BlueSkyGA
    Newest Member
    BlueSkyGA
Feb 11/12 Storm Disco II

Baroclinic Zone

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Usually when this happens we end up praying for a hail mary inverted trough feature and end up with a general 1-3.

yup and even with all the red flags being thrown about

we ALL are fearful of the offshore low bombing and stealing the show and thus in this winter it appears most likely scenario

watch we'll have snow showers with lucky dustings hear and there as offshore low steals the show...0z gfs and ens will be key IMO

so we got this winter's ju ju against red flags on gefs and euro ens (to less degree both being nw of op with qpf)

Either way, I think it's safe to hold off on any possible numbers til tonights runs at least. Probably 12z tomorrow to be safe. The effects of that small southern stream energy seem to be so heavily echoed in what the low does that until the N and S streams are figured out a little more it's really just a crap shoot

GFS seems weird developing the low soooo far out to sea with that piece of southern stream energy. I panned through the 7H maps first and thought we had a closer low ...then saw what the GFS was up to.

Quite the difference between the NAM and everyone else... this is going to be a good battle down to start time. I'd feel pretty good though if I were from ETaunton up towards BOS area... Messenger, CapeCodwx, etc.

Hopefully it ticks more NW for some of the interior crowd up towards HFD-ORH line.

Does anyone really care what the GFS is showing lol? I mean honestly??

Over the last 45 days it has better verification than the Euro - a fact that is being routinely ignored/and or not registered. Doens't mean that will true here, no ...but just sayin'

Does anyone really care what the GFS is showing lol? I mean honestly??

Is the NAM the only model really showing something bigger than a 1-3" interior, and 3-6" SE MA and coastal areas? GFS and ECM seem pretty similar. Not sure I'd toss those in favor of the NAM, although that does look tasty for a Ginx firepit session.

It would be awful if this thing charged NW in the last 24hrs like most of the systems this winter leaving the Easterner's with mixing issues and crushing GC with heavy snow. But hey, when does that ever happen?

this year it's possible but more likely out to sea with bombing offshore low while as ray says "were all smoking cirrus" and EVEN the 1-3 we had in the bank yesterday goes bye bye in replace of dustings with lolli's to an inch

I wonder mets.....what is the likelihood of the offshore low bombing and qpf screwing us.....what would make this more likely

Over the last 45 days it has better verification than the Euro - a fact that is being routinely ignored/and or not registered. Doens't mean that will true here, no ...but just sayin'

I don't believe that is true. OSUmet posted the stats the other day... the ECM is handily beating the GFS at H5, at least around Day 4-5. At least I'm pretty sure that's what the scores were for.

this year it's possible but more likely out to sea with bombing offshore low while as ray says "were all smoking cirrus" and EVEN the 1-3 we had in the bank yesterday goes bye bye in replace of dustings with lolli's to an inch

I wonder mets.....what is the likelihood of the offshore low bombing and qpf screwing us.....what would make this more likely

Lots of pessimism bred by a Winter lacking threats. The good thing is past performance isn't indicative of future results.

Pete I've had more snow events and probably more snow in the last couple of weeks than you :)

I think the 18z GFS should be taken with a grain of salt for the moment. There's a weak feature at 5h that I mentioned earlier...it exits over Brownsville about this time Friday. The GFS ends up spinning that up into a pretty intense feature offshore...I think through true convective feedback on this run....the 500mb feature intensifies more than it apparently should. In the end I'd say go with NCEP and the EURO/GFS & ens compromise, forget the NAM for now (and probably ignore this run of the GFS for now)...the NAM could still end up being right for the wrong reasons but is probably too far NW.

Meanwhile, nobody cares about the potential weenie pattern for some in the northeast through the 20th or so...lol.

Yeah, I mentioned that 3 days ago, and no one responded. The long wave pattern breaks down and opens up to a train of disturbances across the nation. Snow or rain, gets stormy

LOL Pete... you're someone that never gives up. Always rubbing it in the rest of SNE faces ;) C'mon dude, cheer one of these storms on for the eastern crowd.

I'm kidding. Frankly, I'm not at all invested in this. I've just had a major dose of Winter and have snow IMBY to play in so it's all good. But, if given the choice of getting snow here at the expense of the CP or them getting snow and me cirrus, well, I think you know which way I would cruelly cast my vote.

yup and even with all the red flags being thrown about

we ALL are fearful of the offshore low bombing and stealing the show and thus in this winter it appears most likely scenario

watch we'll have snow showers with lucky dustings hear and there as offshore low steals the show...0z gfs and ens will be key IMO

so we got this winter's ju ju against red flags on gefs and euro ens (to less degree both being nw of op with qpf)

here's where HM's objectivity rant is useful... this is a totally different scenario than we've had all winter... PV digging and potential northern/southern phase off the coast at the right time... suckiness all winter long has no relevance to this weekend

Archived