Newest Member
    Sirianni
February 8 Storm Obs/Discussion

NoVaWx

• Replies 850
  • Created
  • Last Reply

LWX going bullish

Pretty sad winter when we call an inch bullish. But you don't think we could pull an area wide inch excluding the pavement? Thickness isn't terrible, 850s look ok and the vort looks okay as modeled. surface is not great but only a shallow layer. QPF has marginally increased since yesterday. An inch west of 95 is not totally silly.

Pretty sad winter when we call an inch bullish. But you don't think we could pull an area wide inch excluding the pavement? Thickness isn't terrible, 850s look ok and the vort looks okay as modeled. surface is not great but only a shallow layer. QPF has marginally increased since yesterday. An inch west of 95 is not totally silly.

I dont see an inch occuring that far south..overnight temps only drop to 35-40 there and wont get below 35 during the event...Not only it will probably start as rain south of DC, maybe even DC proper

I dont see an inch occuring that far south..overnight temps only drop to 35-40 there and wont get below 35 during the event...Not only it will probably start as rain south of DC, maybe even DC proper

I kind of agree that far east but not necessarily south. I am sitting at 38 in west PW after coming home at 5 to a temp of 54. If I were making that map I would shave it back from SE back to the NW about 15 or 20 miles from the bottom of the 1 inch line based on the 18z models. I think if the 850s are modeled correctly the temps will end up a touch lower. I am just posting for conversation and am probably wrong.

I really never look at the lwx snowfall maps. Are they automated computer output generated? They look like they are. If so, I don't think it's wise to use them as guidance with events like this.

Sure it could easily snow the equivalent of an inch but by the time it's done melting on the warm ground and getting tortured by the blazing feb sun angle there will never be a measurable inch on the ground.

I'm in Philly this week, and they are calling for mainly rain here until tomorrow night. Less than an inch accumulation. How could we get less than DC? Berk's map would suggest 2-3 if you extrapolated...

Extrapolating maps made by local mets to outside areas isn't a good idea. And yes, sometimes Philly gets less than DC.

I really never look at the lwx snowfall maps? Are they automated computer output generated? They look like they are. If so, I don't think it's wise to use them as guidance with events like this.

Sure it could easily snow the equivalent of an inch but by the time it's done melting on the warm ground and getting tortured by the blazing feb sun angle there will never be a measurable inch on the ground.

I guess like most events we'll be either surprised or disgusted....but it will be fun to track the snow, drink beer and post the play by play...to me that is the best part of winter and I wish we could do it more often

why are you tracking 850 mb vorticity?

I'm guessing that the best lifting mechanism is just north of the 850 mb low.

Of course, with this system, it is more of an open wave.

What do you think? Something tells me a meteorologist will suggest that

the 300 mb jet max trying to carve a trough is the more specific lifting mechanism.

My thoughts on 'paper'. Definitely would like comments/criticisms. Still working to understand alot of the terrain in the western part of the LWX area.

Anything under the 1" may have accum's but less than an one inch.

Remove the 3" zone, and be mindful of the topography around Frederick, the Blue Ridge mts, and Carroll county.

Otherwise it looks reasonable.

I'm guessing that the best lifting mechanism is just north of the 850 mb low.

Of course, with this system, it is more of an open wave.

What do you think? Something tells me a meteorologist will suggest that

the 300 mb jet max trying to carve a trough is the more specific lifting mechanism.

I'd stick with the mid-level vort, best snow will fall north of that track, regarding upper-level jets pay attention to the left exit region or the right entrance region.

Archived