BlueSkyGA
    Newest Member
    BlueSkyGA
Feb 11/12 Storm Disco II

Baroclinic Zone

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I do caution about lower resolution models, because they may actually not give enough respect to the srn vortmax. They may be right, but something to keep in mind. However if they look like the op or even better, it may not matter too much.

Just thinking out loud only thing that looks odd to me is the manner in which that low just pops right under the convection. If the Euro and others show it great, if not...I'd question that as possible a blip. GEFS should help in that regard.

No model looks terrible, all models give us something, beats most of this winter. There's still time for things to break one way or the other, that little blip out of mexico is going to be one of the players and it's still in a data poor area. They're trucking across the Mexican state of Durango right now. If feedback is in play here one way or the other it has to do with those little spins.

I think ratios are better than that, soundings are pretty darn cold, I would think its more like 3-6, especially away from the immediate coast

With BL warmth I don't think we are going to see ratios any higher than 10:1 or so...except perhaps up across portions of interior MA (like ORH) where maybe they see 11:1 or 12:1 but that could be a stretch. The snowgrowth zone could also be a little bit higher than it is.

If the models can completely ditch the feedback. it could be a more explosive deepening close enough to SNE for a major snowstorm.

Need to be careful though, feedback could work the other way and we may be seeing the GFS too far NW, who knows.

It's very encouraging that the Euro is very similar to the 0z GFS, but the 0z GFS is west and a little stronger so there's more QPF further west. The alignment, movement etc is otherwise about as good a match as you'll get. GFS just amps up the western low more...will ahve to watch that and hope that becomes a trend.

Harv changed totals a bit lower. 2-5" from Ray to Will to Kev to Steve to Me etc...Bob/Jerry...but he stressed he's expecting the lower end of that. 1-3" over by Phil and Pete.

Todd G didn't change his map at all.

Prudent until further runs, lots of moving pieces. I am shooting for 3-6 and will go home happy. Hope to take some pics of some good drifts Sun afternoon as the snow dries out in my fav spot.

Prudent until further runs, lots of moving pieces. I am shooting for 3-6 and will go home happy. Hope to take some pics of some good drifts Sun afternoon as the snow dries out in my fav spot.

Bos mets have been more cautious than usual.

Good news, the GFS/UK agree very much at 500mb. Forget the NAM, it sucks. Might be useful as we get closer, it's trash right now about guaranteed.

The interesting thing is the UK is further east a bit at the surface, more like the old Euro. If the Euro is more like the UKMET, IE not a tight little spin I think the GFS had some feedback on the QPF blob over the Carolinas. I'm about 95% sure that's the case right now. The GFS is the further NW low, I'm going to go out on a limb and say the Euro doesn't show that either...and is more elongated like the UK and other models.

Also something crucial is how fast does the arctic cold front travel Friday Night. Does it get caught up in the Appalachian Mountains again, and then crawls towards the coast? We saw this happen back in December.

A quicker sharpening/deepening of the trough would also allow for a slower eastward progression of the front as this would allow for the front to be a bit more parallel to the upper level flow.

.50 to. 75 on gefs for SE SNE ...kinda just like 18z and 12z

NYC weenies talkin bout the 2000 "latent heat special" storm and the latent heat noted in the kocin report for the boxing day storm ...and it's trends 36 hrs out.

any latent heat insights here..... also will this low just scoot east like modeled or may it move more NE.

also danbury met says

honk HONK. radar/satellite/WV imagery already looks impressive across the Lower Mississippi Valley. feelin' pretty good about this one

I don't know, but the mean is out on Raleighwx's site

http://raleighwx.ame...emblep12036.gif

http://raleighwx.ame...emblep12048.gif

There is going to be a nice solid swatch of decent totals across parts of eastern MA probably extending into RI. Seems like there could be a nice band that sets up somewhere in that area.

Archived