Sirianni
    Newest Member
    Sirianni
February 8 Storm Obs/Discussion

NoVaWx

• Replies 850
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I would be shocked if my forecast from NWS actually verified, everything that falls would have to be accumulating snow for this to have a chance to happen.

Wednesday: Snow, mainly after 10am. High near 39. East wind between 3 and 7 mph. Chance of precipitation is 100%. New snow accumulation of 1 to 2 inches possible.

Wednesday Night: A chance of snow before 10pm. Cloudy during the early evening, then gradual clearing, with a low around 28. North wind between 3 and 7 mph. Chance of precipitation is 30%. New snow accumulation of less than one inch possible.

So, with the jet max depicted below, Martinsburg is affected by the left exit if I have the nomenclature correct?

it's a bit more broad than to say it affects a specific region...i don't have time to go into quasi-geostrophic theory (watching election results) but maybe some other time..it's a weak system that's the main takeaway,,,the more elevation the better, N and NW of DC

My thoughts on 'paper'. Definitely would like comments/criticisms. Still working to understand alot of the terrain in the western part of the LWX area.

Anything under the 1" may have accum's but less than an one inch.

1zwfcco.png

Your elevation snows are probably a bit far east. The very western edge of Allegany County, Md is where that comes into play. Also your light pink 3" line would probably shift west to the eastern Allegany Co. line in a climo situation.

Thanks for the effort. I miss members' forecast maps. We used to have a lot more of it back in the day.

yep, said it was warmish

and this map is usually generous on snow, isn't it?

http://raleighwx.ame...msnow_NE030.gif

Just a degree or two could be big as far as accumulations. I'd think it difficult for a model to be so accurate wrt temps that you wouldn't have reasonable hope of it just maybe being that couple of degrees colder. Of course, it works in the other direction as well. I still say give us the precip, good rates, take our chances with temps.

Just a degree or two could be big as far as accumulations. I'd think it difficult for a model to be so accurate wrt temps that you wouldn't have reasonable hope of it just maybe being that couple of degrees colder. Of course, it works in the other direction as well. I still say give us the precip, good rates, take our chances with temps.

Ditto, radiational cooling could do us a little favor overnight tonight and the rates could help us a bit with cold upper levels potentially being mixed down thanks to vertical velocities and decent rates, good rates evap cool the column, I agree give us as much qpf as we can squeeze out and go from there on the nowcast.

Ditto, radiational cooling could do us a little favor overnight tonight and the rates could help us a bit with cold upper levels potentially being mixed down thanks to vertical velocities and decent rates, good rates evap cool the column, I agree give us as much qpf as we can squeeze out and go from there on the nowcast.

i was 7 degrees colder Friday night at this time than I am tonight. I had nice rates and higher QPF on Saturday than expected tomorrow, not withstanding the good NAM run tonight. Afternoon temps are modeled tomorrow almost exactly as they verified Saturday. And I accumulated less than an inch.

The profile is colder this time, so it will be interesting to measure what difference that makes.

i was 7 degrees colder Friday night at this time than I am tonight. I had nice rates and higher QPF on Saturday than expected tomorrow, not withstanding the good NAM run tonight. Afternoon temps are modeled tomorrow almost exactly as they verified Saturday. And I accumulated less than an inch.

The profile is colder this time, so it will be interesting to measure what difference that makes.

I don't think we can equate one with the other. I don't know about all levels, but this time the 850s are defintely colder. We may be warmer right now than Friday night, but we also had some broken sunshine Sat. morning so it may all end up about even.

I don't think we can equate one with the other. I don't know about all levels, but this time the 850s are defintely colder. We may be warmer right now than Friday night, but we also had some broken sunshine Sat. morning so it may all end up about even.

If its 33 at the surface and snowing hard in the afternoon after a morning high of 41, I expect much the same result as Saturday. I don't think the snow will be colder or more apt to accumulate because its 3C colder 5000' feet up. But since I have no education in the science, I'll anxiously await my 1-3" tomorrow and enjoy learning what a difference colder temps aloft can make. :grad:

Archived