BlueSkyGA
    Newest Member
    BlueSkyGA
Feb 11/12 Storm Disco II

Baroclinic Zone

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ray, serious question and please dont take anything out of it, other than what I am asking........do you enjoy the snow? Do you ski or sled, walk in it while its falling, stomach turn to knots waiting for the first flakes in the porch light? Is it about the records, and tracking or is it about enjoying it while its happening and getting out in it doing things while its on the ground. I was just curious.

I'm not sure what he does out in the snow... but he DOES love snow. I just think that he wants to either go big, or not have anything. ...He likes to jackpot, and doesn't care if he gets under 4", it's like he doesn't want to be bothered with "nuisance snows."

He's a huge IMBY weenie, doesn't give to $hits about GC, CC, VT/NH, or anyplace else that might get more snow than him. It's all good though!

I need MPM bemoaning our qpf out here. This part of GC could certainly stand to see this move 50-75 NW and I'll leave that possibility on the table until tomorrow.

I don't know where MPM is at the moment, so I'll be the one to state my worries about QPF out here... I'd love to see this thing come west a ton...

Ski season has sucked in terms of lift ticket purchases, I think mostly due to the "backyard effect." Even if we don't get much, anything will be gravy, and if it brings people from the coastal tropics up north to ski, that's great for business...

It handled the precip out this way perfectly, radar was almost a perfect reflection of qpf, yes it was delayed for the cape but nailed it to the west.

it was OK inside of 24 hours. horrendous outside of that window. i don't know why, but that's been its thing this winter.

it sucked with that storm yesterday/last night.

iirc, there were runs right up until 30-36 hours out that didn't get any precip into NNJ...none along the S coast of CT/RI/MA etc. some weren't even close...like kept the precip 75 miles south of the islands. i think it snowed in SE CT and up into RI and parts of SE MA.

Well how it tries to bomb out that low in a compact manner. Maybe the location isn't entirely correct, but it may have the idea. What gives me some pause, is the interaction of the southern vort, but I think if you take a consensus of what we have now..it may be a good estimate. I think there is room for some improvement, but we do not want the nrn vortmax to weaken or become less compact and strung out.

scott you had mentioned you just (paraphrasing) wish the s. stream would go away or dissapear

i mean if we can for the context of this hypoth. situation say the n. stream will stay impressive on modeling .....what do we want the S. stream to do.....1..be modeled weaker...2.and or faster..(to get the f outta the way) ...3..and or possibly phase perfectly. i mean can the first two of these possibilities just let the n. stream do it's thing.....and then the last possibiilty ....perfect amplification ahead drawing S stream more northward into perfect phase or am i in left fieled. just wondering what we should be hoping for with s. stream

Ray, serious question and please dont take anything out of it, other than what I am asking........do you enjoy the snow? Do you ski or sled, walk in it while its falling, stomach turn to knots waiting for the first flakes in the porch light? Is it about the records, and tracking or is it about enjoying it while its happening and getting out in it doing things while its on the ground. I was just curious.

I enjoy tracking it and watching it fall....and the appearence of a deep, especially freshly fallen snowpack....the emotion it evokes from me makes me feel like a child again.

But no, I don't participate in winter sports.

I enjoy tracking it and watching it fall....and the appearence of a deep, especially freshly fallen snowpack....the emotion it evokes from me makes me feel like a child again.

But no, I don't participate in any sports as I am not athletically inclined

Well i would consider weightlifting as being somewhat athletic

it was OK inside of 24 hours. horrendous outside of that window. i don't know why, but that's been its thing this winter.

it sucked with that storm yesterday/last night.

iirc, there were runs right up until 30-36 hours out that didn't get any precip into NNJ...none along the S coast of CT/RI/MA etc. some weren't even close...like kept the precip 75 miles south of the islands. i think it snowed in SE CT and up into RI and parts of SE MA.

Nam was terrible like you said yesterday's 12z was well se of ack with measurable. Bad run. It got it right out by LL by default only.

scott you had mentioned you just (paraphrasing) wish the s. stream would go away or dissapear

i mean if we can for the context of this hypoth. situation say the n. stream will stay impressive on modeling .....what do we want the S. stream to do.....1..be modeled weaker...2.and or faster..(to get the f outta the way) ...3..and or possibly phase perfectly. i mean can the first two of these possibilities just let the n. stream do it's thing.....and then the last possibiilty ....perfect amplification ahead drawing S stream more northward into perfect phase or am i in left fieled. just wondering what we should be hoping for with s. stream

Well it would be nice to phase, but that runs the risk of bringing it over the Cape, and I also don't see that in the cards right now. I don't think it's as important for it to be faster as it is, weaker. IMO, it won't get weaker, so hopefully it just stays as is currently modeled. It would be nice if it did, but I think it probably holds steady. I think if the nrn stream energy came in a little stronger, it might crush or boot out the srn stuff a little quicker. We still would have a low develop in response well se, but a stronger s/w taps into the gulf stream baroclinic zone left over. That's what the GEFS are doing and really blow up the nw side of the low...basically the comma head. This should have a beast of a comma head and if someone gets into that, it will be wild.

This isn't a case where' the later southern s/w is coming ashore in the Baja or off the Pac. It's in Idaho at 12z. It's been fairly well sampled. It will no doubt be better analyzed as it comes out of the Rockies tonight and in the morning, but we are unlikely to see major shifts, JMHO in speed.

agree, and i think this is a good thing...

we have much less chance of a complete whiff as has happened with multiple D4+ threats earlier this winter

Ray doesn't realize that reaching or not reaching futility has 0 effect on the following season. eg: Why not futility twice? Equal chances year to year but low probability in either year.

Not sure I agree with this...

Season 2011-12: Ray's already flipped a coin tails 49 times, chance Ray gets that 50th tail is 50%.

Season 2012-13: chance Ray flips a coin tails 50 times is 50%^50 = 0.0000000001% or something, you get the point

it shifted around some but overall is pretty similar

All the 3, NAM, GFS and UK' appear to have convective contamination going on. They have elongated lows that pinpoint a center out over a giant convective-related QPF explosion. Remove that, there's your NW adjustment...

Will that happen? Could... But, sometimes convective contamination works out. It's tough to know when to ingore it or not. One thing that is interesting is that the wave that just exited the MA is advecting sub 0C 850mb air out over the Gulf Stream. Natively ...that would modify in time, but in this case there isn't enough "in time" - N stream digs a tad and times well with a vestigial s stream impulse riding up off the lower MA, and together they lift a potent jet max over the top of that sfc-850mb enhanced baroclinic axis...

It's not a shocker the low booms as it passes because of that...but where!? If the N stream digs about a half an erg in this deal than it foist that captured(ing) low more NW....

There is also a subtlety there that may not be as readily observed; the n stream digging has different character during the fist 30 hours of that action... Originally, the SPV came on down in tact and that actually caused more of a damping influence on the field - too much gradient. As is exemplified in these last couple of NAM runs ... the flow is a little more relaxed in the southern semi-circle of the n stream trough axis.. This causes more S/W wind energy to be expressed --> better DPVA thus runs up just SE of the LI. Heh, playing with absolute gas and matches with that.

It'll be interesting to see how this thing evolves. Whatever happens between hour 48 and 60 .. man is that one mother f deep SPV that is generated over Maine!

Archived