• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Monty
    Newest Member
    Monty
First half of February...another pattern shift?

ORH_wxman

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The MJO differences in NCEP vs Euro (and UK) are pretty important imo as far as getting a colder pattern going. NCEP keeps the forcing strong and looks to be heading all the way around to 8-1-2(maybe) while ECM brings it through but at a much weaker amplitide. Could the tropical forcing be a major factor that accounts for the stark differences in the long range?

NCEP

post-1511-0-07957400-1328215042.gif

ECM

post-1511-0-37182800-1328215080.gif

Tip gets his V-Day massacre in the form of a warm spell on the EC, but lets see what it does afterwards. It's slowly coming up WRT heights near AK.

Yeah still looks repulsive in the Feb 13-16 time range, but it def looks like there could be some ridging building back into AK/NW Canada.

Seems like the strat warming worked, and Europe is paying the price.

More so than locally, yes... I posted about this earlier, elaborating how the eurasia is in the deep freeze as it has become clear the -AO loading took place almost entirely on that side of the pool. It may shift around if can get out of this Global wave cycle.

More so than locally, yes... I posted about this earlier, elaborating how the eurasia is in the deep freeze as it has become clear the -AO loading took place almost entirely on that side of the pool. It may shift around if can get out of this Global wave cycle.

Pretty amazing stuff.

I don't know. Still the euro does not want to let go of an awful 11-15 day torch. It did try to raise heights just a bit so we'll have to see if the trend continues, because that will have a big effect of storm track..not necessarily overall temps.

Just imho, I'm not really too distracted by the Euro these days as it has recently been out-done by the GFS in verification through D8! ...yes, that's 1-8. THAT's pretty amazing, too. That's the 30 day mean, too.

Some awesome discussion in the pinned medium range thread on the main board, amazing differences between the gfs and euro, the mjo and all sorts of goodies. Its going to be fun to watch it all play out and to see what guidance was correct or if indeed its a compromise.

I've been onto the Euro as suspect a few times over the last 45 days (actually), but hadn't bothered to look it up. I have written a couple diatribing opines, odes to the Euro throwing us phantoms over that time. Not surprising to see it graphically - no.

One must wonder why that is.. As of last, I thought the Euro still had superior ingest. Interesting. Perhaps there is something native to the pattern types so far that is more suited to GFS bias envelope - making it stick out as the superior performer. Who knows.

This comes from Dr. Roundy via Phil in the main forum on the stark difference between the Euro and GEFS as of late to answer some of our questions.

As for what Roundy had to say about this current episode... hes certainly interested in the current asymmetrical appearance of the MJO currently and whether or not it will actually become more symmetric at the equator like the forecast projects. For those that like cold in the east, a more symmetrical MJO or even a MJO asymmetric in the northern hemisphere would be preferred for a more significant impact on the mid-latitude pattern in the United States. One other nugget worth sharing is that the reason why the GFS and ECMWF have different magnitudes with respect to the MJO has a lot to do with how much they are developing the TCs over the South Pacific. The GFS is much more bullish on tropical cyclogenesis which would tend to enhance the MJO signal. The ECMWF has been much more bearish with development, and thus the -OLR anomalies are not as impressive and thus a weaker amplitude MJO.

We've seen better warmings then this, but we'll take it...

time_pres_TEMP_ANOM_ALL_NH_2012.gif

The troposphere / stratosphere interaction will continue to allow this to make it down. Time to get that Siberian Block to the pole...

It's a "weak" propagator - interestingly enough. The u-mean wind anomalies are almost non-detecting on this - that makes it ...maybe "a little" dubious to be causal for the -AO; but then again, ...here we are.

This comes from Dr. Roundy via Phil in the main forum on the stark difference between the Euro and GEFS

As for what Roundy had to say about this current episode... hes certainly interested in the current asymmetrical appearance of the MJO currently and whether or not it will actually become more symmetric at the equator like the forecast projects. For those that like cold in the east, a more symmetrical MJO or even a MJO asymmetric in the northern hemisphere would be preferred for a more significant impact on the mid-latitude pattern in the United States. One other nugget worth sharing is that the reason why the GFS and ECMWF have different magnitudes with respect to the MJO has a lot to do with how much they are developing the TCs over the South Pacific. The GFS is much more bullish on tropical cyclogenesis which would tend to enhance the MJO signal. The ECMWF has been much more bearish with development, and thus the -OLR anomalies are not as impressive and thus a weaker amplitude MJO.

I remember reading a paper about the distribution/density of convection above and below the Equator as having an impact on corellate-ability of the MJO on middle latitudes. Fascinating ...and intuitively correct stuff really.

What I'm less clear on is why the OLR from TC's counts all that much, because the MJO domain only extends above and below the Equator to ~ 15 degrees N and S. The typical TC genesis extends outside that domain overlaps, but is 10N-30N and 10S to 30S.

Meh, I suppose it doesn't matter when you think about it. Bottom line is, equatorward convection in general, and where the source of large masses of latent heat are injecting into the circulation.

I remember reading a paper about the distribution/density of convection above and below the Equator as having an impact on corellate-ability of the MJO on middle latitudes. Fascinating ...and intuitively correct stuff really.

What I'm less clear on is why the OLR from TC's counts all that much, because the MJO domain only extends above and below the Equator to ~ 15 degrees N and S. The typical TC genesis extends outside that domain overlaps, but is 10N-30N and 10S to 30S.

Meh, I suppose it doesn't matter when you think about it. Bottom line is, equatorward convection in general, and where the source of large masses of latent heat are injecting into the circulation.

Well some of the TC activity down there stems from the Monsoon trough. It's actually around 10-15S so it would fit. There has been a ton of convection down there. I know..I had to map out areas of SCT-BKN and BKN convection down that way.

Well some of the TC activity down there stems from the Monsoon trough. It's actually around 10-15S so it would fit. There has been a ton of convection down there. I know..I had to map out areas of SCT-BKN and BKN convection down that way.

Yeah, hense the overlap..

TC DEFINITELY pump HUGE amounts of latent heat into the atmosphere.

I think EC? But maybe not by much. I think the GFS was close and even did better the season before.

Probably was... because that way, the operational run's penchants for disappointment gets to be rooted in veracious cause ...effectively/affectively ending winter before it began.

Seriously though, not sure we can even ask the question without breaking out each Basin, and, each Basin by season.

Weeklies are an unmitigated disaster and brutal torch weeks 3 and 4..even week 2 isn't cold..Brutal

who cares what the EC predicts weeks 3 and 4....and i would say EXACTLY the same thing if it was calling for cold.

lets see wether the EC or GFS is more correct w/ MJO ....great thread in general weather discussion thread

Archived