• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    BlueSkyGA
    Newest Member
    BlueSkyGA
Feb 11/12 Storm Disco II

Baroclinic Zone

I honestly would love see a good swath of 4-8 here in Augusta Maine..but hey what ever happens...nice to something on the boards..three storms here so far since Halloween...hoping February will be better

I think 1-2" is more likely, though that's an improvement from zero. However, the tradeoff seems to be that the weekend cold snap gets shorter and less impressive - gfs had H85s 4-5C above earlier runs, and both Sat and Mon look less cold than in earlier forecasts. Also, the trough GYX calls for Sunday night would kill the radiational cooling, so no -20 for MBY frost pocket, probably no -10.

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The fact that the GFS and EURO ensembles are on and or Northwest of their respective ops is a red flag and leads me to believe they are both coming NW. The fact some GGEM ensembles show a 970 bomb shows the potential.

I am also liking a nasty deform band to develop well NW of the low, kinda like helloween. Scott, what's your take on a possible deform band?

I expect the GFS to look something like NAM or maybe even NW of it.. the classic NAM GFS swircheroo

Your deformation band would probably be closer to the actual low than normal. If the NAM is right, it's more of a case of strong low to mid level convergence which also may keep it closer to the low. Honestly, it's way to early to get picky. At least it seems like many of us will get measurable and a possible widespread advisory event.

Wow, just saw some of the 12z suite...its definitely looking like this is coming closer than forecast a day ago...Euro still kind of meh, but with the ensembles showing possible further NW track, we are probably not done trending this

This is definitely looking like a green flag for everyone east of Tolland, CT ... mm hm.

Ok...

It sounded like you were arguing that Ray's getting the futility record this season (ie flipping a 50th coin tail) has the same chance as Ray's getting the futility record next or any season (ie flipping 50 coin tails next or future season), and this is not correct.

Right. After 99 heads in a row, the probability of the 100th flip being heads is 50%.

I think 1-2" is more likely, though that's an improvement from zero. However, the tradeoff seems to be that the weekend cold snap gets shorter and less impressive - gfs had H85s 4-5C above earlier runs, and both Sat and Mon look less cold than in earlier forecasts. Also, the trough GYX calls for Sunday night would kill the radiational cooling, so no -20 for MBY frost pocket, probably no -10.

Trading subzero temps for snow?

Sign me up.

i don't think BOS has much temp problem at all. my area does for some of this - length of that TBD - but BOS is fine unless there's a dramatic shift in everything

I don't mean that they rain..I mean more they may have like a 32-33 wet snow esp since it's during daylight ..same issues they had in DC yestersay..Unless of course it comes down heavy enough..that's why I think areas west away fro CP might see more accumulate even with less qpf

Maybe..but I think more 2-4 or 3-5 in our area..I think BOS might be too warm for some of this

How the hell can you be throwing amounts out right now?.. a few minor positive trends and were looking at a 6-12 widespread event. A few minor changes are were looking at the low getting trapped and negative tilted for an even greater event.

IMO it's go big or go home

I'd wait til 12z tomorrow before throwing out a 2-4" snowfall.

i don't think BOS has much temp problem at all. my area does for some of this - length of that TBD - but BOS is fine unless there's a dramatic shift in everything

Yeah, its plenty cold just off the deck...and seeing the winds go north like that leads me to believe it would actually probably be a tick colder at the sfc than the models want to show. It would probably start as a 33-34F paste for BOS and then tick below freezing during the heaviest stuff.

I don't mean that they rain..I mean more they may have like a 32-33 wet snow esp since it's during daylight ..same issues they had in DC yestersay..Unless of course it comes down heavy enough..that's why I think areas west away fro CP might see more accumulate even with less qpf

It's cold aloft so with a due north wind and heavy precip rates, they should be ok. Besides I could care less if I lose an inch or two to compaction, if its wet. Wet snow FTW.

NAM has this far more dynamic than yesterday's event. That's the issue with ptype. Also, with strong cold pressing in, snow is pretty likely for most the vast majority of the event. NAM has 360 wind at 18Z Sat for BOS...it will be 27-30regardless of what the model says now if that happens.

It's cold aloft so with a due north wind and heavy precip rates, they should be ok. Besides I could care less if I lose an inch or two to compaction, if its wet. Wet snow FTW.

We're at Messengers and Tips favorite time of year for snow..the higher sun angle can hurt in marginal situations..Just something I'm throwing out as an idea..hopefully it's not an issue

How the hell can you be throwing amounts out right now?.. a few minor positive trends and were looking at a 6-12 widespread event. A few minor changes are were looking at the low getting trapped and negative tilted for an even greater event.

IMO it's go big or go home

I'd wait til 12z tomorrow before throwing out a 2-4" snowfall.

or go away

We're at Messengers and Tips favorite time of year for snow..the higher sun angle can hurt in marginal situations..Just something I'm throwing out as an idea..hopefully it's not an issue

It's still early February. Not an issue yet. There's a reaosn the biggest daytime storms in history in Boston all have occurred this month.

It's Feb 9th, sun angle really isn't a big deal. That would be more of a concern a month from now, we don't live in Atlanta.

It's still early February. Not an issue yet. There's a reaosn the biggest daytime storms in history in Boston all have occurred this month.

I think it is an issue..The sun is as high in the sky as mid October now...And this isn't going to be anyones biggest snowstorm..Again, hopefully it's not an issue..but it's something to think about

Archived