BlueSkyGA
    Newest Member
    BlueSkyGA
Feb 11/12 Storm Disco II

Baroclinic Zone

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

All the 3, NAM, GFS and UK' appear to have convective contamination going on. They have elongated lows that pinpoint a center out over a giant convective-related QPF explosion. Remove that, there's your NW adjustment...

Will that happen? Could... But, sometimes convective contamination works out. It's tough to know when to ingore it or not. One thing that is interesting is that the wave that just exited the MA is advecting sub 0C 850mb air out over the Gulf Stream. Natively ...that would modify in time, but in this case there isn't enough "in time" - N stream digs a tad and times well with a vestigial s stream impulse riding up off the lower MA, and together they lift a potent jet max over the top of that sfc-850mb enhanced baroclinic axis...

I don't think the strung out/enlongated look is due to convective feedback, though. It appears to me that enlongated look is due to models keeping both shortwaves separately. In essence you're lowering pressures over a large area and not a consolidated bomb.

I don't think the strung out/enlongated look is due to convective feedback, though. It appears to me that enlongated look is due to models keeping both shortwaves separately. In essence you're lowering pressures over a large area and not a consolidated bomb.

Right, it's not like the QPF is driving the 5h feature to appear in a true feedback loop, instead it's a distinct and plottable s/w that drives the moisture.

You could very well be right there - just sayin'

But also, that QPF output out there looks a bit excessive. if so, it's over doing convection - if so, leads that feedback.

Could be both aspect going on. Pretty much impossible to unravel what is what.

Archived