Sirianni
    Newest Member
    Sirianni
February 8 Storm Obs/Discussion

NoVaWx

• Replies 850
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If Justin Berk lowers his snowfall map i am jumping.

im not sure his fans even care about verification. one of them was attacking CWG via twitter last weekend about how he crushed us etc.

it's really no harm/no foul...most employees are not authorized to telework and others won't actually take their own leave, but still an overreaction.

Does OPM consult with any of the hundreds (?) of government-employed meteorologists within the DC metro area when they do these things? A simple consultation should be able to tell them that the snow will almost certainly not accumulate on the roads no matter how much falls.

it's really no harm/no foul...most employees are not authorized to telework and others won't actually take their own leave, but still an overreaction.

And most non-shift employees are already at work. So, basically, they are saying that if you want to take your own vacation time to go home early today, be our guests.

Does OPM consult with any of the hundreds (?) of government-employed meteorologists within the DC metro area when they do these things? A simple consultation should be able to tell them that the snow will almost certainly not accumulate on the roads no matter how much falls.

That's a good question, I'm not sure who they communicate with, I imagine management of LWX would play that role. It's one of those things where there is pretty much no harm in this call (people who can't telework have to take their own leave, so it's not like feds are getting a free day off), while not being aggressive last January was way more harmful.

Not that it matters much at this point. I lowered expectations to trace 0 maybe an inch - is the activity splitting? PA looks like it is getting quite a bit and steady moderate rain south, we look pitiful! And temps high too! Major stinker!

GFS and NAM sort of had the precip hanging on past 7PM, albeit light

as bad as the models are, at this range they are usually pretty good and both of them are in pretty good agreement so I think we get out .15" qpf +/-

Archived