• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    BlueSkyGA
    Newest Member
    BlueSkyGA
Feb 11/12 Storm Disco II

Baroclinic Zone

I'd expect the Euro to look not too different from the Ukie and GGEM...I think part of the reason the GEFS are so amped is they don't really see the southern vortmax well which is a realistic issue and not just convective feedback...however, if the northern stream keeps trending stronger and more dominant, then it can overcome this so we still need to watch closely for larger solutions.

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'd expect the Euro to look not too different from the Ukie and GGEM...I think part of the reason the GEFS are so amped is they don't really see the southern vortmax well which is a realistic issue and not just convective feedback...however, if the northern stream keeps trending stronger and more dominant, then it can overcome this so we still need to watch closely for larger solutions.

Will, what do you make of tonighs nam run, obviously the norlun signature would move around, but do you think its a possiblity to have one especially if there is not a more consolidated low coming up the coast? The precip it spit out down here was kind of ridiculous.

Y'all remember when you could have sworn this was a miss? The new model scores at day 5 are downright horrid outside of the ECMWF (the GFS / CMC are almost as bad as flipping a coin).

Will it looks like our observations were correct.

Y'all remember when you could have sworn this was a miss? The new model scores at day 5 are downright horrid outside of the ECMWF (the GFS / CMC are almost as bad as flipping a coin).

The ECMWF ensembles hit this date for something a long time ago which is impressive....but not to let them get too high on their horse...they also failed miserably for the massive torch they were showing next week which now looks like average temps...maybe a bit above average but nothing like it showed.

This period made sense for a threat like this with the amplitude of the PNA ridge...even if it only ends up an advisory event...its happening because of that ridge. People kind of gave up on it too quick I think.

The ECMWF ensembles hit this date for something a long time ago which is impressive....but not to let them get too high on their horse...they also failed miserably for the massive torch they were showing next week which now looks like average temps...maybe a bit above average but nothing like it showed.

This period made sense for a threat like this with the amplitude of the PNA ridge...even if it only ends up an advisory event...its happening because of that ridge. People kind of gave up on it too quick I think.

I agree and to some extent I can see why with the frustrating winter; however, when things present themselves that are actually happening (the MJO, the AAM switch, the declining sun, the tanking -AO and spiking PNA), you cannot simply write it off.

New ECMWF is looking niiice...so far...

No one cares to see a ball spiked in the end zone for a 1-3" event for most areas.

No one cares to see a ball spiked in the end zone for a 1-3" event for most areas.

You are not the first person today to tell me about what the forum cares about.

So allow me to address that: I don't care that you don't care. I find this type of thing fascinating, regardless of the snowfall amounts.

Euro did continue with the ongoing theme of digging the northern stream deeper...so obviously it needs to be watched still. It was actually weaker with the southern vortmax this run. But it just has trouble wrapping everything up in time for a large event.

Still with that baroclinic zone in place and those height falls, I would remain ont he more optimistic side for one of the few times this winter.

You are not the first person today to tell me about what the forum cares about.

So allow me to address that: I don't care that you don't care. I find this type of thing fascinating, regardless of the snowfall amounts.

Well good for you, but refrain from calling those posters unintelligent.

Well good for you, but refrain from calling those posters unintelligent.

How exactly is it intelligent to say something will or won't happen because of your emotions and what you believe to be a force against snowfall in your backyard?

I am not calling posters unintelligent for liking snow and being frustrated. I am calling it unintelligent to forecast like that because it isn't being objective.

How exactly is it intelligent to say something will or won't happen because of your emotions and what you believe to be a force against snowfall in your backyard?

I am not calling posters unintelligent for liking snow and being frustrated. I am calling it unintelligent to forecast like that because it isn't being objective.

I think both objective forecasting and anecdotal observations need to be incorporated and if you disagree, please refrain from insulting me because THAT is what is unintelligent.

No way...you are wrong...he most certainly did.

Pointing out a flaw in someone's meteorological analysis isn't calling them unintelligent. Albert Einstein was intelligent but it doesn't mean he is good at meteorology.

Hearing people say an event won't happen because the winter sucks is pretty crappy and rudimentary analysis.

I think both objective forecasting and anecdotal observations need to be incorporated and if you disagree, please refrain from insluting me because THAT is what is unintelligent.

Evidently you don't actually want to have a conversation; otherwise, you would quit with the victim nonsense and just straight up talk to me.

Pointing out a flaw in someone's meteorological analysis isn't calling them unintelligent. Albert Einstein was intelligent but it doesn't mean he is good at meteorology.

Hearing people say an event won't happen because the winter sucks is pretty crappy and rudimentary analysis.

Dude, you're speaking out of turn....he just essentially admitted to it.

Dude, you're speaking out of turn....he just essentially admitted to it.

Calling the analysis unintelligent in the context of meteorology is not the same as calling someone unintelligent. I can say you are acting like an idiot...but that wouldn't be the same as calling you an idiot...acting like one and being one are two different things.

At any rate enough with the semantics...the general point we was making was that people gave up on an event too soon whether it happens or not...probably because of emotionally driven thought process rather than scientific ones.

Calling the analysis unintelligent in the context of meteorology is not the same as calling someone unintelligent. I can say you are acting like an idiot...but that wouldn't be the same as calling you an idiot...acting like one and being one are two different things.

At any rate enough with the semantics...the general point we was making was that people gave up on an event too soon whether it happens or not...probably because of emotionally driven thought process rather than scientific ones.

That is fair...I have admitted I do that......but I think it is fair to hedge small in terrible seasons, and vice versa in active ones....I have told you that I knowingly exaggerate that concept.\

But it's not entirely void of validity.

That is fair...I have admitted I do that......but I think it is fair to hedge small in terrible seasons, and vice versa in active ones....I have told you that I knowingly exaggerate that concept.\

But it's not entirely void of validity.

The trouble is: every once in a while a 1938 happens (that hurricane will do what they always do) or a January 2000 (this winter is horrible so it will miss) etc. when anecdotes and persistence fail. There are some meteorologists / forecasters who make rules up about certain setups but the real truth to it is that every event is different. Usually, these rules get derived from a past bad forecast or something that sticks with the forecaster and then that goes on to affect future forecasts. We are all guilty of doing it -- me included --- and it is not smart forecasting.

Simply saying that something will or will not happen based solely on an anecdote will fail at some point.

HM, I appreicate you hearing me out.....no hard feelings.

It's okay. It's been rough for snow lovers. I am a good punching bag. I tend to stay away from the forum when things look bleak and come here when they don't because that's when I like participating on the forum. That makes me good bait.

Archived