• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Monty
    Newest Member
    Monty
First half of February...another pattern shift?

ORH_wxman

I have never seen a winter with so many weenie terms being thrown around, all in the hope a pattern would change or bring snow.

Strat warming

tropical forcing

roundy

pna

every winter has them, this winter was just obnoxious..........its time to move on if you live on the CP, and darn close for the interior of course different story in cne and nne. Pitchers and Catchers reporting momentarily, March Madness around the corner, and The Masters. Enjoy this weekend, the weather is magnificent.

well they aren't being tossed around without reason.

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks to the Jan Strat warming and just enough tropical forcing, according to Roundy a positive PNA will help.

Looks like the strat warming helped the other side of the pole, euro may have had the right idea regarding tropical forcing and less tc development in the pac, not as much latent heat released as the gfs was showing? One eyed pig south of ack beating down the pna ridge, not as amplified as once thought with the eastern trough not sharp enough for phasing? Sure hope this weekend storm comes north, was the trend most of the winter...hope it does not go away just when we need it one would think the tropical forcing would help the se ridge nudge some dendrites up this way.

Not giving up on Sunday yet.

Frustrating as all get out.

In other news weekend event trending north, praying we get some sort of a phase, if not advisory snows looking likely for our firends to the south.

trending north of what?

wrong sub-forum lol... trending north so that philly might get some snow

eyes still on Feb 10-16 timeframe, multiple potentials per GFS/GEFS if we get a fairly deep trough with PV diving and northern/southern streams interact

More like one eye on that.

I do actually have 2 eyes. :rolleyes:

I don't think it's so unreasonable, though if GEFS trend towards Euro it's over...

I'm not taking any potential to the bank by any means (and personally, still invested in a futility record as I've been since December).

But I'm also not the "one eye". As you know, there's been lots of attention to the MJO outlooks on GFS vs. Euro and impact on Feb 10-16 timeframe. And here's a good post from the NYC thread yesterday:

Nice post Tom and I agree with all of your thoughts. The tropical forcing forecasts have been highly unstable this season. Interestingly enough i've noticed the ECMWF has had a tendency to be too weak with the waves so far. I'm not sure if there is any statistical data somewhere on this...but it's definitely something I have picked up on over the past few months of forecasting.

The pattern laid out on the GFS and GEFS is a very interesting one. There's a split flow underneath the ridge out west and a generally well-positioned PV signal. It's not too far south yet so that it would suppress the upper level flow...and it's also not too far north so that it could work against us. Obviously the positioning of this becomes key and a lot of that works in tandem with the higher latitude ridging or above normal anomalies we're seeing on some of the ensemble guidance.

We will have to see how this plays out...I really don't think we know all the details on the synoptics of this one yet. But as advertised it looks interesting with some well positioned features. I really like the look of the broad trough coming out of the southern stream. When the PV is well positioned it loves to get involved and interact with those types of features.

The other option on the table here is that the southern stream trough never really ejects out of it's comfortable position. In that case the PV will swing through and that'll be that. We will see.

post-6-0-48416100-1328231009.png

I dont even think Will posted last night:(..........and phil mentioned in the obs thread how insanely boring things have been, and was hoping for some storms in March. Was Ryan ever on the bus?

They all pointed to 10-12 as our best chance. Lets hope it materializes, and yea that Storm is way north of progs already, good hit NJ Balt?

Archived