• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    happyweatherforyou
    Newest Member
    happyweatherforyou
Extreme Cold In Europe and Africa

So jealous of the cold. Should have taken a trip north last month. This morning's 20F felt so nice and refreshing. The summer better not be hot and disgusting.

Pretty impressive departures. Almost halfway into the month and Prague is -21.6F below normal, my Poland hometown of Bialystok is -23.6F below normal. Even Paris has a departure of -15.1F. And Bologna, Italy has received almost 50" of snow since January 31st. Unreal.

• Replies 188
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So jealous of the cold. Should have taken a trip north last month. This morning's 20F felt so nice and refreshing. The summer better not be hot and disgusting.

Pretty impressive departures. Almost halfway into the month and Prague is -21.6F below normal, my Poland hometown of Bialystok is -23.6F below normal. Even Paris has a departure of -15.1F. And Bologna, Italy has received almost 50" of snow since January 31st. Unreal.

Sigh

MonthTDeptUS.png

meanwhile in Japan (since no separate topic for Asia, just post this here)

good luck finding your house in this mess... :snowwindow:

Wow! It seemed like the driver was traveling through a snow tunnel on those roads! That looks like as much or more snow then SE Alaska last month! Amazing!

Josh,I was able to find a site with Prague weather records going back to the 1700's.

While it's tough to compete against that type of cold, this may be the coldest start

to February there since 1956.

Hey, thanks, Chris. That is pretty striking-- that this is the coldest first half of February in over a half-century.

Thanks for the link to that data. It seems to have averages but no record of extreme values. Grrrrrr.

Absolutely frigid in Moscow at the moment. -30C!

Yeah, it's still extremely cold there-- they'll barely hit zero Fahrenheit today.

But in Prague, it's really warming up now. PRG's low last night was 7F-- pretty mild compared to the past couple of nights-- and starting around 1 or 2 am, the temperature's been rising all morning. We're already up to 18F. Today should be our warmest in two weeks.

We're definitely coming out of the cold snap, now. I think it's over.

Hey, thanks, Chris. That is pretty striking-- that this is the coldest first half of February in over a half-century.

Thanks for the link to that data. It seems to have averages but no record of extreme values. Grrrrrr.

I got the extremes for February by clicking on February twice down at the bottom.

I got the extremes for February by clicking on February twice down at the bottom.

Cool-- I didn't see that. What's weird is that almost all of the extremes are from before 1950-- with a lot of them in the 1780s. Frankly, I'm a bit skeptical of those older data.

Anyhoo... I looked through the data for Dec, Jan, Feb, and Mar, and if I understood correctly, Sunday's -22C was the coldest in Prague since 1956. But, again, that's if I understood the data correctly. I should also point out that this station, the Prague Clementinum, is not PRG, so I guess it's not a perfectly scientific comparison.

It's really warmed up-- currently 34F at PRG!

Today is the first time in over two weeks that we've gotten above freezing. It's awesome-- feels nice to walk outside. The cold snap was interesting-- I guess any extreme is interesting-- but it was getting old and I'm glad it's over.

Dali nas razumjes?

I'm assuming that's a no LOL.. No, Serbo-Croatian is what I'm looking for lol.. But oh well, was curios at the snow-depth in Sarajevo ATM.

Yeah, they have some Slavic commonalities-- like, "razumjes" looks like "rozumiš", which is the you (informal) form of "understand" in Czech-- but they're completely different languages.

No clue Re: snow in the Balkans. Sorry!

Anyhoo-- and I know this is a little off topic-- but thank God I'm going to be back in Southern California in a week. I've had enough winter for the year. :sun:

When California's return after spending so much time in winter weather, they often require intensive therapy. Will you be okay??? Do not try to be brave and suppress your memories, as acknowledging what you experienced is the first step toward a healthy, tropical, recovery.

Archived