BlueSkyGA
    Newest Member
    BlueSkyGA
Feb 11/12 Storm Disco II

Baroclinic Zone

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

They're giving themselves a pretty wide range, why not just put out one that shows 1-6 everywhere.

I'm really surprised all those stations were even putting snowfall graphics out this early in the game. I would've thought wait till at least after the 00z runs tonight. You still have all day tomorrow to put up accumulation maps. Given the uncertainty, it just seemed a bit premature. Throw the first one up during the morning newscast tomorrow and then you can hit it at noon and again for the evening news.

Instead I have a feeling we'll be seeing changes to these maps (maybe significant) depending on where the models trend over the next 24 hours.

15z SREF has 77% for BOS >1", 65% >2", 32% >4", 14% >6"

ORH is 94%, 82%, 41%, and 9% respectively.

Interesting that ORH has higher probs straight through 4+".... I would've thought BOS would have a better shot at all the snowfall amounts over ORH. Not that I don't think ORH is in a good spot for this one, just based on the set-up unless the SREFS are really warm in the boundary layer.

LOL, keep telling yourself that. It'll help take the sting out of looking at a snowless, tick infested landscape day after putrid warm day.

We don't have any ticks here, they all died from heat exhaustion during that last cold snap you forecast.

Harv just stressed again that he's favoring the low amounts but that the storm is going to really deepen fast...he was hedging way more than normal. Very uncharacteristic.

I'm really surprised all those stations were even putting snowfall graphics out this early in the game. I would've thought wait till at least after the 00z runs tonight. You still have all day tomorrow to put up accumulation maps. Given the uncertainty, it just seemed a bit premature. Throw the first one up during the morning newscast tomorrow and then you can hit it at noon and again for the evening news.

Instead I have a feeling we'll be seeing changes to these maps (maybe significant) depending on where the models trend over the next 24 hours.

Yeah, I agree there could be significant changes and a little too soon on the map. I think one of those maps that show greatest chance of accumulation would have sufficed this early.

Interesting that ORH has higher probs straight through 4+".... I would've thought BOS would have a better shot at all the snowfall amounts over ORH. Not that I don't think ORH is in a good spot for this one, just based on the set-up unless the SREFS are really warm in the boundary layer.

SREFs tend to under estimate the snow chances when the BL is marginal, so that is probably bringing the BOS numbers down a bit. Though if the event ends up weak and less precip, BOS will struggle more so I can see the probs for 1" or 2" being higher for ORH, but I don't really agree with the 4" probs being higher here.

I've looked at that site many times and never even noticed the SREF choice there..lol.

They've always had it, but it used to only do 09z and 21z and it took forever to update so it was kind of useless, but its better now with all 4 runs and updates quicker now.

Ewall still is the fastest...but today their 15z prob map never updated.

IJD?

12hr Prob Snowfall>= 1in 0.0 0.0 0.0 0.0 12.9 33.9 53.1 80.8 81.1 79.5 70.1

12hr Prob Snowfall>= 2in 0.0 0.0 0.0 0.0 0.0 6.4 32.4 60.5 64.9 64.4 43.0

12hr Prob Snowfall>= 4in 0.0 0.0 0.0 0.0 0.0 0.0 2.0 20.2 29.1 26.3 19.0

12hr Prob Snowfall>= 6in 0.0 0.0 0.0 0.0 0.0 0.0 0.0 0.0 4.8 9.6 2.6

12hr Prob Snowfall>= 8in 0.0 0.0 0.0 0.0 0.0 0.0 0.0 0.0 0.0 0.0 0.0

12hr Prob Snowfall>=10in 0.0 0.0 0.0 0.0 0.0 0.0 0.0 0.0 0.0 0.0 0.0

3-5 for you, Kev..

Archived