• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    happyweatherforyou
    Newest Member
    happyweatherforyou
Extreme Cold In Europe and Africa

1F at 8:30 pm. Temps are falling like a rock.

I was looking up your forecast on wunderground and saw:

Active Advisory: Extreme low temperature Temperature will fall to minimum below -20° C. It will be dangerous to stay outdoors even for short time without adequate cover of skin. Failure of water supply possible.

:yikes:

• Replies 188
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I was looking up your forecast on wunderground and saw:

Active Advisory: Extreme low temperature Temperature will fall to minimum below -20° C. It will be dangerous to stay outdoors even for short time without adequate cover of skin. Failure of water supply possible.

:yikes:

:D Yep! That just about describes the last two weeks here!

P.S. I'm actually going to walk a mile and half in this weather because I'm craving a steak this evening. :D

P.P.S. Do you get temps like this all the time where you are? Doesn't it get really cold up there?

:D Yep! That just about describes the last two weeks here!

P.S. I'm actually going to walk a mile and half in this weather because I'm craving a steak this evening. :D

P.P.S. Do you get temps like this all the time where you are? Doesn't it get really cold up there?

It does, but I wouldn't call it all the time. It's a steamy 33 right now.

-6 is my lowest temp for this year which is about average since the lake keeps me toasty compared to the surrounding areas.

We'll get cold snaps with highs in the single digits and lows below zero most every winter. Every now and then we'll get a brutal cold snap and I'll stay below zero all day. Hit -17.2 in Jan 2009.

My coldest ever is only -24 and that was way back in 1994. The area 45 miles to my north enjoys ferocious radiational cooling and gets into the -20 to -38 range pretty much every winter.

Enjoy your walk.

It does, but I wouldn't call it all the time. It's a steamy 33 right now.

-6 is my lowest temp for this year which is about average since the lake keeps me toasty compared to the surrounding areas.

We'll get a cold snap with highs in the single digits and lows below zero most every winter. Every now and then we'll get a brutal cold snap and I'll stay below zero all day. Hit -17.2 in Jan 2009.

My coldest ever is only -24 and that was way back in 1994. The area 45 miles to my north enjoys ferocious radiational cooling and gets into the -20 to -38 range pretty much every winter.

Enjoy your walk.

OK, so this harsh Prague cold is essentially routine for you. :lol: What a puss I am.

P.S. Yikes at some of your low temps.

And PRG has hit zero again. Woo hoo! :D

It's only 10:30 pm-- much earlier than our low readings during this cold snap, which have tended to occur between 5 and 8 am-- so I'm wondering if we might go mega-low by morning-- like -6F or even lower.

Tomorrow afternoon will be much warmer. We should make it to 20F.

Curious question Josh, when you stayed there in 2010, was it anywhere close to being this cold on a daily basis?

No. Definitely not. And I don't remember it being this cold anytime when I was living here full-time (2003-2007ish). My key learning from this cold snap is that Prague isn't really that cold climatologically-- at least, not as cold as I thought. Normal daytime highs this time of year are above freezing.

It's morning and temperatures are starting to rise, but we're still well below zero. I took a walk around the City Center and found it absolutely dreadful-- especially since a light breeze was blowing. Ice crystals formed inside my nose just from a single breath inward-- and when I got back inside, my face was red as if I'd been sunburnt. Anyone who likes this sort of thing is a pervert.

The morning lows were -8F at PRG and -6F in the City Center. I wonder when it was that PRG was last that cold. Does anyone have an easy way of finding out? Since I never track temperature data, I don't know the tricks of the trade.

It's morning and temperatures are starting to rise, but we're still well below zero. I took a walk around the City Center and found it absolutely dreadful-- especially since a light breeze was blowing. Ice crystals formed inside my nose just from a single breath inward-- and when I got back inside, my face was red as if I'd been sunburnt. Anyone who likes this sort of thing is a pervert.

The morning lows were -8F at PRG and -6F in the City Center. I wonder when it was that PRG was last that cold. Does anyone have an easy way of finding out? Since I never track temperature data, I don't know the tricks of the trade.

I've never understood the desire some people have to live somewhere that is brutally cold like that. I'm a southern boy and can handle heat all day long but me and cold temps don't get along!

Matter of fact tonight is one of our colder nights with temps at 20F and wind chills in the low teens and we have no heat at work so i'm freezing to death tonight at work.

I've never understood the desire some people have to live somewhere that is brutally cold like that. I'm a southern boy and can handle heat all day long but me and cold temps don't get along!

Matter of fact tonight is one of our colder nights with temps at 20F and wind chills in the low teens and we have no heat at work so i'm freezing to death tonight at work.

:lol:

I'm the Californian version of you. I can put up with (and actually dig) any kind of heat-- including the desert in the summertime-- but I just feel out of my element in the cold.

Stay warm! :)

Josh,I was able to find a site with Prague weather records going back to the 1700's.

While it's tough to compete against that type of cold, this may be the coldest start

to February there since 1956.

http://www.chmi.cz/portal/dt?portal_lang=en&menu=JSPTabContainer/P3_0_Informace_pro_Vas/P3_9_Historicka_data/P3_9_1_Pocasi/P3_9_1_6_Praha_Klementinum&last=false

Archived