Sirianni
    Newest Member
    Sirianni
February 8 Storm Obs/Discussion

NoVaWx

• Replies 850
  • Created
  • Last Reply

baises and trends are important. lwx had almost no chance of verifying their map last night and that was apparent as soon as it showed up. im not sure how anyone beleived in much more than .1" qpf around here to be honest. i mean, i thought we'd get a cartopper at least which we seem to have evaded but still.

When the models mostly went lower qpf for DCA in the last second, that was probably the final blow...DC needed solid precip to get snow. The freezing heights weren't that high, but with lighter precip its tough to latently (and dynamically) cool the last 1000 feet or so.

It was interesting to see radiational heating and it's effects on accumulation up here. Had a general 1 inch snowfall on grassy surfaces but in isolated areas that were shaded for most if not all of the day as well as tree limbs above the ground that total was probably closer to 2 inches.

It was the same thing down here but with lesser amounts since Clarksburg only recorded 0.6". Any slightly raised surface that faced S or W had a dusting and N & E surfaces had the full (ugh) 0.6".

Also, even though temps were just a hair below freezing for the majority of the event and it dropped to 25.9F last night, the residual warm ground melted the snow from the bottom up throughout the night so the snow by morning was sparkly dry (that is a technical term) but resting up on top of the grass. Here's a pic:

post-109-0-80853600-1328802380.jpg

He's west of me in the Greenspring Valley, I think.

Good memory that is where i am, that is not west of you it is slightly east and about 12 miles north of you. When i was driving home from work last night and i drove through Owings Mills there was already accumulating snow on the grass there and that is only about 5 miles north of you.

Good memory that is where i am, that is not west of you it is slightly east and about 12 miles north of you. When i was driving home from work last night and i drove through Owings Mills there was already accumulating snow on the grass there and that is only about 5 miles north of you.

:huh:

If you're 12 miles north of Pikesville then you'd be around Sparks Glencoe.

I'm literally in Pikesville. I think Ravensrule is in the circled area. You and Mapgirl are in Cockeysville, right?

By the way, I got a solid dusting yesterday evening.

post-1326-0-59730100-1328805074.jpg

Fozz is a little south of Oregon Ridge on the west side of 83... I'm over by Loch Raven Reservoir.

He and I both got .8

I'm literally in Pikesville. I think Ravensrule is in the circled area. You and Mapgirl are in Cockeysville, right?

By the way, I got a solid dusting yesterday evening.

post-1326-0-59730100-1328805074.jpg

Yes, me and mapgirl live in Cockeysville, but on opposite sides of town. I actually live very close to your ravensrule circle.

Archived