• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Monty
    Newest Member
    Monty
February 10-12 Potential

earthlight

Lol...maybe not with an 0z NAM Hour 42 temp at 2m of 36.7 @ White Plains....I don't believe it either....crappy antecedent airmass or not....February...offshore low....north wind...850's near negative 5C....surface should be around freezing....just perusing the text outputs...I'd say those 2m temp look about 5 degrees too warm...give or take a degree...

Something screwy with that run....18z @ 42 hours surface winds at LGA are at 8 degrees...which is practically due north....0z @ 36 hours (same time, same place) surface winds are 83 degrees or almost due east...while the offshore surface feature continues to march NE on both charts...I'm not a betting man...but I think the 6z run will almost certainly come in with cooler readings @ 2m...

• Replies 940
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Something screwy with that run....18z @ 42 hours surface winds at LGA are at 8 degrees...which is practically due north....0z @ 36 hours (same time, same place) surface winds are 83 degrees or almost due east...while the offshore surface feature continues to march NE on both charts...I'm not a betting man...but I think the 6z run will almost certainly come in with cooler readings @ 2m...

William, I believe it maybe picking up on the ivt, norlun feature that exists over the area, it belted out some very impressive qpf numbers up here, just a guess though, hope all is well.

Fwiw sv snow map has 2-4 for nyc west....nothing for long island and 4-8 from orh-bos

:axe:

I'm still not buying that a tighter, more organized storm just brings rain to Long Island with the upper air that cold. If the winds stay northerly and there's some drain of cold air from inland, I just don't see it unless it's just a boring batch of stratiform light precip. It's stale air so it will be a sloppy snow, but I think it's snow for most if we see a more organized low and more dynamics.

Willing to bet north shores of li do better with this system then nyc.

I recall disagreeing with you when you made a similar claim on a December storm a few years back...and I turned out to be correct...however, this time, I agree with you...

:axe:

I'm still not buying that a tighter, more organized storm just brings rain to Long Island with the upper air that cold. If the winds stay northerly and there's some drain of cold air from inland, I just don't see it unless it's just a boring batch of stratiform light precip. It's stale air so it will be a sloppy snow, but I think it's snow for most if we see a more organized low and more dynamics.

Don't mean to cause a stir....as I don't know how reliable those maps are...its definitely colder then the nam......

I know the GFS PBL scheme causes issues for the surface temps which is why its above 32 there. I dont think it knows LI fully exists so it thinks its the LI sound. It was constantly too warm with the event 3 weeks ago.

Due north surface wind.. That's as good as you can ask for in keeping surface temps in check.... Saturated through the snow growth layer too and I bet there is probably good forced ascentat that level too

Archived