• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Sirianni
    Newest Member
    Sirianni
February 8 Storm Obs/Discussion

NoVaWx

I kept thinking while watching radar yesterday that the precip shield was pretty much ragged the whole day. Not much is really changing. I'm sure there will be a period of higher rate stuff as the vort rotates through but we really need steady precip to work on surface temps. Looks like it will be off and on with varying intensities until the best lift comes through.

No big deal though. My expectations were set properly.

• Replies 850
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I kept thinking while watching radar yesterday that the precip shield was pretty much ragged the whole day. Not much is really changing. I'm sure there will be a period of higher rate stuff as the vort rotates through but we really need steady precip to work on surface temps. Looks like it will be off and on with varying intensities until the best lift comes through.

No big deal though. My expectations were set properly.

Not quite sure why anyone thought this event would come in like gangbusters and steady snow immediately. No model had measurable precip before around 2pm. This is all pretty standard.

Not quite sure why anyone thought this event would come in like gangbusters and steady snow immediately. No model had measurable precip before around 2pm. This is all pretty standard.

+1000

People like to extrapolate the radar before the system has even fully developed... filling-in FTW.

+1000

People like to extrapolate the radar before the system has even fully developed... filling-in FTW.

we're losing like 2/3 to 3/4 of precip here in dc at the least.. just seeing snow falling was awesome in october. feb naso much.

Absolutely agree. I did my best to "envision" what to expect once people started throwing around 2-3-even 4" totals yesterday. Temps were too suspect for that. Heck even with a cold surface those totals would have been an absolute best case scenario and we know how often that happens.

I set my sights on a slushy inch best case and that is looking to probably be a bit too optimistic.

+1000

In this case extrapolating radar would have been a reason to doubt anything "decent" today. I hope I didn't imply that I was exptrapolating radar because I know better than that. I was just looking at it as reference to how organized the shield was and for the most part it wasn't organized much at all.

Absolutely agree. I did my best to "envision" what to expect once people started throwing around 2-3-even 4" totals yesterday. Temps were too suspect for that. Heck even with a cold surface those totals would have been an absolute best case scenario and we know how often that happens.

I set my sights on a slushy inch best case and that is looking to probably be a bit too optimistic.

People don't want to learn. Other than a nam run that everyone should have dismissed since it is an inferior model, this has been a warm, low Qpf event for Dc.

You mean in terms of not accumulating? Yes. I don't get your point? It is a minor non-impact event in all likelihood. You werent expecting different?

no point really. im not sure who you were addressing in your original post. the whole radar thing goes both ways as well.. last weekend we had people all excited about rd two even though it was apparent it was not going to do much areawide when it was all showery looking to the west.

But most of the mets and more knowledgeable enthusiasts weren't putting out that much.

In this case extrapolating radar would have been a reason to doubt anything "decent" today. I hope I didn't imply that I was exptrapolating radar because I know better than that. I was just looking at it as reference to how organized the shield was and for the most part it wasn't organized much at all.

radar looks crappy for most of us.. not as crappy as nothing but meh.

no point really. im not sure who you were addressing in your original post. the whole radar thing goes both ways as well.. last weekend we had people all excited about rd two even though it was apparent it was not going to do much areawide when it was all showery looking to the west.

It was just a general point.

It wasn't directed at you (mostly towards midatlanticweather for this particular event but a general statement as well)... you're good in my book :wub:

Archived