Sirianni
    Newest Member
    Sirianni
February 8 Storm Obs/Discussion

NoVaWx

• Replies 850
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If its 33 at the surface and snowing hard in the afternoon after a morning high of 41, I expect much the same result as Saturday. I don't think the snow will be colder or more apt to accumulate because its 3C colder 5000' feet up. But since I have no education in the science, I'll anxiously await my 1-3" tomorrow and enjoy learning what a difference colder temps aloft can make. :grad:

I don't expect you'll have a morning high of 41. Even if you did, a few hours won't greatly influence any ground temps. Whatever they are right now, I'd think they'd be close to that when the snow starts. I don't know anything about the science of it either, but I don't know why ground temps would be warmer tomorrow than they were Saturday. I think the +/- 2 degrees from Sat could come into play, and 2 less would have made a big difference and might tomorrow. BTW, when the snow started at my house on Sat. it was an unbelievable 40 degrees. Within an hour it was 34 with snow on the ground.

At MRB, your temp is supposed to be 35.7 at the time the precip starts, with a dewpoint of about 30, and all the levels above you below freezing. Again, I don't know, but any decent rate of precip is going to cool that temp down a couple of degrees, and I'd think that precip falling through layers of air that are all below freezing would tend to pull down at least some of that air. Now by 0z you're modeled to be almost at freezing. Models are off a couple of degrees, you're below freezing. I'd think that your snow would accumulate rather easily at those temps. Maybe if I'm way off on the reasoning, somebody will correct my errors.

I guess that's a long winded way of saying I think you've got a chance at a decent snow, better than Saturday. The NAM also spits out 0.23 for you.

I don't expect you'll have a morning high of 41. Even if you did, a few hours won't greatly influence any ground temps. Whatever they are right now, I'd think they'd be close to that when the snow starts. I don't know anything about the science of it either, but I don't know why ground temps would be warmer tomorrow than they were Saturday. I think the +/- 2 degrees from Sat could come into play, and 2 less would have made a big difference and might tomorrow. BTW, when the snow started at my house on Sat. it was an unbelievable 40 degrees. Within an hour it was 34 with snow on the ground.

At MRB, your temp is supposed to be 35.7 at the time the precip starts, with a dewpoint of about 30, and all the levels above you below freezing. Again, I don't know, but any decent rate of precip is going to cool that temp down a couple of degrees, and I'd think that precip falling through layers of air that are all below freezing would tend to pull down at least some of that air. Now by 0z you're modeled to be almost at freezing. Models are off a couple of degrees, you're below freezing. I'd think that your snow would accumulate rather easily at those temps. Maybe if I'm way off on the reasoning, somebody will correct my errors.

I guess that's a long winded way of saying I think you've got a chance at a decent snow, better than Saturday. The NAM also spits out 0.23 for you.

I had 0.25" on Saturday, but I lost some to rain at the onset. Your points are valid and I too am hoping for a snowier solution this time. Guess we'll see how it works out. I'd like to see some other models get wetter before I'd buy the NAM.

BTW- I've managed to get to 31.5 now after a high of 52. :)

I had 0.25" on Saturday, but I lost some to rain at the onset. Your points are valid and I too am hoping for a snowier solution this time. Guess we'll see how it works out. I'd like to see some other models get wetter before I'd buy the NAM.

I had .28 liquid equiv. on Saturday and got an inch and change in snow but it was heavy for awhile, this despite temps around 40 degrees at the outset and only down to 34 by the time it ended... Somehow I don't think it will snow as hard tomorrow as it did on Saturday.

I had .28 liquid equiv. on Saturday and got an inch and change in snow but it was heavy for awhile, this despite temps around 40 degrees at the outset and only down to 34 by the time it ended... Somehow I don't think it will snow as hard tomorrow as it did on Saturday.

I don't measure the precip, but a local weather station put my area at 0.24 for the weekend. I had precip from 3 pm sat to about 10 am sunday. It wasn't heavy the whole time, but it never stopped either (unless it did in the middle of the night). That's 19 hours worth. This is supposed to give (NAM) 0.2 or so in a 6 hour period tomorrow (my area). I would think it may snow harder tomorrow than it did Sat.

Thanks to MN Transplant and my new toy, the SREF plumes have increased snow for every location I checked. For KOKV, me, it has a mean at about 2 inches, with a high approaching 4. It shows a little more for WV climo. It has a mean of about an inch for IAD, and about 0.5 for DC. It also shows a little snow for Sat.

Archived