Monty
    Newest Member
    Monty
February 10-12 Potential

earthlight

• Replies 940
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I can pretty much guarantee the final solution won't look like this. The NAM has feedback issues with two lows b/t 39-50hrs then transfers the sfc low way easy at the next frame. More likely it will be a consolidated area of low pressure riding the thermal gradient offshore, but we'll see what happens.

Although the surface did not respond totally, this run, the NAM was much more amplified with the northern stream heights and associated shortwave at 36 hours. In fact, it was likely teetering on the edge of rapid cyclogenesis off the east coast. This is why we see precipitation hanging back to the NW of the surface low now in response to more favorable jet dynamics.

0.50" liquid for the entire area this run.

http://www.meteo.psu.edu/~gadomski/WRF_0z/f36.gif

Exactly what I mean with all this light, non-dynamic crap that overspreads the area being rain or a mix. We really need a more consolidated, heavier area of precip for cold enough air to drain down for snow (near the coast). The air this is working with is just too stale and mild. Luckily, as others have said, this run seems to be having feedback issues.

This is starting to look very much like the main low may end up being right along the NJ coast. I first talked about this possibility last Saturday when the Euro control run bombed this thing out just off shore of NJ and nailed the area with a foot of snow. The NAM is now starting to look very much like this. If this does consolidate into one low, the low may very well be just off shore of NJ and the end result would be quite a bit more snow, probably 6-12 inches. We are trending in that direction.

I can pretty much guarantee the final solution won't look like this. The NAM has feedback issues with two lows b/t 39-50hrs then transfers the sfc low way easy at the next frame. More likely it will be a consolidated area of low pressure riding the thermal gradient offshore, but we'll see what happens.

Looks plenty cold for Westchester.

Lol...maybe not with an 0z NAM Hour 42 temp at 2m of 36.7 @ White Plains....I don't believe it either....crappy antecedent airmass or not....February...offshore low....north wind...850's near negative 5C....surface should be around freezing....just perusing the text outputs...I'd say those 2m temp look about 5 degrees too warm...give or take a degree...

The key driver for the precip that is being output by the NAM is the Location of the vorticity maximum just east of our area from about 00Z through 06Z on Sunday. Notice how we have a sharp gradient in wind speed from about 50-60 knots to the east and about 10-20 knots just to the west. That zone in between has a maximum of divergence and associated lift. There is nothing driven thermally and 250 mb isn't all that impressive in terms of us being in a favorable jet streak location. We are dependent upon that one lifting mechanism setting up shop for about 6 hours or so.

Although the surface did not respond totally, this run, the NAM was much more amplified with the northern stream heights and associated shortwave at 36 hours. In fact, it was likely teetering on the edge of rapid cyclogenesis off the east coast. This is why we see precipitation hanging back to the NW of the surface low now in response to more favorable jet dynamics.

0.50" liquid for the entire area this run.

http://www.meteo.psu.../WRF_0z/f36.gif

Another problem is the strength of the precip shield to the SE that is OTS. It just hogs all the energy and does not allow a strong low to form. This winter... widespread 2-4" brings happy people.

No to do an exact comparison at all, but, remember December 26, 2010 when ALL the models were keeping the low consolidated WAY off shore due to some sort of feedback, then the low rode right up the coast, but the models did not pick up on it until 36 hours out. This looks awfully familiar to me. Not saying it will happen, but my goodness, could this be a feedback issue again like that one?

No to do an exact comparison at all, but, remember December 26, 2010 when ALL the models were keeping the low consolidated WAY off shore due to some sort of feedback, then the low rode right up the coast, but the models did not pick up on it until 36 hours out. This looks awfully familiar to me. Not saying it will happen, but my goodness, could this be a feedback issue again like that one?

Even when the models were east with that one, I'm pretty sure they didn't have the double lows as they do now. December 19, 2010 I think had an issue with two lows and ended up staying OTS.

I wouldn't be worried too much about surface low placement with this set up right now. I'd be banking on deformation type snow at this stage of the game... If you can get the lower levels more involved, that would be a bonus as you'd be able to generate some precip due to thermal advections, but I don't think the synoptic set up is conducive to a low pressure center close by

But Upton said it will be in the low 40s.

I don't know...I've been living in this area 41 years...unless the sun comes out Saturday afternoon...I find it hard to believe temperatures can reach 40 F in NYC...I would think 35 F would probably be the max...

I don't know...I've been living in this area 41 years...unless the sun comes out Saturday afternoon...I find it hard to believe temperatures can reach 40 F in NYC...I would think 35 F would probably be the max...

With 850s forecasted at about -2C, this actually supports a full sun max of about 50-52. On a fully cloudy day, subtract about 10 from that.. Big question mark is when does the precip start. If nothing significant falls, I see 40 as being an attainable temp

Archived