• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    BlueSkyGA
    Newest Member
    BlueSkyGA
Feb 11/12 Storm Disco II

Baroclinic Zone

This isn't a case where' the later southern s/w is coming ashore in the Baja or off the Pac. It's in Idaho at 12z. It's been fairly well sampled. It will no doubt be better analyzed as it comes out of the Rockies tonight and in the morning, but we are unlikely to see major shifts, JMHO in speed.

I noticed this earlier. Everything had it initializing along the Idaho/Montana border. But looking at WV, it appears to me that it is clearly in the middle of Montana not the Idaho/Montana border.

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

in nyc thread

It's not that it's robbing moisture, it's interferring with the ability of the northern system to develop and wind up in time. We're not talking about a situation where we sometimes see these things coming in off the Baja, still see a nice system develop off the Delmarva but have a ragged, crappy precip pattern (ie a dry slot in the mid levels associated with a s/w passing east). This is competing s/w's that trigger or try to trigger two systems that interfere with the development of one another. In this case the SE system just has more moisture to work with, but even the NAM has two independent lobes of loads of QPF.

messenger did that happen last year with that system that gave DC to SNE a snow blitz that wasn't nailed down to that evening. the thing was more impressive shock shock and awe snow bomb for 4 hours after midnite . that had 1 piece of energy escape SE and then the last was very close to missing us but it just crushed MASS with like 15 inches in milford in like 5 hours

i have noticed that when ryan posts optomistically good things tend to happen more than not. very good met.

Thanks.

I do see an opportunity for this to be a more sizable storm. A lot of times there's really not much room for improvement but there certainly is this time.

I like the look of this thing still. Many of the GFS ensemble members are quite amped up with good hits. I think we could still see this trend west.

As long as the nrn stream energy is strong enough, it won't really matter what the srn stream system does. I mean it will to a point, but if the nrn stream energy is strong enough, it will just cause a compact but powerful low to form with a tight, but potent comma head. Look at the ensembles to see what I mean. It may mean we have a sharp gradient and a screw job for some way out west, but the low could be a tight powerhouse. If the nrn stream energy is modeled weaker, or the srn stream energy is a little strong and further east, the combo may mean more of a weaker and broad area of lighter QPF. But for now, get your pom-poms and cheer on the nrn stream, because we'll need it.

No, but whatever.....all set with 1-3", but I'll live.

Ray, serious question and please dont take anything out of it, other than what I am asking........do you enjoy the snow? Do you ski or sled, walk in it while its falling, stomach turn to knots waiting for the first flakes in the porch light? Is it about the records, and tracking or is it about enjoying it while its happening and getting out in it doing things while its on the ground. I was just curious.

As long as the nrn stream energy is strong enough, it won't really matter what the srn stream system does. I mean it will to a point, but if the nrn stream energy is strong enough, it will just cause a compact but powerful low to form with a tight, but potent comma head. Look at the ensembles to see what I mean. It may mean we have a sharp gradient and a screw job for some way out west, but the low could be a tight powerhouse. If the nrn stream energy is modeled weaker, or the srn stream energy is a little strong and further east, the combo may mean more of a weaker and broad area of lighter QPF. But for now, get your pom-poms and cheer on the nrn stream, because we'll need it.

Well, the NAM does handle the compact ones better...interesting to see the whether or not the 18z backs off.

Well, the NAM does handle the compact ones better...interesting to see the whether or not the 18z backs off.

I think this is like 70/30 in favor of holding or trending a bit better of the consensus right now. Of course I say this without seeing the euro ensembles. I'm going back and forth with the pros and cons, but I actually thought about the NAM like you did.

I think this is like 70/30 in favor of holding or trending a bit better of the consensus right now. Of course I say this without seeing the euro ensembles. I'm going back and forth with the pros and cons, but I actually thought about the NAM like you did.

What do you mean, it's handling of the compact ones...

What do you mean, it's handling of the compact ones...

Well how it tries to bomb out that low in a compact manner. Maybe the location isn't entirely correct, but it may have the idea. What gives me some pause, is the interaction of the southern vort, but I think if you take a consensus of what we have now..it may be a good estimate. I think there is room for some improvement, but we do not want the nrn vortmax to weaken or become less compact and strung out.

Archived