send a storm way west at least initially. Somebody give their interpretation. I'd like to learn something here.

Extropolating the nam is really pointless. But it would suggest a further north track.. but the kicker will eventually send it ene..... I don't expect a low to go to far north givent he 50/50 low. I expect it would still go ene because of the set up in the Atlantic. Things of note... unless it takes longer to eject out allowing the 50/50 low to escape and relax the flow out east. That would mess up a lot of things really. But that really stretching things. x.x;

The huge vortex over eastern canada probably won't be moving fast enough to allow the southern stream to cut to the lakes based on the NAM. It is a really strong vortex.

I actually disagree some about the nam. The upper low over eastern canada is huge and would really have to get out of the way to allow the low to track northeast very quickly. Big vortex usually are slower to move but as you say, at 84 hrs trying to extrapolate a model is pretty hard unless your only going to try to predict the next 12 hrs or so and then you have to hope the NAM has a decent forecast.

It's just a hypothetical. Forget that it's the nam. I just wanted to see if I was reading what it showed correctly and if I could predict what it might do under those conditions. I wasn't suggesting it was correct.

Yea both features are strong on the Nam. The southern system and the low up north. You can tell just based on how cold the NAM is compared to the GFS at the same time period out east.

But... why we discussing the 84 hour nam again? :axe:

With this complicated of a setup, spending one second on the NAM at 84hr+ is a giant waste of time.

This winter has been very tough on us all. Everytime it looked as if change was right around the corner it went poof! I feel your pain too. Just know that your words carry plenty of weight with many here(even if it is not what we want to hear or read). I rather you be here to temper things. You've been right about 100% of the time so far this winter IMO

I'm keeping no expectations and hoping for luck. At this pt in the season wasting another week endlessly tracking seems to have little reward. Plus ppl are holding on to every last hope to salvage winter. The sun feels nice today.

Archived