BlueSkyGA
    Newest Member
    BlueSkyGA
Feb 11/12 Storm Disco II

Baroclinic Zone

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The NAM loves to go nuts on stupid things like spurious lows over the gulf stream, etc. Not that it's spurious, but I find it can look weird due to it's mesoscale nature. I like to look at the 500mb charts as a better gauge as to how the low may look. That's usually a better way to look at it, and is more removed from these stupid lows when a storm is first forming.

I see nothing wrong with what the 00z NAM is showing me tonight. 700mb/850mb levels look good.

Well, I think this takes some of the more intense solutions off the table for now.

Looking more likely that we get a modest event (2-4"/3-5", spot 6") for SE portions of the region. Less NW. Much more than was modeled a few days ago, so we can be thankful for that.

Still, the intense outputs from this afternoon were fun to see, even if they were out to lunch.

In my phone but nam looks airtle bizarre lol

As another met commented today the NAM is attrocious this winter outside of 12-24 hours. If what we saw in terms of shifts here are real, and the NAM is still catching up to the other models and the GFS/Euro nudges the other way it's going to be a tight squeeze.

This surface low is WAY OTS now, heck it's moved probably 500+ miles SSE in 12 HOURS!

So...let's hope it's not the west friggin' outlier now!

Well, I think this takes some of the more intense solutions off the table for now.

Looking more likely that we get a modest event (2-4"/3-5", spot 6") for SE portions of the region. Less NW. Much more than was modeled a few days ago, so we can be thankful for that.

Still, the intense outputs from this afternoon were fun to see, even if they were out to lunch.

I missed out on all the fun model outputs it seems.

Ah well. We will take what we can get. 1",3" it's all good

Probably a good idea to wait for the full 0z suite before declaring that the intense solutions are off the table just fwiw.

Agree with the mets that this looks better in the upper levels, may mean that there is some disorganization getting things going initially like the NAM showed (could be right since there are stream interactions involved and the gulf stream+convection) in this run but I don't think this particular run takes anything off the table at this point.

Upper levels more impressive than ever on the new NAM. But it's schizophrenic at the surface...one low trying to form closer in to the best vorticity and thermal boundary...but yields to the way offshore low after a struggle. I'm still not quite understanding why they want to jump the low way out like that.

LOL, I would think this 500mb depiction would give the 18z surface look...not the other way around.

Archived