Sirianni
    Newest Member
    Sirianni
February 8 Storm Obs/Discussion

NoVaWx

• Replies 850
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That's a good question, I'm not sure who they communicate with, I imagine management of LWX would play that role. It's one of those things where there is pretty much no harm in this call (people who can't telework have to take their own leave, so it's not like feds are getting a free day off), while not being aggressive last January was way more harmful.

Reminds me of when I was still in the AF and some Army folks made a weather-related call on base opening and closing by checking out weather.com instead of asking our advice or even consulting the forecast we had sent them.

I have a flight out of Dulles at 7. The worst part is, closings, early dismissals, and a general panic are going to force me to leave several hours in advance. Ugh, I really hate this area. It was funny though last weekend. A lady at Giant says to me "are you buying groceries cause you need them or for the snowstorm on it's way". lol, people are so clueless.

Does OPM consult with any of the hundreds (?) of government-employed meteorologists within the DC metro area when they do these things? A simple consultation should be able to tell them that the snow will almost certainly not accumulate on the roads no matter how much falls.

Every indication is that they do not.

Not that it matters much at this point. I lowered expectations to trace 0 maybe an inch - is the activity splitting? PA looks like it is getting quite a bit and steady moderate rain south, we look pitiful! And temps high too! Major stinker!

I think you are wrong. Best storm ever coming today

I think part of the problem is the DC proper area is on the srn edge of the better mid level frontogenesis and deformation (if you want to call it that). The best stuff is up in MD and PA.

500 was marginally interesting but it never tracked in a great way for DC itself. I don't think anyone should have had much hope here. Hopefully we get a burst to close as the sun sets or has set.

we had this discussion earlier in the thread (I think it was this one), but not everyone who works for the government lives right in the DC area--I commute with a lot of federal workers who may need to get home early if schools close early or day care centers close early, etc.

it's no cost to the taxpayer to allow workers to leave when they feel it's a safe time using their own accrued leave. the only thing the declaration of unscheduled leave does is not ding the employee's performance record for an unscheduled early departure. and if it also keeps rush hour from being a mess, it's all to the further good.

and no, I don't work for the federal government, but for a private company which follows the government.

It's still an assailable decision, based on what will likely be light rain or non-accumulating snow. For folks that live far outside of the immediate metro area, that is something that should be handled individually, and not a driver of an overall decision for early leave.

Exactly. To state otherwise is ridiculous.

It's still an assailable decision, based on what will likely be light rain or non-accumulating snow. For folks that live far outside of the immediate metro area, that is something that should be handled individually, and not a driver of an overall decision for early leave.

I don't see the need for outrage. it cost nothing additional to taxpayers and it makes peoples' lives easier.

I'm free from outrage, or rage of any kind.

It's simply an illogical decision, with no application of common sense. It's also very weak and sends the wrong message.

It's not much of a hardship to commute through light sprinkles or snow that doesn't stick.

So you agree with OPM, because this is exactly what they are saying. Individual fed employees are now authorized to make individual decisions on whether to take annual leave or telework or come to work as normal.

Archived