BlueSkyGA
    Newest Member
    BlueSkyGA
Feb 11/12 Storm Disco II

Baroclinic Zone

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You guys can overlay, it looks similar to the 12z EURO to me which is what the 36h 0z RGEM did until it blew east at 48?

Same general alignment to the Euro, just further west some.

Actually a little better than euro I think. Got to hit the hay for now, but hopefully the euro looks decent when I get up.

there is no question 0Z GFS is an improvement

i think key here was northern stream vm stronger and interacts sooner with southern shortwave... still an elongated L shaped area of low pressure, but more development closer to the coast rather than the tail of the L farther out to sea...

i'm convinced we're not done trending nw

Actually a little better than euro I think. Got to hit the hay for now, but hopefully the euro looks decent when I get up.

Same general idea though, GFS develops a tight little low right over a QPF bomb where the others do not. That's the major difference between it, the 12z Euro,0z NAM/RGEM. This will be an interesting time to check the GEFS.

here's a hypothetical venture... please shoot down with explanations...

combine

the GFS depiction of the southern stream shortwave(s) (with the rationale that it has less feedback issues than NAM)

+

the NAM depiction of the northern stream VM

||

and i think we have a solution closer to the earlier NAM runs

here's a hypothetical venture... please shoot down with explanations...

combine

the GFS depiction of the southern stream shortwave(s) (with the rationale that it has less feedback issues than NAM)

+

the NAM depiction of the northern stream VM

||

and i think we have a solution closer to the earlier NAM runs

Problem is it's usually the GFS that has feedback issues not the NAM. Although a 5h feature is present, I wonder about the GFS QPF bomb that becomes a tight little low that's absent on every other model. Would love to see the Euro pick up that ball and run with it tonight and or/ the UK...that'd be great news.

Same general idea though, GFS develops a tight little low right over a QPF bomb where the others do not. That's the major difference between it, the 12z Euro,0z NAM/RGEM. This will be an interesting time to check the GEFS.

I do caution about lower resolution models, because they may actually not give enough respect to the srn vortmax. They may be right, but something to keep in mind. However if they look like the op or even better, it may not matter too much.

Archived