BlueSkyGA
    Newest Member
    BlueSkyGA
Feb 11/12 Storm Disco II

Baroclinic Zone

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Even by 12 hours...can see that it's shifted the energy up near MN about 200-300 miles west...much more towards the GFS type solutions. I use the GFS as reference because I'm assuming it roughly represents all the other solutions that were not the NAM.

The timing isn't the same in the south, doesn't match any previous GFS or NAM run so we're likely to see some other solution now one way or the other. The NAM has now appropriately shifted the northern energy further west earlier on, and has come towards consensus/continued to correct in the south.

So this should get a bit more interesting one way or the other.

I agree..... ;)

Even by 12 hours...can see that it's shifted the energy up near MN about 200-300 miles west...much more towards the GFS type solutions. I use the GFS as reference because I'm assuming it roughly represents all the other solutions that were not the NAM.

The timing isn't the same in the south, doesn't match any previous GFS or NAM run so we're likely to see some other solution now one way or the other. The NAM has now appropriately shifted the northern energy further west earlier on, and has come towards consensus/continued to correct in the south.

So this should get a bit more interesting one way or the other.

The NAM might have corrected west with the vorticity but its also focusing in on a different piece of energy that none of the GFS runs have before. So this new 0z data probably will be more interesting once the GFS gets going later.

NAM looks ugly to me through 33ish compared to the old 12z NAM. It's got a lot of moisture blossoming WTF out east of florida and it's losing the surface reflection off the Hatteras area temporarily.

I don't think it's a gonner, but I think the 12z solution it had surely is?

That was the western outlier so it should come east, which is great for us. 00z looks on track to me.

NAM looks ugly to me through 33ish compared to the old 12z NAM. It's got a lot of moisture blossoming WTF out east of florida and it's losing the surface reflection off the Hatteras area temporarily.

I don't think it's a gonner, but I think the 12z solution it had surely is?

I think the 12z NAM solution was probably a pipe dream anyway. It was giving 12" of snow to some areas. I don't think we are going to get things consolidated enough for that type of solution. Probably something like other global guidance. NAM usually has a couple runs where it goes crazy in these complicated setups.

If there is one trend I'm encouraged to see, is that the northern stream continues to get stronger.

That was the western outlier so it should come east, which is great for us. 00z looks on track to me.

Only thing is it's even further east than the 18z GFS, so in this instance those slight differences from earlier runs may have gone against us. At least through h40 or so, it's east on the western flank comapred to even the 18z GFS.

I think the 12z NAM solution was probably a pipe dream anyway. It was giving 12" of snow to some areas. I don't think we are going to get things consolidated enough for that type of solution. Probably something like other global guidance. NAM usually has a couple runs where it goes crazy in these complicated setups.

If there is one trend I'm encouraged to see, is that the northern stream continues to get stronger.

That's true but we're running short on time, and we're seeing a growing focus WTF offshore which is going to present problems possibly or at least helps to delay development.

This reminds me of a storm last year (I think) that had a blob of energy from the southern stream that some on here thought was convective feedback..but it ended up being real..effectively sucking the energy from the low closer to the coast..and sliding most of the precip out to sea. I can't recall the specific date..but it was similar to this.

That's true but we're running short on time, and we're seeing a growing focus WTF offshore which is going to present problems possibly or at least helps to delay development.

The NAM loves to go nuts on stupid things like spurious lows over the gulf stream, etc. Not that it's spurious, but I find it can look weird due to it's mesoscale nature. I like to look at the 500mb charts as a better gauge as to how the low may look. That's usually a better way to look at it, and is more removed from these stupid lows when a storm is first forming.

I agree and i think that will help us in future runs if its real..

Archived