Sirianni
    Newest Member
    Sirianni
February 8 Storm Obs/Discussion

NoVaWx

• Replies 850
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It was a snow/rain mix when I left work in PG at around 4. It was pretty much a light rain as I got within a few miles either side of the Potomac, then more flakes mixed in as I got further west on the Beltway. But between Springfield and home - only a few miles NNW and perhaps a little higher elevation - it was mostly snow. But it wasn't sticking at all.

34* with some flakes dropping like a rock because they're so wet. Thank God it's not 55 and sunny.

All snow in Columbia now, little slush layer on the deck. Driving back from Baltimore about half an hour ago, it was all rain until after I got off 95 near Columbia and drove north on 100. Then it turned into SNRA.

A bit OT, but do you think the elevation in that area around rt.100 next to Howard High makes a difference? Some places around there are over 500'.

setting the bar even lower than your low bar is usually a good strategy here.

Saw most.. including lwx go pretty decent for the event.. i was thinking even lower than what i drew.. but the influence of people who have degrees saying more was possible lured me in.. that and the fact (of course) forecasting more rather than less is pleasing.

The BL had me worried all along, should have went with my gut instinct. Oh well. Might not fair so badly around the BWI/DCA metros but I'm pretty sure a big bust out west.

EDIT: just saw ellinwood's post... seems we both fell for the same trap.

Saw most.. including lwx go pretty decent for the event.. i was thinking even lower than what i drew.. but the influence of people who have degrees saying more was possible lured me in.. that and the fact (of course) forecasting more rather than less is pleasing.

The BL had me worried all along, should have went with my gut instinct. Oh well. Might not fair so badly around the BWI/DCA metros but I'm pretty sure a big bust out west.

EDIT: just saw ellinwood's post... seems we both fell for the same trap.

Ha I ninja'd you :P It wasn't so much what others were forecasting as it was the amount of QPF the models were spitting out with decent temps aloft... DCA and IAD were forecast to have around 0.15-0.20"+ of QPF, and they'll end up with around 0.1" for this event. Add the rain/snow line being further north than expected and you get crap snow totals.

Archived