• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    BlueSkyGA
    Newest Member
    BlueSkyGA
CME on the Way

A CME resulting from the M8.7/2B LDE Proton 10Flare at 23/0359Z in region 1302 is expected to reach us about 24/1418Z +/- 7 hours. Active to major Gemag storm levels with possible severe storm periods are expected. Observers are advised to watch the Gemag reports closely during the 7 hours prior to 1418Z in case the CME arrives early since the midnight to dawn sector is the best for auroral activity. Looks the Kiwis and Aussies luck out again if it comes on time. A S3 Radiation is in progress.

Steve

"Earlier, it was stated that the current Solar Radiation Storm was the largest since May 2005, when the 10 MeV protons exceeded over 3000 PFU. This was not correct. At the time of the earlier post, this current Storm was the biggest since January 2005, when the 10 MeV flux was 5040 pfu. After the arrival of the CME earlier today, the 10 MeV flux again increased and we were at around 6300 pfu. This is now the largest Solar Radiation Storm since October 2003. (The Halloween Storms)"

Btotal: 8.8 nT

Bz: 5.4 nT north

lol... hopefully things improve because that's pretty useless for northern lights.

We don't want it to ramp up yet! Its not even dark yet. I like that it hasn't hit it peak yet.. it was almost an Xclass flare, it's gonna produce something.

We currently have a K Index of 5( per the 15 min intervals)

I think we are looking good on this one with the delayed peak and cearing skies

I remember back when I was in college, I think it was either 1988 or 1989, we saw the borealis in Oneonta, on few nights in a row. So my thinking was that they would last longer than the flare itself.

The 1989 Gemag was caused by a much larger and slower moving CME plus a more favorable Sun-Earth Geometry. The host flare of that storm (the third most intense on record behind 1859 and 1921) was a high X-class flare and one of many that occurred with region 5395 during disk transit so we also had multiple CME hits. As seen from AZ, the 1989 aurora lasted for two nights and the GPS system crashed totally for over 24 hours. With a 24 hour A index of 388 (400 is max), the 1989 event was as Cat 5 as you can get and is the poster child for what can happen with Cat 5 Gemags based upon what DID happen.

Steve

wxbrad (Brad Panovich WCNC)

Reports of people from Wilmington, NC to Charleston,SC seeing faint green #auroas looking north. h/t/@traciwilson #scwx #ncwx

im not sure how that's possible given the current ovals etc.

Yeah I was shocked to see that...I doubt even if it was perfectly clear here you could see anything...perhaps portions of northern NNE but the mid-Atlantic?

he just retweeted one from va. who knows i guess. without photos im skeptical. :P

Yeah I was shocked to see that...I doubt even if it was perfectly clear here you could see anything...perhaps portions of northern NNE but the mid-Atlantic?

Just took some long exposure photos since it's unexpectedly clear... not even a trace of a glow.

If anyone in those two light polluted cities is seeing a visual green glow, they should probably be taking iodine pills.

Just took some long exposure photos since it's unexpectedly clear... not even a trace of a glow.

If anyone in those two light polluted cities is seeing a visual green glow, they should probably be taking iodine pills.

the power of suggestion is powerful.

I wonder if i'll ever get a chance to see it in my lifetime at my location. My chances would likely be much higher if I took a trip up to our place in vermont.

i saw it in ct twice.. oct 03 of course and then in 2005 when i had a camera http://www.wundergro...ex/300?gallery= (though that pic says it was the first time so maybe the power of suggestion got me in 2003)

i doubt i'll see it here but aurora and a monument would be sweet.

i saw it in ct twice.. oct 03 of course and then in 2005 when i had a camera http://www.wundergro...ex/300?gallery= (though that pic says it was the first time so maybe the power of suggestion got me in 2003)

i doubt i'll see it here but aurora and a monument would be sweet.

That is pretty cool. Great photo, too. It seems like we have run into a 'dead period' per se in regards to getting these down here -- but then again they seem to be incredibly rare to begin with..so the dead period may be more of a normal period.

Archived