Most Online
    Harmonie
    Newest Member
    Harmonie
Extreme Cold In Europe and Africa

• Replies 188
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well after last weekends 4-6 inches in the London area another 4-8 inches seems likely tomorrow into Friday morning, though thats going to be to the west of London this time round.

Well below average first 10 days or so...

Also I should just say some areas further north today are now reporting Freezing Rain.

Its a VERY rare to get Freezing Rain in the UK due mainly to the fact we have water all around us so it takes alot to get cold enough with uppers that are at the same time warmer, there tends to be 1-2 widespread instances of it a decade, today may turn out to be one of those sorts of days...all thanks to that deep cold pool over Europe I suppose!

Bitter cold tonight-- after some slight warming yesterday. (PRG actually hit 20F-- for the first time in a week.)

PRG's currently down to 3F, and it's not even midnight-- so another subzero night seems likely.

This is definitely the worst cold I've ever experienced. It's not just the low temps but the longevity of the cold snap. Except for yesterday's brief moment, we haven't cleared the teens in almost 10 days, with several days struggling to clear single digits and multiple mornings below 0F. I was almost getting accustomed to it yesterday, but tonight the cold really has an edge to it. I really felt it during a mere 15-minute walk.

I know folks in the Upper Plains deal with this all the time, but I think it's crazy.

New blizzard right now on central Italy.

Places like Urbino o Forli/Cesena are going to go above 1 meter of snow.

Snowing again Rome too.

Live webcam/TV of Forli

http://www.comune.forli.fc.it/streaming_piazzasaffi/

Urbino's webcam is quite self-talking ...

rinascimento_QXGA.JPG

Cesena

current.jpg

Bologna's hillside

nne.jpg

Bologna city

currentbackup.jpg

Pescara

http://www.pescarameteo.net/webcam/webcam.jpg

Abruzzo

webcam_small.jpeg

pesco.jpg

New blizzard right now on central Italy.

Places like Urbino o Forli/Cesena are going to go above 1 meter of snow.

Snowing again Rome too.

Live webcam/TV of Forli

http://www.comune.fo...ng_piazzasaffi/

Urbino's webcam is quite self-talking ...

Cesen

Bologna's hillside

Bologna city

Pescara

http://www.pescarame...bcam/webcam.jpg

Abruzzo

Wow, that looks like a scene from the day after tomorrow.

Bitter cold tonight-- after some slight warming yesterday. (PRG actually hit 20F-- for the first time in a week.)

PRG's currently down to 3F, and it's not even midnight-- so another subzero night seems likely.

This is definitely the worst cold I've ever experienced. It's not just the low temps but the longevity of the cold snap. Except for yesterday's brief moment, we haven't cleared the teens in almost 10 days, with several days struggling to clear single digits and multiple mornings below 0F. I was almost getting accustomed to it yesterday, but tonight the cold really has an edge to it. I really felt it during a mere 15-minute walk.

I know folks in the Upper Plains deal with this all the time, but I think it's crazy.

Is it really that cold? What I have usually found is that when it gets really cold over there, it is also really calm and still; practically no wind at all. When I was in Poland during January 2010, temps dropped down to -20F with a cold spell whose intensity was similar to this one. While it was definitely really cold, there was no wind chill at all. Felt warmer than NYC on most 20F days. Most of the people that have visited me during the winter say similar things.

BTW, I wish we would experience some real cold this winter. I've barely even worn my winter jacket and haven't been able to make use of my wonderful new scarves. Thank God I didn't buy expensive boots like I wanted to.

Is it really that cold? What I have usually found is that when it gets really cold over there, it is also really calm and still; practically no wind at all. When I was in Poland during January 2010, temps dropped down to -20F with a cold spell whose intensity was similar to this one. While it was definitely really cold, there was no wind chill at all. Felt warmer than NYC on most 20F days. Most of the people that have visited me during the winter say similar things.

BTW, I wish we would experience some real cold this winter. I've barely even worn my winter jacket and haven't been able to make use of my wonderful new scarves. Thank God I didn't buy expensive boots like I wanted to.

I've definitely noticed what you're saying-- that wind has a lot to do with it, and as long as it's perfectly still, it's not that bad. And I've also noticed during this cold snap that it's been remarkably still most of the time-- like you described the cold snaps in Poland. (We had a slight breeze last night-- maybe 5 or 10 kt-- and even that slight motion to the air gave it a real edge.) And I've also noticed that a windy night in NYC when it's 15F is in some ways worse than what we've felt here.

Still..... brrrrrr. :) I think it depends what you're used to. I'm from L.A. so this is off the charts for me. But if you're from Warsaw, Minsk, Kiev, or Moscow, this ain't so bad. One thing I learned during this cold snap is that Prague just isn't that cold, climatologically. Like, normal daytime highs this time of year are above freezing. So this is just really cold even for this region.

tmagan, thanks for posting the isotherm map. It looks like a tongue of cold air came W from Russia, and that's why it's so cold this morning.

PRG went down to -4F around 7:30 am; the City Center down to -2F. Temperatures are starting to rise now but we're still below zero. At a Starbucks on the main city square. Cold chase!!1! :P

It's been fun to read your posts Josh. Have you gotten any real snow? And Matthew, that is truly unreal. You must be having so much fun. How much snow did Rome get and how much where you are?

:) Thanks!

We got a couple of inches in the city the other day-- which coincided with a slight rise in the temps. But that's really all the snow we've seen all winter. Except for this cold snap-- which started just around the beginning of the month-- it's been a mild, almost completely snowless winter.

Archived